YES I SAID A DUMPSTER.
Let me explain.
Every day when I go to pick up my daughter from school, there is a dumpster on the side of the building that says “Panzarella”.
And everytime I see it, I think panzanella.
Oooh bread in salad. Oooh I need to make that.
Yes, I get a daily reminder to make a panzanella salad, and I finally made it happen- only 2 months after school started.
However, when I think of panzanella salad I think of tomatoes, basil, and gorgeously bright summer flavors. The kind of flavors that are in this Summer Steak Salad.
But hello friends, it’s not summer anymore, so I bring you this Fall Panzanella Salad.
Deliciously sweet and fork tender roasted acorn squash (that is marinated in honey and pomegranate vinegar btw), shredded sauteed Brussels sprouts, tangy pomegranate seeds, and of course lightly toasted cubes of bread.
All those delicious fall ingredients are drizzled with a super easy to make balsamic vinaigrette. Seriously, its easier to actually make the vinaigrette than it is to spell vinaigrette.
I’m so happy that I get a daily dumpster reminder to make this salad (proof that inspiration can come from anywhere) because I for sure could eat this everyday.
Fall Panzanella Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
This fall panzanella salad has roasted acorn squash, sauteed Brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, and lightly toasted bread, and would be the perfect salad to add to your Thanksgiving meal!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
For the salad:
- 2 medium sized acorn squash, seeded, and sliced into half rings
- ⅓ cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 baguette cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 10 oz bag shaved brussel sprouts, or 2 cups
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
For the balsamic vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425° F.
- In a small bowl combine the acorn squash, ⅓ cup olive oil, pomegranate vinegar, honey and salt. Mix well to make sure that all the slices are covered.
- Roast on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper for 15 minutes, then flip each slice and continue roasting for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and the cubed bread.
- Allow the bread to toast up while shaking the pan every minute or so until the cubes get toasty.
- Remove the bread from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and the minced garlic.
- Saute for 1-2 minutes or until the garlic becomes fragrant, and then add in the shaved brussels sprouts.
- Stir and saute until the brussels sprouts soften, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and cool.
- Make the salad dressing- In a small jar or bowl, combine the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk vigorously or shake really well.
- Assemble the salad- Lay the brussels sprouts on a platter, with the acorn squash and bread cubes on top. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and drizzle with the dressing.
Keywords: fall panzanella salad, panzanella salad, fall panzanella salad with balsamic vinaigrette, balsamic vinaigrette, bread salad, thanksgiving salad