30 Minute Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
These homemade pistachio chocolate chip cookies are gooey from melted dark chocolate but have an extra crunchy texture from chopped pistachios that are baked into the batter. The best part about making them is that they don’t require any chill time and can be ready in 30 minutes or less. Let’s dive in to this quick and easy recipe!
Ooey gooey chocolate chip cookies are even better with roasted and salted pistachios baked right into the batter. You can chop up the pistachios to get more pistachio flavor into every bite, or you can just throw them right in for bigger crunch factor.
As a professionally trained baker I have made a lot of variations of a classic chocolate chip cookie. There’s dairy free chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar, even mini chocolate chip cookies! They are all chewy and chocolatey but today we’re adding a ton of texture and and little extra flavor into these pistachio chocolate chip cookies.
This is a go to recipe for me because all you really need is one bowl to mix everything in and they are ready in less than 30 minutes! Seriously I hate taking the time to chill cookies (I want a cookie now, not in 2 hours!) so I’m loving that these cookies have no chill time without sacrificing on flavor.
Which pistachios to use
Honestly use whatever pistachios you have on hand. I prefer to use roasted and salted because of the extra flavor you will get but if you don’t have those, then just use whatever you have. I’ve made these with un roasted and unsalted pistachios and they are still amazing
You can also decide whether or not to chop these or keep the nuts whole, again up to you. The chopped pieces will spread out in the batter more giving you extra pistachio flavor and the while ones will give you more of a bigger crunch.
Feel free to experiment with your favorite nuts like almonds or walnuts. Just make sure to chop them to a similar size as the pistachios for even distribution in the dough.
- Melted Butter – Melted butter opposed to room temp will make a more dense and chewy cookie.
- Brown and White Sugar – Both work together to sweeten the dough, with brown sugar adding a subtle caramel note and added moisture, while white sugar provides sweetness and helps create a tender texture.
- Egg Yolks – Add richness and tenderness to the cookies, contributing to their soft and chewy interior.
- Vanilla Extract – Enhances the overall flavor profile by introducing a warm and aromatic essence that complements the chocolate and pistachios.
- All-Purpose Flour – Serves as the primary structure of the cookies, binding the ingredients together and giving them their characteristic cookie texture.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder – Work as leavening agents, helping the cookies rise and achieve a balanced thickness.
- Kosher Salt – Enhances the flavor of the cookies, intensifying the sweetness of the chocolate and pistachios while adding a subtle saltiness for a perfect sweet-savory balance.
- Semi-Sweet Dark Chocolate Chips – Provides a deep, bittersweet chocolate flavor that contrasts beautifully with the sweetness of the dough. You can use other types of chocolate chips if you want to!
- Chopped Pistachios – Try other nuts or a combination!
Using only egg yolks
I really wanted to make these chewy so only yolks are called for in the recipe. I didn’t want the extra moisture from the egg whites, just the fat to keep them chewy!
HOW TO MAKE PISTACHIO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients: Add the butter to a medium microwave-safe bowl. Melt it in the microwave in 30-second intervals. Whisk in the brown sugar and white sugar until the mixture is smooth. Then, add the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Mix until well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients: To the wet mixture, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until combined without overworking.
- Add mix-ins: Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped pistachios until evenly distributed without overmixing.
- Scoop and bake: Use a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop (or 2 tablespoons of dough) for one cookie and place them on the prepared cookie sheet, leaving 1.5 inches in between each. Sprinkle the leftover chocolate on the top of each cookie. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown on the bottom.
- Scoot the cookies: To make them a perfectly round shape, immediately after baking, place a cookie cutter or bowl that is larger than the cookie and move your hand in a fast circular motion to round the cookies into perfect circles.
- Cool and serve: Cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Make them extra chewy
Right when the cookies come out of the oven take a larger cookie cutter or a glass that is wider than the cookie and put it over the cookies. Then move your hand in a circular motion, not back and forth- more like around and around. This is called “scooting” and will create a perfectly round cookie.
Because the cookie is still hot and not set, the middle will get a little wrinkly and be even gooier and chewier.
- For even baking, ensure that your cookie dough portions are of the same size. Using a cookie scoop helps maintain consistency.
- Reserve a handful of chocolate chips to press onto the tops of each cookie before baking. This adds extra chocolatey goodness and makes the cookies visually appealing.
- Leave enough space between cookies on the baking sheet, typically 1.5 inches, to allow for spreading during baking.
- Keep a close eye on your cookies in the oven, as baking times may vary. Remove them when the edges are golden brown, and the centers are slightly soft.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: To keep these cookies fresh, store them in an airtight container or zip top bag at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: After baking and cooling completely, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Then, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag, separating layers with parchment paper. They can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, thaw at room temperature or warm them in the oven for a few minutes for that fresh-baked taste.
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Cherry Pistachio Oatmeal Cookies
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Red Velvet Cake Mix Cookies
30 Minute Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup (113.5 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup (146.67 g) brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) white sugar
- 2 (2) egg yolks, whites discarded
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup (156.25 g) all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (0.25 tsp) baking powder
- ½ tsp (0.5 tsp) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (0.25 tsp) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (135 g) semi sweet dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (177.44 ml) shelled, chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl melt the 1/2 cup butter. Add the 2/3 cup brown sugar and 2 tbsp white sugar and mix till smooth.
- Add the 2 egg yolks and 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix again.
- Add in the 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp kosher salt and stir till dough forms.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 3/4 cup chopped pistachios. Leave out a handful of chocolate on the side and add the rest into the batter. Mix until evenly combined.
- Scoop out the dough using a 3 tbsp cookie scoop. Press the leftover chocolate pieces all over the tops of each cookie. Place on a cookie sheet leaving 1.5 inch space between each one and bake for 12-14 minutes or until the bottom of the cookie is golden brown.
- To make perfectly round cookies- immediately after baking place a cookie cutter or bowl that is larger than the cookie and move your hand in a fast circular motion to round the cookies into perfect circles.
- Cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.