These irresistible cherry muffins are full of flavor from Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves, rich dark chocolate and nutty browned butter. A combo made in dessert heaven, and perfect for your Easter brunch table!
These muffins – with sweet cherry preserves, dark chocolate, and browned butter, are my newest adventure into finding out what flavor combinations I have been missing out on in my life.
Remember my chocolate and orange revelation?
We have all had classics like strawberry and chocolate, lemon and blueberry, vanilla and almond- but let me introduce you to this winning combo of cherry, chocolate, and browned butter.
Hello cherry muffin, so nice to meet you. I see your tangy fruity chunks. Those dark chocolate pieces. I smell that nutty browned butter, and I want to get to know you better.
Let’s start at the beginning.
How to make them:
To make these muffins you first have to make the browned butter. It may seem intimidating but I’m telling you it is so easy and it brings a whole other layer of flavor to most anything you make with it.
All you do is melt butter on medium heat and swirl it around till it turns a brown color. It will bubble up but just watch it until it turns an amber color. Take it off the heat and hooray you did it!
Next combine all the dry ingredients into one bowl, and all the wet ingredients into another bowl. Mix the wet into the dry and mix only until it is just coming together. You don’t want to overmix a muffin batter because it will lead to a tough crumb and nobody wants that.
Then, mix in the chocolate chips, scoop your batter into your muffin liners and then (my favorite part) take heaping teaspoons of Bonne Maman cherry preserves and swirl it through each muffin cup.
What I love about making these muffins- aside from the insanely delicious flavor combo of sweet cherries and decadent dark chocolate- is that they use Bonne Maman preserves. We have been long time Bonne Maman fans- The homemade taste of their products made from quality ingredients of things you can *actually* understand makes you instantly fall in love with them.
Once you have your batter divided up and you have licked your fingers clean of the cherry mess you made (its ok I did it too, no regrets) you bake the muffins first on 425° F for 8 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350° and bake for another 12-15 minutes.
This kind of technique ensures that your muffins puff up when baking and create that dome on top, which you can then top with whipped cream, and you guessed it, more cherry preserves because why not?
They are so so tangy, sweet, and good. Plus they are pretty too!
This recipe also makes a bunch of muffins! About 16-18 depending on how you scoop the batter, they are the perfect thing to bring to a friends house or to make for your Easter brunch.
I know I definitely could not turn one of these guys down.
This post was sponsored by Bonne Maman, yet all opinions are my honest own!
Cherry Muffins with Dark Chocolate and Browned Butter
- ⅔ cup butter
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup or more Bonne Maman cherry preserves plus more for garnish
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Prepare a muffin tin with liners and preheat your oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Make the browned butter- In a small pan, melt the butter over medium heat. The butter will foam and bubble, just swirl the pan and watch it until it turns a deeper yellow color, then an amber color. Take it off the heat when it starts to smell nutty and is brown in color. Be careful to take it off as soon as it turns brown so it doesn’t burn. Cool for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In another bowl combine the yogurt, browned butter, eggs, and vanilla extract, mix and then pour into the dry ingredients.
- Mix only until evenly combined, you don’t want to over mix this batter. Pour in the chocolate chips and lightly mix again.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin liners filling them up about ¾ of the way full. Swirl in ½ teaspoon of Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves into each one. Bake for 8 mins then turn down the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for another 12-15 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool then top with whipped cream and more cherry preserves.