This post might have affiliate links, please check out my full disclosure policy.
This Super Moist Banana Coffee Cake is the perfect breakfast or brunch dish! The banana flavor is sweet and delicious, and the texture is melt in your mouth perfection. Serve with a warm mug of coffee or tea or enjoy as a special treat!
Got ripe bananas to use up? This banana crumb cake is the perfect way to use them!
Coffee cake is a cake that is designed to be served with coffee, it doesnt necessarily have coffee in it! We do love having it with a cup of coffee at breakfast though!
The texture of this cake is more dense than a typical cake and the flavor is often enhanced with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom.
Coffee cake is amazing because it is so versatile flavor wise. You can make an apple coffee cake, cherry coffee cake, rhubarb coffee cake, and even mini triple berry coffee cakes!
This banana coffee cake recipe has all of those delicious flavors and more! As a trained pastry chef I can tell you that these flavors really hit home for me.
The banana flavor is subtle but adds a sweetness that takes this coffee cake to the next level. The crumb topping is packed with brown sugar and crunchy bits that add the perfect finishing touch.
If you love banana then this banana chocolate chip muffins are not to be missed. You’ll also love my banana bundt cake and chocolate banana muffins!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- The texture is super moist making it hard to resist!
- It’s a great way to use up ripe bananas.
- The banana flavor is subtle but adds a delicious sweetness to the coffee cake.
- You can serve it for breakfast, brunch, or dessert!
For the crumb topping:
- All-Purpose Flour – Makes up the base of the crumb topping by adding its dry crumbly texture.
- Brown & White Sugar – Gives the topping sweetness, and color, and helps with texture.
- Cinnamon – Adds a light warming flavor to the topping.
- Salt – Balances out the sweetness.
- Cold Butter – Used to bind the ingredients together making them crumbly and buttery.
- Unsalted Butter – Adds flavor and moistness to the cake along with a buttery flavor.
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens up the base of the cake to compliment the crumb topping and glaze.
- Egg – Binds all of the ingredients together and also adds richness to the batter.
- Ripe Bananas – Gives this cake a moist and dense texture along with banana flavor and natural sweetness.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a complimentary light vanilla flavor throughout the cake.
- Buttermilk – Instead of regular milk, buttermilk adds a subtle tang and tender crumb that works so well with banana cake.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – Helps the cake to rise and become fluffy.
- All-Purpose Flour – Gives the cake its structure.
- Cinnamon – A small amount of cinnamon warms up the banana flavor and compliments the sweetness.
- Salt – Balances out all of the flavors in the cake.
- Optional Glaze – Make this cake extra sweet by making a simple glaze with confectioners sugar and cream to go on top.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA COFFEE CAKE
- Prepare the crumb topping: In a small bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or your hands until small pebble-sized shapes are formed. Store in the fridge.
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 10” springform pan with baking spray and set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients: In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter for one minute. Scrape down the sides and add the sugar. Cream for 2 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl again and add the egg, mashed bananas, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Combine the wet ingredients: In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, kosher salt cinnamon, and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- Assemble the cake batter: In the bowl of the stand mixer, alternate adding the dry ingredients with the buttermilk starting and ending with the dry ingredients- ⅓ at a time- mixing in between each addition.
- Bake the coffee cake: Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Top with the crumb topping and bake for 50-55 minutes until the cake is set through the center. Let cool completely.
- Glaze and serve: Mix the cream with the sugar until a thick glaze is formed. Drizzle over the cooled coffee cake. Let harden, slice, and enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Make sure your bananas are ripe- the riper the banana the more banana flavor you will get in your cake!
- A coffee cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs attached.
- Be sure not to over mix the batter. Mix until just combined for a tender and fluffy cake.
- Make sure all of the refrigerated ingredients are at room temperature (except for the butter for crumb topping) before beginning the recipe to ensure a smooth cake batter.
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can easily make your own by adding one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk called for in the recipe and letting it sit for five minutes.
- If you have extra bananas make these cinnamon bananas!
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: This banana coffee cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days or in the fridge for up to one week.
Freezing: Leftover banana coffee cake can also be frozen! Wrap tightly and freeze for up to three months. Let thaw overnight on the counter before serving.
Can a banana coffee cake be made ahead of time?
Yes! This banana coffee cake can be made up to one day in advance. Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.
How do you make the banana coffee cake moist?
The key to a moist banana coffee cake is using ripe bananas and not overmixing the batter. Overmixing banana coffee cake will result in a tough and dry texture.
What does banana coffee cake go well with?
This banana coffee cake goes great with a cup of coffee or tea for breakfast or brunch. It’s also delicious served as a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
What can I make this in if I dont have a springform pan? You can make this in a regular 9″ round cake pan but make sure to either spray the pan really well with baking spray or line with parchment paper for easy release.
MORE breakfast Recipes
Super Moist Banana Coffee Cake
For crumb topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour 120g
- ½ cup brown sugar 107g
- ¼ cup sugar 50g
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup butter unsalted, cold, diced small.
- ½ cup butter softened 113 g unsalted
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 1 egg large
- 1 cup bananas ripe mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour 240g
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon or more to taste
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk
For Optional Glaze:
- ½ cup confectioners sugar 56g
- 1 tbsp cream
- Make the crumb topping. In a small bowl combine the 1 cup flour, 1/2 brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 -1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut in the ½ cup butter or pinch the butter into the mixture with your fingers gently until small clumps are formed no larger than the size of a pea. Place in the fridge while you make the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter for one minute. Scrape down the sides and add the 1 cup sugar. Cream for 2 minutes on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the bowl again and add the egg, mashed bananas and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl combine the 2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp kosher salt ½ tsp cinnamon and ¼ tsp baking soda. Mix lightly with a fork or whisk to combine.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients with the buttermilk starting and ending with the dry ingredients- ⅓ at a time- mixing in between each addition.
- Spray a 10” springform pan with baking spray and pour in the batter.
- Top with the crumb topping and bake for 50-55 minutes on until the cake is no longer jiggly.
- When the cake is cooled, mix together the ½ cup confectioners sugar with 1 tbsp cream and drizzle all over the cake.
Leave a comment & rate this recipe