These homemade copycat Cosmic Brownies are super fudgy and rich! They are topped with a smooth chocolate frosting and the classic rainbow crunch sprinkles. They are just like the packaged brownies you love but even better because they are made fresh!
Tell me who doesnt LOVE a thick, chocolatey, decadent Cosmic Brownie!
The original Cosmic Brownies are made from Little Debbie’s but sometimes you don’t want to go to the store and buy them. Thats why we are making them here today! As a professional baker I love figuring out how to make classic, sometimes nostalgic recipes on my own. It’s a fun challenge and today I figured it out!
Cosmic brownies are a classic American dessert made from rich chocolate brownie batter and topped with dense chocolate brownie frosting. The cosmic part comes from the colorful sprinkles that top it off! They are tender, fudgy, and indulgent – they’ll satisfy any sweet tooth! Plus, they can be enjoyed as a snack or a dessert and have no preservatives in them!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- This classic dessert is fudgy and rich but has no preservatives like the store bought ones.
- Kids (and adults!) love these classic brownies- they’re sure to be a hit with anyone who tries them.
- You don’t need special tools or equipment to make these just some bowls, measuring cups, and spoons. No mixer needed!
- Butter – Adds a smooth and rich texture to the brownies and a buttery flavor that pairs well with the chocolate.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate – Melts down into the batter to give the brownies their classic chocolate flavor and dense texture.
- White Sugar – Along with the chocolate, sugar helps sweeten up the base of the brownie.
- Eggs – Helps bind the brownies together and also adds richness to the texture.
- Vanilla Extract – Enhances the flavor of the brownie mix.
- All-Purpose Flour – Gives structure to the batter and helps it hold its shape when baking.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Adds extra chocolate flavor to the brownies.
- Kosher Salt – Balances out all of the sweetness from the sugar, chocolate, and frosting.
- Brownie Frosting– Make this frosting to slather all over the brownies when cooled.
- Sprinkles– Top the brownies immediately with sprinkles!
Types of sprinkles
Cosmic brownies have special sprinkles called Rainbow Chip Sprinkles (Brownie Crunch) made by Wilton, which are really hard to find because they don’t sell them anymore on the Wilton site.
If you can’t find them, you can also use mini m&m’s or any kind of sprinkles. But to get close to exact copycat cosmic brownies you need the rainbow chip ones.
Hot tip– Immediately after frosting the brownies, top them with sprinkles because the frosting sets up fast!
HOW TO MAKE COSMIC BROWNIES FROM SCRATCH
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper or spray with baking spray. Set aside while assembling the brownie batter.
Melt the chocolate and butter: In a medium size microwavable safe bowl, melt the butter and semi-sweet chocolate together, in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted.
Assemble the brownie batter: To the melted chocolate and butter, add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix on low to medium speed with a hand mixer or whisk by hand until combined. Then, add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix until just combined without overworking.
Bake and cool: Pour the batter into the prepared pan spreading evenly. Bake for 28-30 mins until the edges of the pan start to break away. Cool completely.
Frost and enjoy: Once the brownies are cooled, top with a layer of chocolate brownie frosting and top with rainbow crunch sprinkles or colorful mini M&M’s. Enjoy!
The fun thing about these is that you can cut them large or small depending on how you like them or how many people you want to serve. Cut these into 12 for larger pieces or into 16 for smaller pieces.
How to cut brownies cleanly
- Refrigerate the brownies for 2 hours. Brownies cut more easily when they are cold.
- Dip a large chefs knife in warm water for 5 seconds.
- Wipe off the knife and cut the brownies in a straight line wiping off the knife after each cut.
- Start in the middle and then cut into 1/3rds, then rotate and repeat.
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- When melting the chocolate, be sure to only microwave in 30-second intervals and to stir in between each interval. This will help keep the chocolate from burning.
- Make sure not to overcook the cosmic brownies, or they will become dry. The brownies are fully cooked once the edges start to come away from the pan. For super fudgy brownies take them out at 25 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely before frosting, as the frosting will not set if the brownies are still warm.
- Sprinkle the brownies right after the frosting, if you wait too long the frosting will set and wont allow the sprinkles to stick.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing- Once cooled, you can store the brownies in an airtight container on your counter for 2-3 days or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Freezing- To freeze, make sure they are cooled and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. Place in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Let them thaw on the counter before enjoying them.
Why are cosmic brownies so good?
Cosmic brownies are so good because they are a delicious combination of rich, fudgy chocolate brownie with creamy chocolate frosting and colorful, crunchy sprinkles. They are decadent and full of texture!
Do cosmic brownies still exist?
Yes! Cosmic Brownies are still available for purchase at some supermarkets and online.
Can cosmic brownies be made vegan?
Yes, cosmic brownies can be made vegan by using vegan butter, dairy-free chocolate chips, dairy-free frosting, and egg replacer such as a flaxseed or chia seed mixture however this recipe has not been tested with vegan ingredients. Let me know in the comments if you try it!
Fudgy Homemade Cosmic Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate about a heaping 1 cup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 batch chocolate brownie frosting see instructions below
- Rainbow Chip Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper or spray with baking spray.
- In a medium size microwavable safe bowl, melt the 1/2 cup butter and 6 oz chocolate together, 30 seconds at a time until fully melted.
- Add in the 1 cup sugar, 3 eggs, and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix on low to medium speed with a hand mixer or whisk by hand.
- Add in the 2/3rd cup flour, 3 tbsp cocoa, and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 28-30 mins until the edges of the pan start to break away. Cool.
- For the frosting make this easy brownie frosting and top with rainbow crunch sprinkles or mini m&ms.