Fudgy Cosmic Brownie Cookies (No Chill)
If you are craving a bit of nostalgia, dive into these Cosmic Brownie Cookies, that are inspired by the beloved Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies. With just simple baking ingredients, these decadent cookies combine the richness of a the classic brownie into cookie form.
These cookies are a fun take on the popular store bought Cosmic Brownies that are made by a brand called Little Debbie. The original brownies are rich, dense, and fudgy, and have a layer of chocolate frosting and rainbow chips on top.
They are sold in grocery stores but you can make your own homemade cosmic brownies too! As a professional baker I love to figure out how to make classic desserts my own! What make’s these different is that you only need one bowl and you can make these cookies in less than 30 minutes.
Because these brownies are so delicious I decided to make them into cookie form. I took the recipe from my viral chocolate brownie cookies and just thickened the batter up a bit to make an even fudgier and slightly thicker cookie to resemble a brownie. An extra egg yolk in this recipe helps create a more fudgy texture.
Then I slathered it with melted chocolate and rainbow chips to look just like the original thing. These cookies are fudgy in the middle and taste just like a brownie but in a cookie! Besides for that, what I love about these is that they have no chill time! So easy for even beginner bakers.
If you want to make a thicker frosting for the cookies, try my 5 star rated brownie frosting, it will not dissapoint!
Crumbl cosmic brownie cookies
Yes, this recipe is inspired by and has similarities to the Crumbl cosmic brownie cookie. Offering that rich, fudgy texture combined with iconic rainbow chip sprinkles but is even better because now you can make them at home!
INGREDIENTS You Need
- Butter – Provides richness and moisture and helps in creating a tender texture while also aiding in the spread of the cookies during baking.
- Dark Chocolate – Contributes to the deep, rich chocolate flavor, making the cookies decadent and lusciously chocolaty.
- Eggs and Egg Yolk – Serve as the binding agents, ensuring the cookie ingredients meld together, while the extra yolk adds richness and a chewier texture to the final product.
- White Sugar – Not only sweetens the cookies but also aids in their browning and crispness at the edges.
- Vanilla Extract – *Offers a subtle warming aroma and depth of flavor, complementing the chocolate and rounding out the cookie’s overall taste.
- All Purpose Flour – Forms the structural backbone of the cookies, providing the necessary body and texture.
- Cocoa Powder – Amplifies the chocolaty notes, adding depth to the cookie’s flavor profile and intensifying its dark color.
- Kosher Salt – Enhances the flavors, balancing the sweetness and preventing the cookies from tasting flat.
- Dark Chocolate (For the topping) – Adds a glossy and smooth layer on top, providing an extra bite of rich, velvety chocolate goodness.
- Rainbow Chip Sprinkles – Introduces a pop of color and a slight crunch, making the cookies visually appealing and adding a touch of whimsy to each bite.
Where to find Rainbow chip sprinkles
Rainbow chip sprinkles are what the classic recipe uses but it’s kind of hard to find them in grocery stores. I think they have been discontinued because I have only found them in an assorted sprinkle container at Walmart. But if you plan in advance, you can buy these rainbow chips from amazon.
If you don’t have them you can always substitute with mini m&m’s or regular jimmy sprinkles.
HOW TO MAKE COSMIC BROWNIE COOKIES
Prep for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Melt the chocolate: In a large, microwavable, safe mixing bowl, add the butter and chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until fully melted, mixing in between. Cool for 5 minutes.
Whip the chocolate: Add the eggs, yolk, sugar, and vanilla to the chocolate in the mixing bowl. Using a handheld mixer, whip the mixture on high speed for 4 minutes until the mixture is frothy.
Whipping the mixture on high for this long helps to create a crackled top on the cookies.
Add dry ingredients: Next, add the flour, cocoa, and kosher salt. Using a spatula, mix the dry ingredients into the batter until a thick, uniform batter forms without overmixing.
Form and bake: Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the parchment paper, leaving 2 inches in between for the cookies to spread. Bake for 12 minutes. When the cookies come out of the oven, bang the sheet pan against the counter to flatten them. This will make them more fudgy. Repeat the process if you only have one cookie sheet.
Garnish and serve: When the cookies are cooling, melt the remaining chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Spoon the melted chocolate into the center of each cookie and immediately top with the rainbow chip sprinkles. Let the chocolate harden. Enjoy!
Banging the cookies
Every time I take cookies out of the oven I bang the tray on the counter. Like really give it a whack, don’t be afraid! This helps to flatten the cookies as they cool and makes them even fudgier.
- Use a cookie scoop to make uniform cookie sizes, which will bake the cookies evenly.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack; this helps them set and firm up the texture.
- When adding the melted chocolate topping, work quickly so that you can add the rainbow chip sprinkles while the chocolate is still soft and they stick.
- If you use a smaller cookie scoop, this recipe will make about 24 cookies bake for 10 minutes instead of 12.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: Before storing, ensure cookies have cooled completely to room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Place the cookies on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze for about an hour. After the initial freeze, wrap each cookie in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place the individually wrapped cookies in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 4 months. When you’re ready to enjoy the cookies, take them out of the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature for a couple of hours.
More Fudgy Dessert Recipes
No Chill Cosmic Brownie Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 6 oz dark chocolate, chopped small
- 1 egg, large
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For the topping:
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup Rainbow chip sprinkles, see note in blog post
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large microwavable safe mixing bowl add the ½ cup butter and 6 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until fully melted, mixing in between. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in the 1 egg, 2 yolks, 1 cup sugar, and 1 tsp of vanilla into the chocolate. Using a handheld mixer whip the mixture on high speed for 4 minutes until the mixture is frothy.
- Next add in the 1 cup flour, 2 tbsp cup cocoa, ½ tsp kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp baking soda.
- Using a spatula mix the dry ingredients into the batter until a thick uniform batter forms.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the parchment paper leaving 2 inches in between for the cookies to spread.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- When the cookies come out of the oven, bang the sheet pan against the counter to flatten them. This will make them more fudgy. Use a larger cookie cutter to scoot the cookies in a circular motion to make them perfectly round.
- Repeat the process if you only have one cookie sheet.
- When the cookies are cooling, melt the 4 oz chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into the center of each cookie and immediately top with the rainbow chip sprinkles.