Mothers day is less than a week away and good news is I have a complete breakfast menu for you to spoil that lady in your life (AND YOU BETTER).
I think its safe to say that every mom wants breakfast in bed on Mothers Day; and also to not have to clean up those dishes, that mess, those kids. These strawberry waffles take just a couple of things to put together- pair them with some coffee and a Momosa, (you heard me) and you’ve got an easy, delicious, and hopefully mess free breakfast that will make Mom happy.
While testing these waffles I struggled on getting the consistency of crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside right- but Im happy to report that after testing 5 times (!!!) I got it.
The trick is to number one make sure your waffle iron is on the hottest setting. Then to help with the crisp factor, corn starch was added to the dry ingredients. Another thing I kept finding throughout my waffle research was that a lot of recipes had you separating the egg whites and whipping them in a mixer. Aint nobody got time for that, but I understand the reasoning. I really wanted to cut that step out because who wants to use a mixer for waffles?! So instead I separated the egg and whipped it a little by hand with a whisk just until frothy- maybe 15 seconds and it worked just fine.
Now lets talk about flavor. These are like strawberries waffles to the max. Theres strawberry in the dry ingredients and strawberry in the wet ingredients which equals strawberry waffle heaven! Pair it with some maple syrup, confectioners sugar, or you guessed it- strawberries on top and you’ve got a beautiful breakfast to present to mama.
Btw, your mom also wants alcohol. Im sure she does- so check out my perfect for Mother’s Day “Momosa” recipe!
Crispy Strawberry Waffles for One
- 1 cup freeze dried strawberries to be crushed
- ¾ cup of all purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg separated
- ½ cup strawberry flavored Kefir or other yogurt drink
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter melted then cooled
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron to the highest setting.
- Pour the freeze dried strawberries into a small ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin, or alternatively if you have a spice grinder, you can pulverize them in there.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the crushed strawberries, flour, corn starch, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Separate the egg and set the yolk aside, you’ll need it in a minute. Whisk the egg white in a small bowl for a couple seconds, no need to go crazy just whip till its a little frothy.
- Add in the yolk, strawberry kefir, milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the wet ingredients, then add them into the dry ingredients.
- Whisk only until the ingredients are combined, making sure not to overmix. The batter will be lumpy.
- When the waffle iron is ready, spray it with baking spray or Pam.
- Ladle the batter into the waffle iron, using a ¼ cup measuring cup- about 3 scoops per waffle, and cook until golden and crispy.
- Cool on a wire cooling rack, and eat immediately.
- the waffle iron is on the highest setting
- you whisk the egg white slightly till frothy- you can for sure skip this step and just add in the egg but it might alter the crisp factor.
Yummy, I’m gonna give thus a try, thanks Sam
yay! let me know how it goes!
I have noticed you don’t monetize your site, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn additional bucks every month because you’ve got hi quality
content. If you want to know how to make extra bucks, search for:
Ercannou’s essential adsense alternative
Great recipe! My waffles came out perfect and the amount it makes is nice when you don’t want alot of left overs
Yes!! I totally agree with you on that, I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipe, thanks so much for making them and your nice comments!