Got a fun party coming up and need a dessert for the occasion? Try these Moist and Fluffy Confetti Cupcakes! These sprinkle cupcakes are easy to make and will be the star of the show at your next celebration! They are easy to make and are topped with a fluffy buttercream and more sprinkles!
These festive confetti cupcakes are perfect for any birthday party or when you need something to celebrate. They’re easy to make, moist, and fluffy! And of course, they’re adorned with colorful classic rainbow jimmies to give them a variety of color.
They are called confetti cupcakes because when the sprinkles bake into the cupcakes they melt and resemble confetti when you take a bite!
You don’t need to be a trained pastry chef to make bakery-style cupcakes for a party. In fact these are so easy to make, they are perfect for a kids baking activity! Just follow these simple instructions for moist and flavorful cupcakes that will make anyone happy.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Nothing says party like confetti! These festive cupcakes will be a hit with kids and adults.
- The moist and fluffy texture of these cupcakes makes them irresistible.
- This recipe is easy to follow and doesn’t require any special baking skills.
- Cake Flour – This special type of flour is finely milled and gives the cupcakes a softer texture.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – Reacts with the ingredient while baking to create a fluffy texture.
- Salt – Activates the leavening agents and enhances the cupcake’s flavor.
- Unsalted Butter – Gives the batter a rich texture and buttery taste.
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens up the base of the cupcake.
- Egg & Egg White – Binds the ingredients together to help the cupcakes set properly.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a warming light vanilla flavor throughout the cupcake.
- Buttermilk – Gives the cupcake batter a rich texture with a tender crumb.
- Rainbow Jimmies – These give the cupcakes their confetti flavor which blend into the cupcake batter when baked.
- Batch of American Buttercream – Use this frosting to frost the cupcakes and then top with more sprinkles. You can also easily color this frosting with any color food dye for more fun.
The best sprinkles to use
You must use classic rainbow sprinkles like these. Other types of sprinkles like the non pareils, glitter, or those large spherical sprinkles wont work because they will either melt completely or bleed into the batter.
HOW TO MAKE CONFETTI CUPCAKES FROM SCRATCH
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until fully combined.
Combine the wet ingredients: In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream the butter for one minute until fluffy. Then scrape down the bowl and mix in the sugar for 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add the eggs, egg whites, and vanilla extract and mix again until combined.
Prepare the cupcake batter: To the wet mixture, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Follow with half of the buttermilk, repeat ending on dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Fold in the rainbow sprinkles lightly with a spatula.
Bake the cupcakes: Add the cupcake batter to the prepared cupcake pan with a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop, filling each 3/4 of the way. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the center is set.
Cool, frost, and enjoy: Let the cupcakes cool before frosting with American buttercream. Add more sprinkles to the top and enjoy!
How to bake perfect cupcakes
Make sure you follow these rules to come out with perfect cupcakes every time:
- Only fill the cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full. If you overfill them, the tops will brown and overflow but the inside of the cupcake wont be fully baked.
- Use a light colored muffin tin so ensure even heat distribution. Darker tins heat up faster and can over bake the cupcakes.
- Do not over mix the batter, this could lead to tough cupcakes.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, then cool for 10 minutes in the tin. Release the cupcakes and finish cooling on a wire rack.
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Use room temperature ingredients for best results. Room temperature butter incorporates better into the batter and helps produce a more consistent cake. This is how I soften butter quickly.
- Fold in the sprinkles very lightly so they don’t sink to the bottom of the cupcake while baking.
- Only fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. This will ensure that they don’t spill over the sides while baking.
- Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before frosting as the buttercream will melt if the cupcakes are still warm.
Decorating confetti cupcakes
I like to use a piping bag and a large star tip to pipe the frosting over the cupcake. Then top immediately with sprinkles so that they stick. If you wait too long (even 5 minutes) to garnish with more sprinkles, the buttercream will have hardened and the sprinkles wont stick!
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: Cooled and frosted cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
Freezing: Cupcakes can be frozen unfrosted for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before frosting and serving.
Can I make these into mini cupcakes?
You sure can! Line a mini muffin tin with liners and fill 1/2 way through. Bake for 12 minutes.
Is Funfetti just vanilla with sprinkles?
Yes, Funfetti is a vanilla cake with rainbow sprinkles mixed in. Funfetti was popularized by Pillsbury and is still enjoyed all over the world.
Do I need a stand mixer for this recipe?
WAYS TO ENJOY
We love enjoying these cupcakes with a hefty amount of Classic American Buttercream, but you can also change the flavor and use these other easy frosting recipes!
- Chocolate Buttercream
- Raspberry Buttercream
- Mascarpone Frosting
- White Chocolate Buttercream
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Buttercream
More fun cupcake recipes
Moist and Fluffy Confetti Cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cup cake or all purpose flour (207g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (113g) softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200g)
- 1 egg (50g)
- 2 egg white (70g)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk at room temperature (118mL)
- ¾ cup sprinkles classic rainbow jimmies
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium size bowl combine the 1 ¾ cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ¼ tsp baking soda, and ¼ tsp kosher salt. Whisk until combined.
- In the bowl of a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the ½ cup butter for 1 minute on medium speed. Scrape down the bowl and add 1 cup sugar. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the egg, 2 egg whites and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Mix for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Add in 1/3rd of the dry ingredients, then half of the buttermilk and alternate, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix only until combined. Do not overmix.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and add in the ¾ cup rainbow sprinkles. Mix lightly with spatula.
- Using a 3 tbsp cookie scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the cake is set.
- Frost with american buttercream and garnish with more sprinkles!