Are you ready for a delicious s’mores treat that doesn’t require any heating up over an open flame? These Easy and Fudgy S’mores Brownies are the answer to your camping cravings! With a crunchy graham cracker crust, fudgy dark chocolate center, and gooey marshmallow top, these s’mores brownies are sure to satisfy anyone who loves s’mores!
I cannot get enough of these S’mores brownies! When I was recipe testing them, I kept taking lots of extra bites and blamed it on quality control (LOL)- they are that good!
As a professional baker I have made a TON of brownie recipes, but these are coming in strong at the top of the list. The texture from the graham cracker crust along with the gooey, fudgy brownie center, and the toasted marshmallows on top is recipe perfection!
Because brownies are such an easy dessert I went on a brownie rampage recently and made a ton of new recipes. Like these gooey marshmallow brownies that have mini marshmallows inside (!!) a gooey center, and these super fun sprinkle filled birthday brownies! These black forest brownies are also great for summer!
Something I recommend everyone should have in their kitchen is a kitchen torch. Especially if you love s’mores. It makes toasting marshmallows SO much easier and it’s not scary to use at all! It’s mini and cute, and you need to get one.
If you arent familiar with s’mores I can tell you that they have been a popular camping treat for decades! They were created in the early 1900s, and are made up of graham crackers, chocolate bars, and marshmallows all sandwiched and melted together until gooey and delicious!
Marshmallows are also so much fun to add to desserts like this Mississippi Mud cake– make sure to get the minis- they are easier to work with!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- It’s s’mores without the campfire! Get all the s’more flavors you love in an easy-to-make brownie form that you can enjoy any time of year.
- The graham cracker crust adds a great crunch to every bite – perfect for those who like s’mores but prefer crunchier textures.
- Perfect for summer barbecues and camping trips, s’mores brownies are sure to be a hit with friends and family.
- Unsalted Butter – This not only adds moisture to the brownies but also gives a rich buttery flavor throughout. It also helps form the crust.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs -Makes up the crunchy graham cracker base. If you don’t have the crumbs, mash up about 9 graham crackers in a food processor or crush them in a zip top bag.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – Use high-quality semi-sweet chocolate chips for a deep and fudgy flavor.
- White Sugar – This sweetens up the base of the brownie batter.
- Eggs – When added to brownie batter, eggs help bind everything together and produce a dense, fudgy texture.
- Vanilla Extract – This helps to add flavor to the brownies and enhances all the other flavors.
- Flour – This gives the s’mores brownies structure. All-purpose flour works best in this recipe.
- Kosher Salt – A pinch of salt will help to balance out the sweetness and enhance all the flavors.
- Unsweetend Natural Cocoa Powder – Enhances the chocolate flavor while adding a rich brown hue to the brownies.
- Marshmallows – These get added on top to create gooey s’mores topping. Mini marshmallows are the best to use. If you only have the large ones, cut them in quarters.
HOW TO MAKE S’MORES BROWNIES
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 375° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Set aside. Only the crust gets bakes on 375, then well lower the oven to 350 to bake the brownies.
Assemble and bake the graham cracker crust: In a small bowl melt the butter, then add the graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Mix until the mixture resembles wet sand. It should stick together when pressed. Press the mixture into the pan so that it is packed down, around, and up the sides of the pan. I like to use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to press it in well. Bake the crust for 8 minutes, then lower the oven to 350°.
Melt the chocolate: To a microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate. Heat for 30-second at a time stirring in between, until the chocolate is fully melted.
Make the brownie batter: To the chocolate mixture, add the eggs and sugar and whisk until fully combined for two minutes, then add the vanilla extract. Fold in the cocoa powder, salt, and flour until just combined.
Bake the brownies: Pour the brownie batter on top of the graham cracker crust and bake for 35-38 minutes.
Toast the marshmallows: Remove the brownies from the oven and evenly distribute the marshmallows on top. Use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows until golden brown on top. (see notes below for using the oven).
Garnish and serve: While the marshmallows are still sticky, sprinkle with additional graham cracker crumbs and chocolate. Let cool down and enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- When pressing the crust into the pan, use a 1/3 cup measure to ensure an even, packed-down layer.
- Be sure not to over bake the s’mores brownies- they should look shiny when done. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out with a few moist crumbs.
- If you don’t have a kitchen torch, use the oven. Bake them for 2-3 minutes on 400° on the top rack so the marshmallows get golden brown.
- You can also use your broiler with the brownies on the bottom rack for 15 seconds but only if you arent using parchment paper. Otherwise it can catch fire. Don’t broil the marshmallows any longer because they can catch fire too! Please be very careful! This is why I recommend a kitchen torch, its a lot less scary!
- If you only have large marshmallows, cut them into quarters and place them on top. I have not tested this recipe using marshmallow fluff.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: Once the marshmallow layer is cooled, the brownies can be stored in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 5 days.
Freezing: To freeze s’mores brownies, once cooled, wrap them in plastic wrap, then store them in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I make gluten-free s’mores brownies?
Yes, these brownies can be made gluten free by substituting the all purpose flour for a gluten free 1:1 baking mix. You’ll also need to find gluten free graham crackers at your local health food store or online.
What does the name s’mores mean?
S’mores are a classic campfire treat, and the name s’more comes from the phrase “some more”. It’s commonly used as an expression of wanting seconds or even thirds.
What can I use in place of marshmallows?
If you don’t want to use traditional marshmallows, there are some great options you can use instead. You could try using mini chocolate chips, vegan marshmallows, or even Nutella as a substitute topping.
Easy and Fudgy S’mores Brownies
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips about 1 heaping cup
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows or 10 oz bag
- Preheat the oven to 375° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a small bowl melt the 3 tbsp butter. Add the 1 cup graham cracker crumbs and 1 tbsp sugar. Mix to combine until the mixture resembles wet sand. It should be able to stick together when pressed.
- Press the mixture into the pan so that it is packed down. I like to use the bottom of a ⅓ cup measuring cup to press the crumbs down, around, and up the sides of the pan.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes, then lower the oven to 350°.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and 6 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is totally melted.
- Add in 3 eggs and 1 cup sugar and whip using a whisk or the whisk attachment on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Switch to a spatula and add in 1 teaspoon vanilla mix until combined. Next add in the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking pan and bake for 35-38 minutes.
- Top the brownies with 2 cups of mini marshmallows and torch with a kitchen torch.
- If you dont have a torch you can broil the brownies ONLY if you didnt use parchment paper (it will catch fire) and ONLY for 15-30 seconds- the marshmallows can catch fire so you have to be SUPER careful! Broil them on the lowest rack in your oven. If you used parchment paper you can just bake the brownies for 3-5 more minutes on 400 but they won’t get as golden brown.
- Sprinkle with more graham cracker crumbs and pieces of hersheys chocolate and enjoy!