Edible sugar cookie dough is a safe to eat cookie dough because it is eggless and uses heat treated flour. It is a super delicious, no bake recipe with a sweet and buttery taste. Sprinkles are added to make it a ton of fun!
Raise your hand if you have ever snuck a bite of cookie dough while making cookies, then crossed your fingers in hopes that you wouldn’t get sick. It’s just so irresistible right!
But now you don’t have to get scared because this recipe is meant for you to eat the cookie dough!! That’s right friends, today we are making edible sugar cookie dough, so feel free to dig that spoon in any time you want without fear!
You’ll need your basic cookie ingredients but without the eggs. Leaving out the eggs ensures that you have no chance of getting sick from this recipe. I mean unless you decide it’s too good and you have to eat the whole thing haha.
How to make this recipe
Step one: heat treat the flour!
Did you know you aren’t supposed to eat raw flour? Heat treating is the process of cooking the flour so that it kills all the bacteria inside of it.
This is a NECESSARY step and you absolutely cannot skip it if you want to get that 100% safety clearance. No worries though, it is super easy. All you have to do is spread out the flour on a rimmed baking sheet and heat it in the oven at 350°F for 5 minutes!
Step two: combine the rest of the ingredients
In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the softened butter, confectioners sugar, and granulated sugar and mix on low until pale and fluffy- about 1 minute.
Next add in the vanilla and milk or cream and mix lightly again. Then add in the heat treated flour and mix to combine! Toss in the sprinkles, shape into balls and you’re done!
Ways to serve
You can either scoop out the balls using an ice cream scoop or shape with your hands. Or you can serve it in a dip bowl with spoons!
Is this cookie dough edible?
YES! This no bake recipe is totally safe to eat because there are no eggs and the flour is heat treated!
Store the cookie dough in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months. No you cannot bake this dough into cookies because there are no eggs!
Other add ins
Feel freed to add in other things like:
- chocolate chips
- caramel pieces
Basically anything you would put into a cookie you can throw into this recipe too!
For more (baked) cookie recipes check these out!
- Funfetti cookies
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Edible Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups flour heat treat, see recipe notes
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup jimmie sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the 1 1/4 cup flour in an even layer and bake for 5 minutes then cool.
- In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the 1/2 cup butter with the 1/4 cup confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar until its light and fluffy about 1 minute.
- Add in the 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and the 1 tbsp milk and mix lightly. Add in the 1 1/4 heat treated flour, 1/8 tsp salt, and the sprinkles. Mix, scoop, and serve!