These blondie cookies are one of the easiest cookie recipes you can make! They are mixed together in one bowl and baked in one pan! It doesn’t get easier than that. They can be made either super gooey or cakey depending on how you like them, and you can add any kind of topping you like!
Original Post Date November 2019, Updated August 2020
Need an easy dessert? Have people coming over in less than an hour and you have nothing prepared in the house? Skip the box mix and make these!
Honestly, these are my go to dessert when I need something delicious, fast, and for a crowd. These guys come together in a mixing bowl in literally 5 minutes and depending on the pan size you use, can be baked in 25.
These cookies are thick, chewy, and full of chocolate- no-one can resist!
How to make the cookies
Like I said, you only need ONE BOWL!
Make sure the bowl you are using is microwavable though.
To start, melt the butter in the bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes. Then add in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk together until combined.
Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until combined. Then add in the chocolate chips and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula. Spray a 9×13 or an 8×8 inch pan with baking spray or line with parchment paper, fill and bake!
Making these dairy free
If you want to make these dairy free- you can substitute the butter for Earth Balance or another butter substitute and use non dairy chocolate chips.
The size of the pan will determine how long you need to bake.
If you are using a 9×13″ pan, bake them for 25- 30 minutes. If you are using an 8×8″ pan, they will need longer, about 35- 45 mins.
I have an electric oven and bake these in a ceramic 8×8 pan always for 35 minutes. Your bake time might be longer depending on:
- Your type of oven- if you have a gas oven, you may need longer
- The type and color of your pan. If you have a dark metal pan the blondies will bake quicker than a glass or light metal pan.
- What consistency you like
If you like blondies more on the gooey side then they will need less time. If you like them more on the done and “cakey” side, bake them for longer.
You’ll know the blondies are done when the edges are golden brown and the top is crinkled! You can press down lightly with your finger in the middle.
If it’s firm, they are definitely done!
Using other add-ins:
You can definitely use other things to mix into these blondies. Here are some ideas:
- white chocolate chips (see above pic!)
- a combination of all three
- toffee bits
- shredded coconut
- basically anything
This recipe is so versatile, you can really bake anything you would in another cookie, brownie, or other blondie recipe in here.
Because honestly what is a blondie anyway? It’s the opposite of a brownie!
Making these ahead
You can for sure make these guys ahead- I would suggest only a day before if you don’t want to freeze them. A quick 45 seconds-1 minute in the microwave will warm them right up if you want to serve them warm the next day.
Tips on freezing
Let the blondies come to room temperature.
If you want to freeze them without the pan- turn it upside down so the blondies come out in one piece. Wrap the whole thing in tin foil and then plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. Don’t cut them before freezing!
To freeze these in the pan- follow the same method above but don’t turn them out!
Make sure to defrost the blondies on the counter before cutting them- and save yourself an extra piece, they are that good!
For more easy dessert bar recipes, check these out:
- 9x13 inch pan
- 8x8 inch pan
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 bag chocolate chips 10-12 oz or other toppings!
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray an 8x8 or 9x13 inch pan with baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large microwavable bowl melt the 1 cup butter, then cool for 2 minutes. Add the 1.5 cups sugar, 2 eggs, and 1 tbsp vanilla, and whisk until frothy and combined well.
- Add in the 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and pinch of salt and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon until the batter is thick. Add the bag (10-12oz) chocolate or other toppings and bake. If baking in an 8x8- bake for 35-45mins depending on how chewy you want the center. Bake less time for chewy and more time for cakey. If baking in a 9x13 bake for 25-30 minutes.