Bite Sized Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
These Bite Sized Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies are studded with mini chocolate chips and have that buttery classic taste! They can be made easily in one bowl and require no chill time, making this recipe a breeze! This recipe makes 60 mini cookies.
One of my favorite things to do as a trained pastry chef is learning not only how to make things TASTE great but they need to LOOK great too! These mini chocolate chip cookies are just like their big counterparts but shrunk into the most adorable little treats!
They are loaded with mini chocolate chips, and have that classic buttery flavor a good chocolate chip cookie has. Best of all is how easy these mini chocolate chip cookies are to make. You can make it in one bowl, and bake them right after because there is no need to chill them. Also this recipe makes 60 cookie- the perfect dessert for a crowd!
These mini chocolate chip cookies are a version of my small batch chocolate chip cookies. They are crispy on the outside but gooey, warm, and chocolatey on the inside. You can also turn these into dairy free chocolate chip cookies, or chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- They are bite sized and so cute, kids will love them!
- These mini cookies require no chill time and are super easy to make
- You can make it in only one bowl.
- Make 60 cookies with this recipe!
- Unsalted Butter – Adds oil and moisture to the cookie dough and a rich buttery flavor.
- Sugar – A mix of packed brown sugar and granulated white sugar sweetens the base of the cookies and gives them a delicious chew.
- Egg – One whole egg plus one yolk adds moisture and helps the cookies set properly.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds light and fragrant vanilla flavor to the cookies.
- All Purpose Flour – Adds structure to the cookies and helps form the ingredients into cookie dough.
- Leavening Agents – You’ll need both baking powder and baking soda to ensure the cookies rise properly.
- Kosher Salt – Balances out the sweet flavor while helping to activate the leavening agents.
- Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – This dark chocolate adds the perfect level of sweetness throughout the cookies.
HOW TO MAKE MINI CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. You will need to reuse these both a few times to bake the cookies in batches.
Mix the wet ingredients: Add the butter to a microwave-safe bowl and melt. Then, add both sugars and mix until smooth. Mix the egg and egg yolk, then the vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients: To the wet ingredients, slowly add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until a soft cookie dough is formed. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the mini chocolate chips until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.
Roll and bake: Use a one-teaspoon measuring spoon to scoop out the dough. Roll each piece into a round meatball shape. Place on the prepared baking sheets adding six per row with 1.5 inches in between. There should only be 3-4 rows on each baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
Cool and repeat: Once the cookies are out of the oven, let them rest on the baking sheet to set for three minutes, then place them on a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- This recipe makes approximately 60 cookies. If you don’t need that many, you can cut the recipe ingredients in half. Or make the whole recipe then freeze half the batter.
- When scooping smaller cookies, the dough can stick more easily. To help with this, spray the teaspoon measuring spoon with baking spray, so it releases easier.
- For best results, roll the cookies into balls before placing them on the cookie sheet. This will help create a perfectly round shape.
- To make these cookies even more pretty, place chocolate chips on top of the rolled cookie dough before baking.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing- Once cooled completely, mini chocolate chip cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to five days.
Freezing- You can also freeze mini chocolate chip cookies for up to three months. To do so, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze. Then, transfer the frozen cookie dough balls into an airtight freezer bag until you are ready to bake them.
You can freeze the baked cookies too! Once baked, let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack. Then, place them in an airtight container and freeze them for up to three months. To reheat, simply place the frozen cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350° F for 5 minutes.
Does this recipe work well with gluten free flour?
Yes, this recipe can be adapted to work with gluten free flour. Simply substitute the all purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten free baking blend like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour or King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour.
Do I have to use mini chocolate chips?
No, you don’t have to use mini chocolate chips. You can substitute with regular size semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, if desired though there will be less in each cookie.
Can I add other mix ins to this recipe?
Yes! Feel free to stir in your favorite mix-ins such as dried fruit, nuts, and/or shredded coconut for an added flavor punch. Just be sure not to add too many mix-ins as that can change the texture of the cookies.
WAYS TO ENJOY
- Use the mini cookies to make an ice cream cookie sandwich!
- Drizzle the tops with Bourbon Caramel Sauce.
- Make them into chocolate chip thumbprint cookies and fill them with raspberry or apricot jam for a sweet treat.
- Add a thick layer of Cream Cheese Frosting on top.
Bite Sized Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup (113.5 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup (146.67 g) brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) white sugar
- 1 (1) egg
- 1 Yolk, White discarded
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup (218.75 g) all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (0.25 tsp) baking powder
- ½ tsp (0.5 tsp) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (0.25 tsp) kosher salt
- 1 ½ cup (270 g) semi sweet chocolate chips, mini
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. You will need to reuse these both a few times.
- In a medium sized microwave safe bowl melt the 1/2 cup butter. Add the 2/3 cup brown sugar and 2 tbsp white sugar and mix till smooth.
- Add the egg and egg yolk and 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix again.
- Add in the 1 ¾ cups flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp kosher salt and stir until a dough forms.
- Stir in the 1 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips. Mix until evenly combined.
- Scoop out the dough using a 1 tsp measuring spoon and roll like a meatball for the cookies to be rounded evenly.
- Line 6 cookies per row for 3-4 rows leaving 1 ½ inches in between.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Let them cool for 3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough to make 60 cookies.