This edible sugar cookie dough is the best recipe for safe to eat cookie dough. It’s made using heat treated flour and doesn’t contain any eggs! It is a super delicious, no bake recipe with a sweet and buttery taste. Sprinkles are added to make it a ton of fun!
Raise your hand if you have ever snuck a bite of cookie dough while making cookies, then crossed your fingers in hopes that you wouldn’t get sick. It’s just so irresistible right!
The reason why regular cookie dough isn’t safe to eat is because raw flour can contain bacteria in it, as well as uncooked eggs. As a trained pastry chef, I am happy to tell you I have a recipe that is safe to eat and delicious!
This edible sugar cookie dough is buttery, sweet, full of sprinkles and 100% safe to eat as much as your heart desires. It’s safe because this recipe calls for heat treated flour and doesn’t contain any eggs.
Heat treating is the process of cooking the flour so that it kills all the bacteria inside of it. All you have to do is spread out the flour on a rimmed baking sheet and heat it in the oven at 350°F for 5 minutes!
Then you’ll mix the rest of ingredients together and your’e done! This is a really great recipe to make with kids too. Of course if you wanna go crazy and ACTUALLY make cookies I 100% recommend these funfetti cookies , strawberry cookies, or 20 minute small batch chocolate chip cookies.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This is an eggless recipe and is basically no bake.
- You can make it in less than 10 minutes!
- It’s a really fun recipe to make with kids.
- You can change up the sprinkles and add in anything you like!
- Flour– You will heat treat the flour. See below for instructions
- Butter– Learn how to soften butter quickly
- Confectioners Sugar– This helps create the smooth texture
- Granulated Sugar– For sweetness
- Vanilla Extract– For Flavor
- Milk– For texture
- Kosher salt– To bring out the flavor
- Sprinkles– Add fun and color! You can use any kind of sprinkles.
How to make Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
Step 1: Heat treat the flour. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper and spread the flour on top evenly. Bake the flour for 5 minutes on 350 degrees. Cool. It’s safe to eat now!
Step 2: Combine the rest of the ingredients. In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the softened butter, confectioners sugar, and granulated sugar and mix on low until pale and fluffy- about 1 minute. Next add in the vanilla and milk or cream and mix lightly again. Then add in the heat treated flour and the sprinkles, and mix to combine!
Step 3: Shape the dough into balls like you would a meatball and you’re done!
Storing and Freezing
Storing- Store the cookie dough in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing- Place the shaped cookie dough balls in a freezer safe bag and squeeze out all the air. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How to serve
You can either serve them on a plate like I did here or you can scoop the dough into individual jars and eat it with a spoon!
If you scoop the dough into 2-3″ balls it will make about 12. If you want to put it into jars it will feed less. Feel free to double the recipe.
- You can either scoop out the balls using an ice cream scoop or shape with your hands.
- If the dough is too crumbly you can add a bit more of the milk.
- If the dough is too sticky, put it in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Cool the flour for 5 minutes before adding to the rest of the ingredients
Is this cookie dough safe to eat? Yes! Because you heat treat the flour and don’t use any eggs it is safe to eat.
Can I bake this cookie dough? No, you cant bake this cookie dough because it doesnt have any eggs or leavening agents like baking powder or soda in it.
Can I double the recipe? Yep! No problems there!
Can I skip heat treating the flour? No! If you skip the heat treating part, it would not be safe to eat.
How do I heat treat the flour? All you have to do is evenly spread out flour on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes on 350 degrees F.
How can I make this a vegan edible cookie dough? Use an alternative butter like Earth Balance to make it vegan and dairy free.
You can skip the sprinkles and add in other kinds of candy or toppings!
- chocolate chips
- caramel pieces
For more (baked) cookie recipes check these out!
The Best Edible Sugar Cookie Dough
- 1 1/4 cups flour heat treated, see recipe notes
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup jimmie sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the 1 1/4 cup flour in an even layer and bake for 5 minutes then cool.
- In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the 1/2 cup butter with the 1/4 cup confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar until its light and fluffy about 1 minute.
- Add in the 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and the 1 tbsp milk and mix lightly. Add in the 1 1/4 heat treated flour, 1/8 tsp salt, and the sprinkles. Mix, scoop, and serve!