These easy and decadent Birthday Brownies are your new favorite birthday dessert! They are super fudgy, and chocolatey and are topped with a homemade vanilla frosting and rainbow sprinkles to make your birthday celebration extra special!
When you think of birthday desserts, a cake is always the first thing that comes to mind, especially being a pastry school graduate, I love a pretty and decorated cake- especially one covered in rainbow sprinkles, SO FUN!
BUT- birthday brownies are also a fun, delicious and different birthday treat that can be ready in no time!
These brownies don’t skimp on flavor or presentation – the frosting and sprinkles make them look like a bakery-style birthday confection! The inside of the brownies can be ooey and gooey or you can bake them a couple minutes longer to make them more on the cakey side.
If someone showed up at my house with these for my birthday I definitely wouldnt turn them down. If you are a brownie lover like I am, definitely don’t miss out on these homemade cosmic brownies, these tangy cream cheese brownies, or these super rich triple chocolate brownies!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- These birthday brownies are fudgy, decadent, and delicious – a real party in your mouth!
- You don’t need a mixer to make this easy dessert.
- They’re ready to serve in less than an hour – no need to wait hours for a birthday cake!
- Butter -This ingredient is used in brownies to create a fudgy texture and buttery flavor and you use it melted.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – These chips add a rich chocolatey flavor when melted and mixed into the batter.
- Eggs – Adds structure to the brownies to help them set while also creating a dense texture.
- White Sugar – Sweetens up the base of the brownies along with the chocolate.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a sweet, fragrant flavor to the brownies.
- All Purpose Flour – Helps bind the other ingredients together and adds structure to the brownies.
- Cocoa Powder – Adds a deep chocolate flavor to the birthday brownies.
- Salt – Brings out the sweetness of the other ingredients and helps bring together all of the flavors.
- Sprinkles – These get folded right inside the brownie batter and on top of the frosting to keep things fun!
- Vanilla frosting– Top the brownies with this vanilla frosting and even more sprinkles! I like to use classic jimmy sprinkles. Don’t use the nonpareil sprinkles in the batter because the color will bleed.
HOW TO MAKE BIRTHDAY BROWNIES
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Set aside as you prepare the brownie batter.
Melt the chocolate and butter: Add the butter and chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30-second intervals stirring in between, until the chocolate is fully melted. This will take up to 90 seconds. Let the chocolate cool for a couple minutes.
Assemble the brownie batter: To the cooled chocolate mixture, whisk in the eggs and sugar until completely combined. Then, with a spatula, add the vanilla, flour, cocoa powder, then salt. Fold in 1/2 cup of sprinkles and mix until just combined.
Bake and cool: Pour the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-28 minutes then cool completely.
Make the frosting: While the brownies are cooling, make the vanilla frosting.
Frost and serve: Once the brownies are fully cooled, spread the frosting on top and top with colorful sprinkles. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- You can clamp down the sides of your 8×8 inch pan with clips to hold the parchment paper in place. Just make sure to take them off before baking! This helps the batter spread evenly without having the paper move around.
- Make sure to cool the birthday brownies completely before adding the frosting. If you add it while they’re still warm, it will make it difficult for them to fully set and be as thick and creamy as desired.
- Top the frosting with the sprinkles immediately after frosting the brownies, otherwise the frosting can harden and the sprinkles wont stick.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
To store– Once cooled and frosted, birthday brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days or kept in the fridge for up to a week.
To freeze- You can also freeze them in an airtight container or freezer safe bag, and they’ll last up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, let them defrost on the counter before and enjoy.
What makes a brownie cakey or fudgy?
The texture of brownies depends on the ratio of ingredients and how long you bake the brownies. Using melted chocolate and less flour makes them fudgy, while eggs and more flour will help create a cakey texture.
Also baking for 25 minutes will create fudgy brownies, whereas keeping them in for 28 minutes will give you more cake like brownies.
Can birthday brownies be made in advance?
Yes! You can make them a few days in advance and store them in the fridge for maximum freshness.
Do brownies need to be refrigerated?
No, birthday brownies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. If you want to extend the shelf life you can put them in the fridge.
WAYS TO ENJOY
- Intensify the chocolate flavor by topping them with rich chocolate brownie frosting.
- Instead of sprinkles, crumble some crispy funfetti cookies on top.
- Add a tangy and sweet twist and top with cream cheese buttercream.
Easy Decadent Birthday Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips about 1 heaping cup
- 3 eggs large
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ½ cup sprinkles Plus 1/4 cup more for garnish
- Vanilla frosting see instructions below
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Clamp down the sides of the pan with clips to hold the parchment paper in place.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and 6 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in 3 eggs and 1 cup sugar and whisk well until combined.
- Switch to a spatula and add in 1 teaspoon vanilla mix until combined.
- Next add in the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix until combined.
- Add in the ½ cup sprinkles and mix again.
- Pour the batter into an even layer in the lined baking pan and bake for 25 minutes for super fudgy brownies. 28 minutes for cakey brownies. Cool and make the frosting.
- Make the vanilla frosting to top the brownies.
- When the brownies are cool, slather the frosting all over and top with more rainbow sprinkles!