Get ready to indulge in the most decadent and incredibly smooth Chocolate Fudge Frosting. It only takes 3 minutes to make and will take your favorite cupcakes and cakes to a whole new level! This rich, velvety fudge icing is so simple to make and delivers a taste that rivals even the finest gourmet bakeries using simple ingredients you already have!
Chocolate fudge frosting is a decadent fudge icing for cakes and cupcakes that you can make in just three minutes!! It couldn’t be easier or quicker to make!
This decadent chocolate fudge frosting recipe is made with rich cocoa powder, melted butter, and powdered sugar. It is whipped together into a velvety texture that can be easily slathered or piped onto your favorite dessert.
Even though I am a professionally trained baker, I still like to make things that are quick and easy- all without sacrificing on flavor!
This frosting pipes really well and will hold its shape. If you want something thinner, you can always make my top rated, 5 star, brownie frosting recipe, or switch it up and try this rich chocolate ganache frosting!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- This easy icing is quick to make in only 3 minutes with 4 pantry staple ingredients.
- It’s thick and pipeable, and perfect to top homemade cupcake recipes.
- This frosting is decadent and rich but made with cocoa powder so no need to melt chocolate.
- Unsalted Butter – A key ingredient in frosting recipes that provides richness, creaminess, and flavor to the mixture as well as a spreadable texture.
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder – Gives the frosting its rich chocolate flavor and adds depth and complexity along with a chocolate brown color.
- Powdered Sugar – Adds sweetness and structure to the frosting, as well as a smooth and silky texture. It also helps balance the natural bitter flavor of natural chocolate.
- Heavy Cream – Adds richness and creaminess to the frosting while giving it a smooth and glossy finish. You can use heavy cream to thicken or thin out the frosting to your liking.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING IN 3 MINUTES
Melt the butter: In a microwavable safe medium bowl, melt the butter 30 seconds at a time until melted, stirring in between if needed.
Add cocoa powder: To the melted butter, add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth, making sure there are no lumps. The butter should completely melt the cocoa powder.
Add sugar and heavy cream: Transfer the chocolate mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer. Sift the powdered sugar and add to the bowl along with the heavy cream. Sifting the sugar ensures for a smooth frosting!
Whip until fluffy and smooth: Attach the whisk attachment and mix on low speed for 30 seconds until the mixture is combined. Raise the speed up to medium-high and whip for 30 seconds. Frost on top of your favorite cupcakes or cake recipe. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- For best results, use high-quality ingredients. This means using unsweetened natural cocoa powder, unsalted butter, and fresh heavy cream.
- In order to get a smooth and creamy consistency, it is important to melt the butter and cocoa powder together properly. Melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time and then stir until it’s completely melted. Make sure that the cocoa powder is completely combined with the butter without any lumps to prevent any clumps from forming in your frosting.
- Sifting the powdered sugar before adding it to the mixture will ensure that it’s free of lumps and clumps.
- Once all the ingredients are combined, it’s important to whip the frosting to the right consistency. Start by mixing the frosting on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for another 30 seconds. Be careful not to overmix the frosting, as it can become too runny or lose its smooth consistency.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: Make sure that the frosting has completely cooled down. Then, transfer the frosting to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When you’re ready to use the frosting, take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes to soften up. Whisk to restore its creamy texture if needed.
Freezing: This frosting can be frozen for up to 3 months. Once cooled, transfer it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag, making sure to remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. When you’re ready to use the frosting, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, give it a quick whisk to smooth it out.
How much chocolate frosting does this make for desserts?
This chocolate frosting recipe provides enough frosting to frost 12 cupcakes generously with piping or 24 with just a knife. Or enough to fill and frost a 2-layer 8” cake or a 9×13 sheet cake.
Can I add flavor or mix-ins to the frosting?
You can add vanilla extract (or other extracts) or a pinch of salt to balance the sweetness and enhance the chocolate flavor. You can also experiment with different types of cocoa powder or add-ins, like espresso powder or chopped nuts. Just be sure to adjust the amount of powdered sugar and cream as needed to maintain the right consistency.
What is the best kind of natural unsweetened cocoa powder to use?
Some popular brands of natural unsweetened cocoa powder include Hershey’s, Ghirardelli, Valrhona, and King Arthur Flour. Look for dutch processed cocoa that has no fillers or additives.
MORE CHOCOLATE FROSTING RECIPES
- Light Whipped Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Brownie Frosting
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
3 Minute Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder natural
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a microwavable safe medium bowl, melt the butter 30 seconds at a time until melted.
- Add the ⅔ cup cocoa and whisk until smooth making sure there are no lumps. The butter should completely melt the cocoa powder.
- Transfer the chocolate mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Sift 4 cups of powdered sugar and add to the bowl. Add the ½ cup heavy cream.
- Attach the whisk attachment and mix on low speed for 30 seconds until the mixture is combined.
- Raise the speed up to medium high and whip for 30 seconds.
- Frost on top of your favorite cupcakes or cake