Raise your hand if you like easy one dish meals!
Ive been making this dish for years and years and it has served me well. I might be a little bias because I have a thing for white rice. I love the nutty, sweet smell it has as its cooking, the way each grain is a little firm, but as a spoonful is fluffy, and the way you can add a little or a lot of flavor to it. Its the only food I can remember as a picky 8 year old, and now in my ripe old age of 31 things have not changed. If I was to be stranded on a desert island and could only bring one food, white rice would be it. Obsessed? Maybe. But try this dish and you might just understand why!
First of all lets talk about how easy this is. You pour the rice on the bottom of a dish, place bone-in chicken on top, spice, add some veggies and then chicken broth or water. About an hour and a half later, when your house smells like heaven, you will have this pretty thing to dig in to.
The chicken will be crispy on top, but soft and juicy underneath. The rice will soak up all the liquid, and the juices from the chicken will give it that extra boost of flavor. Not sure if that is my favorite part, or if its the crispy rice edges, which are similarly coveted like the corner piece of a pan full of brownies. I have to use every bit of self control when I make this, because I can easily polish off half of it by myself, no shame included.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.
- Cooking spray or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups of jasmine rice
- ½ tsp salt
- 6-8 skin on, bone in chicken thighs and legs
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 onion peeled, halved, and sliced
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a large roasting pan or oven to table dish with oil spray or coat with olive oil.
- Pour the rice into the pan, spread evenly, and season with salt.
- Place the chicken pieces on top of the rice, leaving about 1 inch or so of space in between.
- Season with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Scatter the sliced vegetables all over the chicken and rice.
- Pour the chicken stock (recommended) or water around the sides of the dish, not on top of the chicken or else it will wash away the spices.
- Spray the chicken with the cooking spray or drizzle more olive oil on top of the chicken pieces.
- Cover and bake for 45 mins, then uncover, raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees and bake for another 15-20 mins.
- Dig in!