Short on time? This Quick Lemon Pudding Bundt Cake is a quick and easy cake recipe that will show you how to make a delicious bundt cake with lemon cake mix and lemon pudding mix. The result is a zesty and refreshing cake that is perfect for summer gatherings or potlucks!
Even as a trained pastry chef, sometimes I take shortcuts . . . delicious shortcuts! If you’ve ever needed a dessert that is decadent and tasty, sometimes it’s ok to use quick items like store bought cake mix or boxed pudding mix.
This lemon bundt cake is made with both Duncan Hines lemon cake mix along with lemon zest, egg, oil, water, and a box of lemon pudding mix. That’s it! Just 7 ingredients to make up the base of this cake.
Simply add all of the ingredients to a bowl or stand mixer, bake, then finish it off with a simple glaze. This refreshing lemon flavor is great for summer BBQ’s or any occasion where you need a quick dessert that tastes fresh out of a bakery!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- The base of the cake is made with just 7 simple ingredients including cake mix and pudding mix.
- The lemon flavor is perfectly refreshing for the summer months.
- No need to use a mixer, this cake can be whipped up by hand easily!
- Perfect when you need a quick decadent dessert that tastes as it came straight out of a professional bakery!
- Lemon Cake Mix – You can find lemon-flavored cake mix in most grocery stores in the baking section. My favorite one to use is the lemon supreme flavor by Duncan Hines.
- Lemon Pudding Mix – Also found in the baking section, lemon pudding mix gives the cake a moist and dense crumb while keeping it light and fluffy. You will only use the dry powder, not make the actual pudding.
- Lemon Zest & Lemon Juice – Adds a fresh zesty lemon flavor that complements the cake and pudding mix.
- Water – Used to thin out the cake mixture to get it to the perfect cake batter consistency.
- Eggs – Binds the cake ingredients together and helps the cake set properly.
- Vegetable Oil – Adds a moist richness to the cake.
- Confectioners Sugar – This finely milled sugar mixes with the liquid ingredients to create a thick drizzle texture.
- Cream – Some cream or milk helps thin out the glaze to make it a pourable consistency.
- Lemon Zest – Adds a bright lemon flavor to the glaze that complements the rest of the cake.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON BUNDT CAKE WITH CAKE MIX
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 10-cup bundt cake pan with baking spray heavily and set aside.
Assemble the cake batter: Add the paddle attachment to the bowl of a stand mixer. You can also use an electric mixer with a mixing bowl. Pour in the cake mix and pudding powder and mix until combined on low for 30 seconds. Then, add the lemon zest, lemon juice, water, and eggs. Give it a mix on medium speed for one minute before adding the vegetable oil and mixing again just until fully combined.
Bake the cake: Pour the cake batter into the prepared bundt cake pan. Add to the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the cake is set. After it cools for 10 minutes, flip it onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Glaze and serve: While the cake is cooling mix the glaze ingredients together in a small mixing bowl until well combined. Once the cake is cooled, drizzle over top. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Learn how to bake and get a bundt cake out of a pan perfectly.
- The best oils to use are either canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Make sure the eggs are at room temperature before mixing into the cake batter as this will help them to mix in more evenly.
- For the glaze, add enough cream until you reach your desired consistency. If you want a thinner glaze, add more cream until it reaches the consistency you desire.
- Add a tablespoon of poppyseed to the cake batter for a nutty flavor and texture. to make a lemon poppyseed bundt cake.
- 4-5 lemons of medium-large size will give you about 1/2 cup of lemon juice. To get the juices flowing out of the lemon easier, roll it on a hard surface with a bit of pressure, then cut it in half and squeeze.
This cake makes enough to feed 12-15 people.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: This cake can be made a day in advance and stored covered at room temperature until you are ready to serve it. If you make it further in advance, I recommend storing it in the fridge for up to four days.
Freezing: To freeze bundt cake, wrap it tightly in cling film or place it in an airtight container and freeze for up to two months. Let the cake thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
How many boxes of cake mix do I need for a Bundt pan?
This recipe uses a 10-cup bundt cake pan that needs only one box of cake mix. Other recipes may vary depending on the size and texture of the cake.
What can I use instead of lemon pudding mix?
If you can’t find lemon-flavored pudding mix, try using vanilla. Adjust the lemon flavor by adding a few drops of lemon extract.
What if I don’t have a bundt cake pan?
You can use any size or shape of cake pan that you have on hand. The bake time will vary depending on the size and shape of the pan.
Can I make this cake without the glaze?
Yes, the cake is delicious on its own. If you choose not to make the glaze, sprinkle confectioners sugar over the top of the cake before serving.
MORE LEMON DESSERTS
We love the flavor of lemon in any baked treat! Try these delicious lemon recipes for your next holiday or party!
- Lemon Poppyseed Cake
- Lemon Meringue Cookies
- One Bowl Classic Lemon Cupcakes
- Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Easy Lemon Bars (3 Ways!)
Quick Lemon Pudding Bundt Cake
- 15.25 oz box lemon cake mix ( I use duncan hines lemon supreme)
- 3.5 oz lemon pudding mix (just the dry powder, not made)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup lemon juice fresh
- 4 eggs large
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp cream or milk
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 10 cup bundt pan heavily with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the dry cake mix and lemon pudding powder and mix on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the lemon zest, ½ cup water, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 4 eggs. Mix on low -medium speed for 1 minute. Add ½ cup oil and mix again.
- Fill the prepared bundt cake pan with batter. Bake for 35 mins.
- Cool for 10 mins then flip over onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Optional Lemon Glaze
- Mix the ½ cup confectioners sugar with 1 tbsp cream and ½ tsp lemon zest until fully combined.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.