Hot damn this cake is so good.
Very often I buy bananas; and then very often they sit on my counter till they are bruised and black in the bowl in the corner of my kitchen where my fruit go to die. Sometimes I do get to them before they over-ripen, for smoothies and things, but when its been too long and its just about time to *almost* throw them away, I make this.
Double chocolate chip banana loaf cake.
Yes my friends, double the chocolate, double the fun.
The overripe banana has a certain sweetness to it that blends so well with the rest of the ingredients to make up a chocolatey, fluffy, and not overly banana-y tasting yummy cake. Its funny how something that in and of itself seems gross but then is transformed into this goodness.
Another major draw to making this cake is that is smells so heavenly while its baking that sometimes I actually sit in front of the oven just to inhale the scent, and might even open the oven door early to get a whiff . Please don’t judge me…
Try it. I aint lyin.
- ½ cup Earth balance or margarine
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 tsp flour, separated
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 5x11 loaf pan with oil- preferably Baker's Joy
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the Earth Balance and sugars and mix very well
- Add the chopped bananas and mix well to combine
- Add eggs, one at a time, stirring to combine in between
- Add in the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda and mix.
- Add in the vanilla, stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, add 1 tsp flour and the chocolate chips. Toss together to coat to ensure the chips won't sink to the bottom of the cake.
- Pour the chocolate chip/flour mixture into the batter and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake 35-40 mins