These Moist and Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes are perfect for summer! They are made from scratch with fresh strawberries and topped with a homemade strawberry buttercream frosting. These cupcakes are light, fluffy, and delicious can be served at any spring or summer party!
Summer is in full gear which means it’s fresh berry season! There’s no better way to add fresh strawberries into your life than in cupcake form. Between these cupcakes below, my strawberry lemon cupcakes, one bowl classic lemon cupcakes, and my strawberry filled cupcakes you are all set for summer cupcakes!
These cupcakes are made with simple baking ingredients along with pureed strawberries right in the batter. This gives them a natural light pink color and a lovely strawberry flavor that’s naturally sweet and fresh.
The best part? A homemade strawberry buttercream frosting tops these delicious cupcakes. The cream cheese frosting is made with just a few ingredients, and is a perfect combination of sweet, tangy, and creamy!
When I was in pastry school we played a lot with flavor, and strawberry is always a winner!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- A great way to use up fresh local strawberries in season.
- These cupcakes can be topped with strawberry buttercream or strawberry cream cheese frosting.
- It uses simple baking ingredients that are easy to assemble.
- Fresh Strawberries – The addition of fresh strawberries into the cupcake batter add natural sweetness and strawberry flavor along with a beautiful pink color.
- Buttermilk – Gives the cupcake batter a lovely light and fluffy texture when mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
- Butter – Adds a rich buttery flavor and moisture to the cupcakes.
- Sugar – Sweetens up the base of the cupcake batter.
- Egg & Egg Whites – The eggs bind the ingredients together while the whites add lift and structure to the cupcakes.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – These are leavening agents that help the cupcakes to rise while baking.
- Strawberry Extract – Adds additional strawberry flavor to the cupcakes. Vanilla extract can also be used.
- All-Purpose Flour – Adds structure to the cupcakes and helps bind all of the ingredients together.
- Salt – Activates the leavening agents while helping to balance the sweet flavor in the cupcakes.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES from scratch
- Prepare the strawberries: Add the fresh strawberries and buttermilk to a blender and blend together until pureed.
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar: In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, sugar, and cream together for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs and extract: Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low, add the egg and whites one at a time. Then, add in the strawberry extract and mix on medium for 30 seconds until combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt using a whisk.
- Assemble the cupcake batter: Alternate adding the dry ingredients in ⅓ batches at a time with ½ the buttermilk and strawberry mixture. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix for another 30 seconds to fully combine.
- Scoop and bake: Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin tin filling ¾ of the way full. Bake for 19 minutes or until the center is set.
- Cool and frost: Completely cool the cupcakes. Frost with strawberry buttercream frosting using a piping bag and a star tip to pipe the frosting. Crush some freeze-dried strawberries on top for garnish.
Decorating the cupcakes
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature before beginning the recipe. Room temperature ingredients mix together much easier and produce a more consistent cupcake batter. Learn how to soften butter quickly.
- When measuring the flour, be sure to spoon it into the measuring cup and level it off with the back of a knife. Do not scoop it directly from the container as this will add too much flour to the recipe.
- Be careful not to overmix the cupcake batter. Mix it just until the ingredients are combined. Over mixing can result in tough cupcakes.
- The cupcakes are done baking when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached.
- To get nice and tall cupcakes, be sure not to fill the cupcake liners more than ⅔ to ¾ of the way full.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: Cupcakes can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days. You can also store them in the fridge for up to one week.
Freezing: You can freeze these cupcakes for up to two months. Place them all in a freezer-safe zip-top bag. Cupcakes can also be frozen frosted. Place the frosted cupcakes in a freezer-safe container with a lid and freeze for up to two months. Let the cupcakes thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
This recipe makes 18 perfect cupcakes! You can easily double this recipe to make more or halve it to make 9.
Can I use frozen strawberries? I havent tried it but I think it should work!
Why are my cupcakes sinking? Cupcakes can sink for a few reasons. Either you opened the oven door too early, over mixed your cupcakes or the oven was too hot!
More Cupcakes Recipes to try
Moist and Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
- 173 Grams large strawberries (1 cup) About 11 small to medium strawberries
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 10 tbsp butter (130g)
- 1 ¼ cup sugar (250g)
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- ½ tsp strawberry extract (can sub vanilla)
- 2 cups all purpose flour (240g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- In a small or regular sized blender puree the strawberries and buttermilk together and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the 10 tbsp butter, and 1 ¼ cup sugar and cream together for 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides and with the mixer on low, add the egg and whites one at a time. Next add in the strawberry extract and mix on medium for 30 seconds.
- Combine the 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, ¼ cup baking soda, and ½ tsp kosher in a medium sized bowl.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients ⅓ rd at a time with ½ the buttermilk and strawberry mixture beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix for another 30 seconds to combine.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin tin filling ¾ of the way full. Bake for 19 minutes.