If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to take your brownies up a notch, then you must try this 5 Minute Decadent Brownie Frosting recipe. This rich chocolate frosting is smooth, velvety, and absolutely delicious! It takes just 5 minutes to make, and it will add a layer of wow to your brownies that everyone will love.
I love enjoying a good homemade brownie- especially a super fudgy one. But sometimes they need a little something extra to take them over the top.
That’s where this insanely delicious brownie frosting comes in. It’s the perfect finishing touch to any brownie recipe! Of course if you’re making brownies, you should make these one bowl brownies! This is the recipe I used for these pictures!
This brownie icing will give your brownies a beautiful glossy sheen and a delicious chocolate flavor that will take them to the next level. As a trained pastry chef– trust me when I say it’s the perfect addition to any brownie recipe!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- It’s made with just 4 simple ingredients you can find in your pantry or at any grocery store.
- This chocolate frosting for brownies takes just 5 minutes to whip up with the help of your microwave and a whisk.
- It truly takes a simple brownie recipe to the next level offering richness and decadence.
- It’s perfect for brownie lovers of all ages!
- Unsalted Butter – Makes up the creamy base of this recipe and gives the frosting its rich buttery flavor.
- Cocoa Powder – Gives the brownie icing its chocolate taste and natural brown coloring.
- Confectioners Sugar – This fine sugar blends in easily with the rest of the ingredients making it thick and smooth.
- Milk – Helps thin out the frosting to the perfect consistency while keeping it creamy.
HOW TO MAKE BROWNIE FROSTING in 5 minutes
- Prepare the butter: Add the butter to a microwavable safe bowl. Melt in 30-second intervals in the microwave until no solids remain.
- Mix the frosting: To the melted butter, add the cocoa powder and whisk until it’s incorporated into the butter. Then, add the powdered sugar and milk and whisk until a smooth frosting is formed.
- Frost: Use it to frost cooled brownies immediately. The frosting will harden on the top as it sets leaving a creamy texture underneath.
Cutting and Serving
Wait 5-10 minutes before cutting the brownies after frosting so that the icing hardens and you can make clean cuts.
The best way to cut brownies is to use a large sharp knife. Dip it in hot water, then wipe off the excess and slice the brownies. Clean the knife and repeat with the water. The residual warmth of the knife from the hot water will make nice clean cuts!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Use an offset spatula or the back of a spoon to smooth the frosting on brownies
- When melting the butter, make sure it’s not too hot. Use 30-second intervals in the microwave and whisk in between each interval.
- If your brownie frosting is too thick, add a little more milk until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If your brownie frosting is too thin, add a little more cocoa powder or confectioners sugar until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Be sure to use unsalted butter in this recipe so the brownie frosting doesn’t end up too salty.
- When frosting your brownies, make sure they are fully cooled before frosting. This will ensure that the frosting doesn’t melt off of the brownie from the heat.
Because this frosting hardens quickly, it needs to be used immediately. I do not recommend making this in advance.
You can store the brownies once frosted in an air tight container.
What do you put on top of brownies?
You can put frosting, icing, or even a simple glaze on top of brownies. This frosting is a great way to top any brownie recipe!
How long should you wait to frost brownies?
You should wait until the brownies are cooled completely before frosting them. If the brownies are warm, the frosting will melt right off!
What is brownie icing made of?
Brownie icing is usually made with cocoa powder, butter, sugar, and milk. This recipe uses those same ingredients to create a delicious chocolatey frosting!
WAYS TO ENJOY
- Use it to frost the top of a delicious Banana Bundt Cake.
- Frost the tops of these Fluffy Chocolate Chip Cupcakes for a unique twist on the frosting.
- Slather it onto this skillet cookie
5 Minute Decadent Brownie Frosting
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted, 56g
- ⅓ cup cocoa 35g
- 2 cups confectioners sugar 227g
- 3 tbsp milk
- In a large microwavable safe bowl melt the butter 30 seconds at a time until fully melted.
- Add in the ⅓ cup cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the 2 cups of confectioners sugar and 3 tbsp milk.
- Whisk until smooth and frost right away otherwise it will harden.
- Use it to frost these one bowl brownies!