This skillet cookie is SUCH a fun way to serve you favorite dessert! Made in a cast iron skillet, this dessert AKA Pizookie is a giant chocolate chip cookie and meant to be shared with a huge scoop of ice cream on top. Pass me a spoon and let’s dig in!
I don’t think I even need to give you a reason why you should make this recipe.
IT’S A WARM GIANT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BAKED IN A SKILLET HELLO.
That means there’s no rolling or scooping or chilling the dough before you get a bite.
Speaking of that bite- it’s crispy on top but then chewy and a little gooey on the inside. Just like you want the best chocolate chip cookie to be. Except this one is warm and served with ice cream and it makes you want to never stop eating it.
Ingredients and equipment needed
Equipment- first you’ll need a cast iron skillet. I don’t recommend using a skillet that isn’t cast iron because the cookie just won’t cook the same. I used an 8″ cast iron skillet here but you can make it in a 10″ or even in mini skillets!
Second, the great thing about this recipe is that you can make it in one bowl and you don’t need a mixer. I tested this recipe at least 4 times and never used a mixer for it.
Ingredients- You dont need anything out of the ordinary here. The same ingredients for cookies like butter, sugar, flour, etc. are what you’re gonna need.
How to make a skillet cookie
- Preheat the oven and spray a 8″ cast iron skillet with baking spray. You can make this recipe by hand or by using a hand mixer.
- In a large microwavable bowl, melt the butter in the microwave 30 seconds at a time.
- Add the sugars, egg, and vanilla and mix to combine. Next add in the flour, salt, baking soda and mix. Pour the chocolate chips in and mix until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and top with extra chocolate chips. Bake for 35 mins until the edges are golden brown and crispy. The middle will look done but it will be gooey inside! If you like a more well done cookie skillet, bake for 3-5 minutes longer.
- Top with ice cream of choice and DIG IN
Cast Iron Skillet
I also found THE CUTEST mini cast iron skillets that are 3″. To make a mini skillet cookie recipe, only fill 2/3 of the way full and bake for 22 minutes. You will need about 10 of them to use the whole recipe.
You can halve the recipe to make 4-5 of them!
How to serve
This is where the fun comes in! Serve it in the skillet straight from the oven. It is best eaten right away because there’s nothing like a warm deep dish chocolate chip cookie.
Usually the only serve-ware you need for a pizookie are spoons for sharing. Considering where we are these days, you might need to share it on some plates instead.
Dont’ forget the ice cream!!
How to store
If you have any leftovers LOL, just wrap the top of the skillet in tin foil or plastic wrap until you want to finish it. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Add in’s and toppings
- Nuts, M&M’s or even peanut butter cups added into the cookie batter make for a fun variation! Bake as usual.
- Pour chocolate or caramel sauce on top
- Use any type of ice cream, but the classic is vanilla!
More fun chocolate recipes!
- Chocolate Chunk Coffee Cookies
- Chocolate chip blondies
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something off one of those links, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
Skillet Cookie Recipe
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and spray an 8" cast iron skillet with baking spray.
- In a large microwavable bowl melt the 1/2 cup butter in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until fully melted. Add the 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/3rd cup granulated sugar to the bowl and either mix with a spatula or a hand mixer on low-medium speed until combined.
- Add the 1 large egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix lightly to combine. Add in the 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Mix until a smooth batter forms. Add in the 1 cup chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- Add the batter to the skillet and top with extra chocolate chips. Bake for 35 minutes. The cookie is done when the edges are golden brown. The inside will be slightly gooey. If you want a firmer cookie bake for another 5 minutes.
- Top with ice cream and serve right away!