Crispy on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside, this skillet chocolate chip cookie recipe is baked in an 8” cast iron pan and packed with plenty of chocolate chips. The recipe is easily adapted for a 10” skillet or super-cute mini skillet cookies too. Pass me a spoon and let’s dig in!
I don’t think I even need to give you a reason why you should make this recipe.
IT’S A WARM GIANT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BAKED IN A SKILLET HELLO.
That means there’s no rolling or scooping or chilling the dough before you get a bite. And yes, I know, as someone who has a pastry school degree, I shouldn’t mind those things but sometimes you just want something super easy!
Like my other cookie recipes from scratch like my favorite chewy coffee chocolate chip cookies, salted caramel chocolate chip cookies, or my small batch chocolate chip cookies this skillet cookie has the perfect bite to it.
It’s crispy on top but then chewy and a little gooey on the inside. Just like you want the best chocolate chip cookie to be.
Except this one is warm and served with ice cream and it makes you want to never stop eating it.
Cast Iron Skillet
A cast iron skillet is the best pan to use for a cookie skillet. This recipe was made in an 8″ cast iron skillet. You can totally use a 10″ one or mini skillets but you will have to adjust the baking time. See below (and the recipe card) for how to adapt the size.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can make it in one bowl and you don’t need a mixer. I tested this recipe at least 4 times and never used a mixer for it.
Ingredients- You don’t need anything out of the ordinary here. The same ingredients for cookies are what you are going to need. Things like:
- Butter – we’ll melt it!
- Sugar- both brown and white sugar.
- Flour- all purpose is perfect.
- Egg- just one!
- Vanilla Extract- for flavor.
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Chocolate chips- duh! You can use chunks here too, I like the ones from trader joes!
How to make a skillet cookie
- Preheat the oven and spray an 8″ or 3″ mini cast iron skillets with baking spray. You can make this recipe by hand or by using a hand mixer if you want.
- In a large microwavable bowl, melt the butter in the microwave 30 seconds at a time.
- Add the sugars, egg, and vanilla and mix to combine. Next add in the flour, salt, baking soda and mix. Pour the chocolate chips in and mix until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and top with extra chocolate chips. Bake for 35 mins until the edges are golden brown and crispy. The middle will look done but it will be gooey inside! If you like a more well done cookie skillet, bake for 3-5 minutes longer.
- Top with ice cream of choice and DIG IN!
How to make mini skillet cookies
To make a mini skillet cookie recipe, only fill 2/3 of the way full and bake for 22 minutes. You will need about 10 of them to use the whole recipe. You can halve the recipe to make 4-5 of them!
If you don’t have mini skillets, you can make this recipe in ramekins instead!
How to serve
This is where the fun comes in! Serve it in the skillet straight from the oven. It is best eaten right away because there’s nothing like a warm deep dish chocolate chip cookie.
Usually the only serve-ware you need for a skillet chocolate chip cookies are spoons for sharing. Considering where we are these days, you might need to share it on some plates instead.
Dont’ forget the ice cream!!
How to store
If you have any leftovers LOL, just wrap the top of the skillet in tin foil or plastic wrap until you want to finish it. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Make ahead and Freezing instructions
You can prepare the dough in the skillet and freeze for a couple days if you want to make it ahead. Let it thaw on the counter for 30-45 minutes and then bake as usual.
If you want to freeze it after its baked, make sure the skillet has cooled completely, then wrap well with tin foil or plastic and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to make a skillet cookie without a cast iron pan
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you could use a regular skillet that is oven proof- make sure to check first! Know that the recipe wont come out as crispy though.
You could also try making this in a dutch oven if you have one! Don’t use the lid if you are using a dutch oven.
Add in’s and toppings
- Nuts, M&M’s or even peanut butter cups added into the cookie batter make for a fun variation! Bake as usual.
- Pour chocolate or caramel sauce on top
- Use any type of ice cream, but the classic is vanilla!
More fun chocolate recipes!
- Chocolate Chunk Coffee Cookies
- Chocolate chip blondies
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something off one of those links, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
Easy Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie (8” or Minis!)
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and spray an 8" cast iron skillet with baking spray.
- In a large microwavable bowl melt the 1/2 cup butter in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until fully melted. Add the 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/3rd cup granulated sugar to the bowl and either mix with a spatula or a hand mixer on low-medium speed until combined.
- Add the 1 large egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix lightly to combine. Add in the 1 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Mix until a smooth batter forms. Add in the 1 cup chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- Add the batter to the skillet and top with extra chocolate chips. Bake for 35 minutes. The cookie is done when the edges are golden brown. The inside will be slightly gooey. If you want a firmer cookie bake for another 5 minutes.
- Top with ice cream and serve right away!