Yes, this dish deserves all caps all the time. It is definitely on the top 5 list of my favorite things to eat AND make. Insanely delicious (and healthy) meal without an insane amount of effort equals a major win in my book.
I don’t know if you know this about me but I have a thing with runny eggs. By thing, I mean massive love affair. Fewer things give me greater joy than popping that yellow golden bubble of deliciousness and watching it ooze down onto whatever thing I am eating basically just to have an egg on it. Burgers, noodle bowls, rice, even pizza- put an egg on it for instant elevation and want status.
Shakshuka in my opinion is perfection because its quick, and all about the egg. Start off sautéing an onion, add in sliced peppers if you have the time and feel fancy, chop some tomatoes, pour in some jarred (aint nobody got time) tomato sauce and let it bubble away for a few minutes. Using a spoon, make a well for each egg that you have and pour it in. Let it cook on medium for 7-8 minutes or until the whites are set and the yolks are slightly jiggly still. I like to throw on some feta cheese after, and a sprinkle of parsley for flavor brightness and because it looks pretty.
The best part about this dish (besides for the eggs obviously) is that you eat it straight out of your skillet (!!) which means no extra dishes to wash! Win win win. Make sure you serve it with good crusty bread or a toasted wrap to soak or scoop up all the yumminess. You can make this a single serving with two eggs or for more, just make a couple more wells and throw in the eggs and voila!
The only downside to that is that you have to share.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- ½ red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium tomato or handful cherry tomatos chopped
- ¾ cup of your favorite jarred tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- feta cheese (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- In a 9' skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add in chopped onions and a pinch of salt, sauté 5 mins
- Add in chopped peppers and tomatos, saute 2 more mins
- Add in tomato sauce and cook for 2 mins
- Using a spoon make a well in the sauce and pour one of the eggs in. Repeat this step about 2 inches away from the first egg.
- Do not stir. Let the eggs cook uncovered on medium heat for 7-8 mins, or until the whites are set and you see small bubbles rise to the top of the yolk.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle eggs with pepper, feta cheese, and parsley if desired.