Gooey One Bowl Blondie Cookies
These blondie cookies are so easy to make in one bowl and are ready in less than and hour. They are super gooey on the inside and have crispy and shiny crackled tops. They also have a sweet vanilla taste and almost caramel like flavor, and are perfect to bring to potlucks or barbecues!
Blondies are one of my favorite desserts to make. Like my one bowl brownie recipe, these blondies come together in one single bowl and can be made in about 40 minutes. They are thick, buttery, and gooey, and are studded with rich semi sweet chocolate chips throughout. They taste just like a brownie but without the chocolate!
What’s the difference between blondies and brownies?
The difference between blondies and brownies is mainly that blondies do not have any melted chocolate or cocoa powder in them. Rather blondies have a more sweet vanilla taste. Otherwise they have very similar ingredients and bake the same way!
I am pretty sure that’s why they are also called blondies, because they are more blonde in color without the chocolate.
These blondies are gooey on the inside and have shiny crinkles tops just like a good brownie does. In pastry school, we were encouraged to come up with our own recipes and I am super proud of this one! Of course I also love these coffee blondies, these red velvet brownies, and these chocolate brownie cookies too.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- These are a gooey delicious dessert that can be made in about 40 minutes without a mixer.
- You only need to dirty one bowl to make these.
- You can add in any fun toppings that you want.
- They are thick, chewy, and delicious!
- Unsalted Butter- You’ll use melted butter which makes these blondies gooey
- White Sugar– Sugar is used for sweetness and texture
- Eggs– Eggs give structure to the blondies
- Vanilla Extract– Vanilla gives flavor
- All Purpose Flour– This is the base of the recipe
- Baking Powder– Baking powder helps the blondies rise in the oven.
- Kosher Salt- Kosher salt helps bring out the flavor. It is not the same as table salt, please use only kosher salt.
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips– I like the taste of semi sweet chocolate chips but you can use whatever you have on hand.
How to make blondie cookies
Step 1- In a microwavable safe bowl, melt the butter and let it cool for 2 minutes. Then add in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Stir with a whisk to combine.
Step 2 – Add in the flour, baking soda, and kosher salt, and mix to combine. Switch to a spatula so it is easier to mix.
Step 3– Add in the chocolate chips and stir until they are evenly spread throughout.
Step 4- Spray a 8×8 inch pan with baking spray or line with parchment paper, and pour the batter inside. Bake the blondies for 35 minutes. You’ll know the blondies are done when the edges are golden brown and the top is crinkled! You can press down lightly with your finger in the middle.
The best pan for baking blondies
The best pan to use for baking blondies is in a glass, ceramic, or light colored metal pan. Light colored bakeware distributes heat more evenly which means an even bake for your desserts. When you use a darker metal pan, it can bake the tops and sides first leaving the middle of your dessert under baked.
- To make these dairy free, substitute the butter for a dairy free alternative like Earth Balance and use dairy free chocolate chips.
- Make sure to use room temperature eggs. If you use cold eggs, the batter won’t combine as well as it should which leads to the blondies not baking the correct way because the batter will be cold.
- To make gooey blondies, bake them for only 35 minutes. If you like them on the cakey side bake them for 5-7 minutes more.
- You can use any kind of chocolate you want to add into this recipe.
Best way to serve
The best way to serve blondies is warm so that the chocolate chips are still a little bit melted. These blondies are still delicious at room temperature but I prefer them to be warm. Some like it with ice cream on top too!
Best way to cut blondies
To cut the blondies you will need a sharp chefs knife.
- Flip the blondies out of the pan and onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Warm the knife under running hot water and wipe it dry.
- Cut the blondies in half down the middle vertically which will give you two equal parts.
- Cut those 2 halves again in half (vertically) so you have 4 parts.
- Repeat the process by turning and following the same steps cutting them horizontally.
You should have 16 equal blondie cookies.
Storing and Freezing
Storing- Store these cookies in an airtight container for 3-5 days a room temperature.
Freezing– Allow the blondies to come to room temperature. Loosen the sides of the pan with a knife or offset spatula to release from the pan. Flip the blondies over onto plastic wrap and seal well. Put them in a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Can I make the blondies in a 9×13 pan? Yes! If you are using a 9×13″ pan, bake them for 25- 30 minutes. Remember that they will not be as thick as if you baked them in an 8×8 pan.
What’s the difference between a blondie and a cookie? Blondies and cookie arent really so different since they are both served individually. The only difference is that a blondie cookie is baked in a pan like a brownie and a regular cookie is baked by itself!
Are my blondies supposed to be gooey? Yes! Just like brownies are fudgy, these blondie are gooey on the inside.
Why do my blondies taste like cake? Your blondies taste like cake because they were over baked and no longer gooey on the inside. Make sure not to bake them for so long next time.
Can I make these ahead of time? You can for sure make these guys ahead- I would suggest only a day before if you don’t want to freeze them. A quick 45 seconds-1 minute in the microwave will warm them right up if you want to serve them warm the next day.
You can definitely use other things to mix into these blondies. Here are some ideas:
- white chocolate chips (see above pic!)
- a combination of all three
- toffee bits
- shredded coconut
- basically anything
If you love easy chocolatey desserts like I do, definitely check out this mud pie by my friends Des & Kadee, it’s SO much fun to make!
More Brownie and Bar Recipes
Gooey One Bowl Blondie Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, large, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 bag chocolate chips, 10-12 oz or other toppings!
- 8x8 inch pan
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray an 8x8 pan with baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large microwavable bowl melt the 1 cup butter, then cool for 2 minutes. Add the 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 eggs, and 1 tbsp vanilla, and whisk until frothy and combined well. About 1 minute.
- Add in the 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and pinch of salt and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until the batter is thick and smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.