These Quick and Easy Brownie Cupcakes are the perfect combination of rich and fudgy with a crispy crackled top that ties it all together! They are the epitome of indulgence and are perfect for any occasion, plus they are so easy to make and can be ready in 30 minutes!
A brownie cupcake is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that combines the best of both worlds: fudgy brownies and cupcakes. Essentially, it is a brownie batter baked in a cupcake tin, making individual, cupcake-sized portions!
As a professionally trained baker, combining two kinds of desserts is something I love to do! What sets brownie cupcakes apart from traditional cupcakes is their crispy crackled top, which adds a different texture to offset the fudgy and rich inside. Not only are they a pretty good looking dessert, but they are also fun to make!
Brownie cupcakes are also incredibly quick to make- 30 minutes or less! Plus they are way easier to serve them traditional brownies because they are already separated into portions.
You can leave these cupcakes bare or top these with any kind of frosting others than mentioned above. From classic vanilla frosting, fudgy chocolate buttercream, or even a chocolate cream cheese frosting— ohh! That would be so good!
To up the ante even more, add in different toppings like marshmallows, crushed Oreos, or even pretzels for another layer of texture and flavor.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- These are quick and easy to make! 30 minutes or less.
- They are fudgy and rich, with a crispy crackled top like classic fudgy brownies.
- Cupcake-sized portions are perfect for sharing!
- You can top them with different flavors of frosting or ganache to add a layer of decadence.
- Unsalted Butter – Adds a moist texture to the dessert that adds a buttery flavor along with adding to the fudgy nature of these brownies.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate – Adds a rich and decadent chocolate flavor to the brownie cupcakes.
- White Sugar – Provides sweetness to the dessert while also contributing to the crispy crackled top.
- Eggs – Helps to bind the ingredients together and provide structure to the cupcakes.
- Vanilla Extract – Enhances the chocolate flavor and adds a subtle sweetness to the cupcakes.
- All-Purpose Flour – Helps give the cupcakes structure and stability.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Provides a rich chocolate flavor and dark color to the cupcakes.
- Kosher Salt – Balances the sweetness of the cupcakes and enhances the chocolate flavor.
HOW TO MAKE FUDGY BROWNIE CUPCAKES
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners. Set aside.
Melt the butter and chocolate: Add the butter and chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth. Stir after each one to make sure the chocolate isnt burning.
Mix together wet ingredients: Add the sugar and eggs to the bowl with melted butter and chocolate. Whisk together until well combined by hand or using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
Add dry ingredients: Switch to a rubber spatula, then fold in the vanilla extract. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
Fill muffin tins: Divide the brownie batter evenly among the 12 prepared muffin liners using an ice cream scoop. The brownies should fill each liner about ¾ of the way full.
Bake and cool: Allow the brownie cupcakes to bake for 18-20 minutes. Let them cool in the muffin tin for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with chocolate buttercream, chocolate ganache frosting, or brownie frosting. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- The brownies have crinkled tops and may sink in the middle, but they are supposed to do that as this is the nature of how brownies bake.
- Make sure to use room-temperature ingredients, particularly the eggs, and butter, as this will ensure that they combine easily and smoothly with the other ingredients.
- Be careful not to overmix the batter, as this can result in tough and dense cupcakes. Mix until the ingredients are just combined, and no streaks of flour remain.
- When melting the chocolate, be sure to do it in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval to prevent it from scorching.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for at least 10-15 minutes before removing them from the tin, as they will be very fragile when they come out of the oven. This will also help them to set properly and maintain their shape.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storage: To store the brownie cupcakes, let them cool completely and then store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. If you want to keep them for longer, store them in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Freezing: To freeze the brownie cupcakes, let them cool completely, and then wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then, place the wrapped cupcakes in a freezer-safe container or resealable plastic bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, remove the cupcakes from the freezer and let them come to room temperature before unwrapping them. You can also reheat them in the microwave or oven if you prefer them warm.
Can I use a different type of chocolate for this recipe?
Yes, you can use other types of chocolate, such as bittersweet or milk chocolate, but keep in mind that it will affect the overall flavor and sweetness of the cupcakes.
Can I add nuts or other mix-ins to the brownie cupcakes?
Yes, you can add nuts, chocolate chips, or other mix-ins to the batter to customize the recipe to your liking.
What is the secret to fudgy brownies?
By not using a leavening agent such as baking powder and by using melted chocolate, and plenty of fat (butter), the brownies will be fudgy and dense. Another helpful tip is to take them out of the oven before they appear to be done – they will continue cooking as they cool.
Quick and Fudgy Brownie Cupcakes
- 1 cup butter unsalted
- 4 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1 cup butter and 4 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup sugar and 3 eggs and whip using a whisk or the whisk attachment on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Switch to a spatula and add in 1 tbsp vanilla and mix until combined. Next add in the 1 cup flour, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix until combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.