This post might have affiliate links, please check out my full disclosure policy.
These Easy and Rich Marshmallow Brownies are the perfect combination of rich, sweet chocolate flavor with fluffy marshmallows. Fudgy brownies are topped with a layer of marshmallows and then frosted with a decadent fudge icing. These will become a family favorite!
As a trained pastry chef, I’ve always found marshmallows fascinating! The texture is just so much fun to play with.
Marshmallows are made from sugar, water, flavoring, and gelatin. They are so popular because of their light and fluffy texture, plus they are fun to eat! You can use marshmallows as ingredients in recipes like marshmallow frosting, or even top hot chocolate cupcakes with them for a fun cupcake treat!
In this recipe for marshmallow brownies, mini marshmallows are poured on top of warm fudgy brownies and then toasted up to make them melt a little. Then the brownies are slathered with this brownie frosting that just takes it over the top!
You should also try out my other favorite brownie recipes, like these Red Velvet Brownies, homemade Cosmic brownies, or Dairy Free Brownies!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- These marshmallow brownies are irresistibly sweet and rich, with the perfect amount of marshmallowy goodness in every bite.
- This recipe uses simple baking ingredients that are easy to find.
- Not only are marshmallow brownies delicious, but they’re also fun to make! It’s a great way to get the kids involved in baking.
- Unsalted Butter – Moistens the brownie batter giving it a fudgy texture along with a buttery flavor.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – Adds a rich dark chocolate flavor to the marshmallow brownies when melted with butter.
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens the marshmallow brownies to perfection.
- Vanilla Extract – Enhances the flavor of brownies, making them even more delicious.
- Eggs – Binds all the ingredients together, creating a thick batter giving marshmallow brownies structure when baking.
- All-Purpose Flour – Helps create a soft and thick marshmallow brownie batter.
- Salt – Enhances all of the other flavors in the brownies that help bring out the sweetness of the chocolate.
- Cocoa Powder – Gives a deep, dark chocolate flavor and enhances the brown chocolate color.
- Mini Marshmallows – These fluffy treats are topped onto the baked brownies to create a delicious texture and flavor.
- Brownie Frosting– The frosting ingredients are listed below, it takes less than 5 minutes to make!
- Unsalted Butter – Creates the thick creamy base of the frosting.
- Cocoa Powder – Adds chocolate flavor and brown color.
- Confectioners Sugar – This finely milled sweetener adds thickness to the frosting as well as gives it a sweet flavor.
- Milk – Used to thin out the frosting as needed to make it the perfect consistency.
HOW TO MAKE MARSHMALLOW BROWNIES
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
Melt the butter and chocolate: Add the butter and chocolate chips to a microwave-safe small bowl and heat on high for 30-second increments, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted.
Mix the eggs and sugar: Add the sugar and eggs to a medium mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer or stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat together for four minutes or until the mixture is fully combined. Then, add the chocolate and butter mixture, gently folding in with a spatula. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Add the dry ingredients: To the wet ingredients, add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Mix the brownie batter together gently until it’s fully combined but not overworked.
Bake and add marshmallows: Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 26-28 minutes. Remove the brownies, then add the mini marshmallows on top. Bake for an additional 3 minutes in the oven to set, or use a kitchen torch to create a toasted marshmallow look.
Make the brownie frosting: In a large bowl, melt the butter 30 seconds at a time in the microwave until fully melted. Add in the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Add the milk and powdered sugar and mix.
Frost the brownies: As soon as the frosting is made, spread it on top of the brownies quickly as the frosting will harden. It’s ok to do this when the brownies are still a little warm. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- If you don’t have a kitchen torch, bake marshmallows in the oven for an extra 3 minutes, but make sure that the marshmallows don’t burn.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a teaspoon more milk at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- The brownie frosting hardens quickly, so make sure to frost right away. It’s ok to do it while the brownies are still warm.
- If you only have larger marshmallows, cut them in quarters. It’s hard to frost them with the brownie frosting because they will be too large. I have not made this recipe with marshmallow fluff.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storage: Once the brownies are cooled and the frosting has hardened. You can store them in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
Freezing: You can freeze these too! Wrap them with parchment paper or aluminum foil and place them in a freezer-safe bag. They can last up to 3 months in the freezer. Be sure to thaw overnight before serving.
Why is there no baking powder in this brownie recipe?
The marshmallow brownie recipe does not call for baking powder since there is enough carbon dioxide from whipping the eggs to help the batter rise during baking. This also helps keep the brownies dense, moist, and fudgy.
Can I mix marshmallows into the brownies?
For this recipe, I dont recommend to mix them right in. Instead, add the marshmallows to the top of the brownies right when they come out of the oven. Adding them inside the batter will melt them completely and make the marshmallow flavor less distinct.
Will marshmallows burn in the oven?
Yes, marshmallows are very delicate and can only withstand a few minutes in the oven. Be sure to check them closely and remove them from the oven as soon as they start to brown. You can also use a kitchen torch for marshmallows if you do not have an oven.
I do not recommend broiling your brownies unless you are seriously watching them the whole time. They only need 20-30 seconds of broil time and can easily catch fire if left for longer. The 3 minutes is only if your oven is on bake at 350!
Easy and Rich Marshmallow Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips about 1 heaping cup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows or 10 oz bag
- ¼ cup unsalted butter 56g
- ⅓ cup cocoa 35g
- 2 cups confectioners sugar 227g
- 3 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and 6 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is melted. About 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl add the 1 cup sugar and 3 large eggs and whip on high speed using an electric mixer for 3 minutes. You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Add the chocolate and butter mixture into the eggs. Use a spatula for this. Add the 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix.
- Next add in the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix gently until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 26-28 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and add 2 cups of mini marshmallows on top.
- Either return the brownies to the oven for 3 minutes (be careful not to burn the marshmallows!) or torch the marshmallows with a kitchen torch- my preferred way!
- Make the brownie frosting. In a large bowl melt the butter 30 seconds at a time in the microwave until fully melted.
- Add in the ⅓ cup cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the 2 cups of confectioners sugar and 3 tbsp milk.
- Immediately spread on top of the marshmallows and let set. The frosting will harden quickly so don’t wait to slather it on top!
Leave a comment & rate this recipe