5 Minute Easy Funfetti Frosting
This funfetti frosting is made from adding colorful rainbow jimmy sprinkles to a vanilla based buttercream frosting. With only a few simple ingredients you can transform a white frosting into a fun and colorful icing that is perfect for birthday parties! The best part is that it takes only 5 minutes to make!
The best part of making this funfetti frosting is how easy it is to make. It takes only 5 minutes to whip it up! Then you can frost it on top of this layered confetti cake or even these confetti cupcakes.
Funfetti frosting is just rainbow sprinkles that are added to a classic white vanilla frosting. That’s it! It has no real special ingredients other than the sprinkles that differentiates it between a vanilla frosting. As a professional baker, making this frosting is always a hit because the sprinkles just add so much joy to a regular white cake.
A note on the sprinkles though- when making this recipe I only recommend using the jimmy type sprinkles. You can use any color you want- even matching it to party decor, just make sure they are jimmies sprinkles.
If you try to make this frosting with nonpareil sprinkles or glitter sprinkles the colors can bleed into the frosting, and create a gritty texture in the frosting and nobody wants that.
Other than that you just need simple pantry staple ingredients that I have listed below!
You’ll need unsalted room temperature butter, powdered sugar, a little milk or cream, vanilla and sprinkles, thats it. The butter and powdered sugar create the base of the frosting. Then the milk loosens it up and the vanilla gives it a deeper flavor.
Next all you have to do is add the sprinkles and you’re done!
HOW TO MAKE FUNFETTI FROSTING
Cream the butter and sugar: Add the softened butter and powdered sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed and increase the speed as it comes together for one minute.
Add wet ingredients: Turn the mixer back to low, then add the vanilla extract and cream. Mix for an additional minute until smooth and creamy.
Fold in the sprinkles: Once mixed, fold in the sprinkles by hand. Use immediately or store in the fridge for later use. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Ensure your butter is at room temperature, as this will help achieve a smoother consistency when creaming with the sugar. Learn the proper way to soften butter quickly and easily.
- When measuring confectioners sugar, sift it first to avoid any lumps in your frosting.
- Gradually add the cream or milk to adjust the frosting’s consistency; you might need a tad more or less than recommended.
- If you’re planning to pipe the frosting, as mentioned, use a larger nozzle to prevent the sprinkles from getting stuck.
- While this frosting sets well at room temperature, if you’re working in a hot environment, you may want to refrigerate it briefly to firm up.
- You can leave the sprinkles out of the frosting and add them on after the cake is covered for a different texture and visual appeal.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: To keep your funfetti frosting fresh, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. If you notice it’s a bit stiff after chilling, simply let it come to room temperature for a while or give it a quick whip before using, and it will regain its creamy, spreadable consistency.
Freezing: To freeze, transfer the frosting to an airtight container or a heavy-duty freezer bag, ensuring all air is squeezed out. Properly stored, it will maintain its quality for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to use it, allow the frosting to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then bring it to room temperature and re-whip for the best texture and consistency.
More Rainbow Sprinkle Desserts
- Funfetti Cookies
- Confetti Cupcakes
- Decadent Birthday Brownies
- Crispy and Chewy Giant Funfetti Cookies
5 Minute Easy Funfetti Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened (227g)
- 3 cups confectioners sugar, 360g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons half and half cream, or milk
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles, classic jimmy sprinkles
- Add the 1 cup butter and 3 cups powdered sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed working up to medium as the mixture combines. Mix on medium for 1 minute.
- Change the speed to low and add in the 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tsp cream. Mix on low-medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add in the ½ cup sprinkles and mix by hand until combined.