This Citrus Cabbage Salad takes only minutes to prepare, and is bursting with bright citrus flavor from the grapefruit and tangy lemon poppyseed dressing!
Should we talk about how easy this citrus cabbage salad is?
Especially if you are already buying the pre-shredded cabbage, this citrus cabbage salad comes together in literally 5 minutes!!
Do you guys know that winter time is citrus season?
When I found that out, I thought it was so strange because when I think of citrus, for some reason I just think of summer.
Lemon, grapefruit, blood oranges- they are all such bright flavors that remind me of sunshine, but winter time is really when they shine!
I combined all those fresh flavors into one easy salad that you can even make ahead.
What’s in this citrus cabbage salad:
Crunchy white cabbage, juicy grapefruit and blood oranges, creamy avocado, and a little salty, crunchy kick from sunflower seeds- all dressed in a tangy lemon poppyseed dressing.
Not only is this salad delicious, but it is also so super pretty! I chose to slice the grapefruit and oranges into rounds but you can definitely cut them up any way you want.
How to slice grapefruit or oranges into rounds:
First you need to cut off each end of the fruit so that you have a flat surface to balance it on. Then using a sharp knife starting at the top of the fruit, start to cut the peel off going in a downward direction. Make sure you are getting only most of the peel and not a lot of the juicy flesh coming off.
Go around the fruit until the whole peel including the white pith is off, its ok if a little bit of the pith is still on but you want most of it off. Then slice the fruit into rounds.
You did it!
If that’s too much work for you, you for sure can buy the pre-peeled grapefruit, or even mandarin oranges to cut down on time even further.
You can also use regular oranges throughout the year if blood oranges aren’t available. Usually you can only get them throughout the winter season, but that doesn’t mean you can only make this salad during the winter! Just use regular oranges instead.
Thats what I love about this citrus cabbage salad, its the perfect winter or summer salad.
Great for when you need an easy side to a hearty winter meal, or if you need something light for a summer barbecue.
The lemon poppyseed dressing, can also be made in a jiffy.
I shoved all the ingredients into a medium sized Tupperware and shook it up. You can double it and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Such a good idea if you plan on making this salad over and over again like I did!
If you are a grapefruit lover like me you’ll be glad to know that a bunch of other food bloggers and I collaborated on creating recipes all featuring this delicious fruit!
Check out the links below for some more awesome grapefruit recipes from my fellow food bloggers and look for the #greatfruitgrapefruit on Instagram!
- Olive & Mango – Pink Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
- Square Meal Round Table – Pink Grapefruit Cheesecake
- Katiebird Bakes – Grapefruit Yogurt Bundt Cake
- My Kitchen Love – Grapefruit Poppyseed Mini Bundt Cakes
- Baking The Goods – Grapefruit Coconut Bars
- Always Eat Dessert – Grapefruit Tart
5 ingredient Citrus Cabbage Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
- 10 oz bag shredded green cabbage or 1 small head cabbage chopped
- 1 large grapefruit peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 blood or navel orange peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 avocados diced
- ¼ salted sunflower seeds
- For the lemon poppyseed dressing
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 medium size lemons juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup poppyseed
- In a large serving bowl, combine all the salad ingredients.
- In a jar or even a medium size tupperware with a lid, combine the salad dressing ingredients and shake or whisk till combined.
- Pour over the salad and toss.
- This salad can be made a day in advance
- You can slice the grapefruit and oranges any way you want, I just think they look pretty in rounds!
- Red cabbage is a great substitute for green cabbage if you don't have it.