These quick one-bowl brownies are perfect for when you need a chocolate fix fast. They’re chewy, delicious, and have a classic crinkly top. The recipe uses both melted chocolate and cocoa powder for a really intense chocolatey flavor. They make for an easy cleanup too because you only use one bowl! Quick homemade brownies with minimal clean-up, coming right up!
There is just something so comforting about these SUPER fudgy brownies. They have crinkled tops, are warm and gooey on the inside and have just the perfect amount of chew. They are 30 minute brownies that you can make in one bowl just like my red velvet brownies or any of my other delicious brownie recipes!
You can also jazz up this quick brownie recipe with ice cream, whipped cream, or this decadent brownie frosting. Or, eat them straight out of the pan. That’s my go to way to eat these, just like my brownies with cream cheese frosting or these strawberry brownies.
If you are looking for something dairy free, try these dairy free brownies!
Seriously, throw away the box mix of brownies because these are SO much better and so easy to make!
As a trained pastry chef– when I was developing this recipe, it was really important to keep it simple. No extra bowls and separating wet and dry ingredients. I wanted the best one bowl brownie recipe – I tested this recipe 6 times to get these brownies perfect!
- Unsalted butter– you will melt this with the chocolate
- Semi sweet chocolate chips– you can use milk or bittersweet but I think semi sweet gives the best flavor
- Granulated sugar- When you whip the sugar with the eggs, you get the shiny crackled tops.
- Eggs– These need to be at room temperature to mix well with the sugar.
- Vanilla Extract– This helps with flavor.
- All purpose flour– We only use a bit of this to keep the brownies fudgy.
- Cocoa Powder– For extra chocolate flavor.
- Kosher Salt– To bring out the flavor.
This recipe uses both melted chocolate and cocoa powder for a really intense chocolatey flavor. The rest of the ingredients are fairly standard baking pantry staples. It’s more important to pay attention here to how the ingredients are used.
HOW TO MAKE ONE BOWL BROWNIES
Use your preference of hand mixer, standup mixer, or mix by hand.
- Preheat your oven at 350 F and line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper OR spray with a nonstick spray.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave at 30 second increments until melted. Don’t go over 90 seconds! Then allow the chocolate to cool for 5 minutes before adding your eggs. (We don’t want chocolate scrambled eggs here!)
- Mix in the eggs and sugar with a whisk or a hand mixer and mix on high speed for 3 minutes. The whisk creates air bubbles which creates the crackled brownie tops. If you use a spatula for this you will have different results. Switch to a spatula to add in the vanilla.
- Now you can add the dry ingredients into the batter. Stir until combined and there are no longer any dry streaks.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes and allow to cool before diving in. The brownies will cut much easier if you allow them to cool all the way.
Best type of pan for baking brownies
The best types of pans for baking brownies are either glass or a light colored metal baking tray because they are even conductors of heat. What you dont want to do is bake them in a dark colored pan because it will get too hot and possibly burn the brownies.
Best Chocolate to use for brownies
I like to use a semi sweet dark chocolate for brownies because it gives off a super rich chocolate flavor. Bittersweet chocolate can be used too. A milk chocolate would make the recipe sweeter. The best kind of chocolate to use is from a bar that you chop up. In this recipe I used chocolate chips because it’s what I had on hand and they still came out delicious!
- To get the crinkled shiny tops- Make sure you are whipping the eggs and sugar well. The longer you whip the eggs in the chocolate, the lighter the brownie will be and give you that classic crackly top. This also helps to create a taller brownie because of all the air that is getting incorporated into the batter.
- Make sure the brownies bake evenly– Line the pan with parchment paper and hold it down with clips while pouring the batter in. Check the photo above! Make sure to remove the clips before placing it in the oven.
- Gluten free brownies-If you are looking for gluten free delicious brownies, try Erin’s gluten free brownies!
- Best way to cut brownies– Cut the brownie square vertically in half, then cut the halves in half again. Then do the same horizontally. You’ll have 16 perfect squared brownies.
You can frost these brownies with my brownie frosting or add these fun ingredients to the top of the brownies before baking:
CanI double this recipe? Yes! To Double the recipe bake them in a 9×13″ pan for 30- 35 minutes.
What makes brownies fudgy? It’s all about the dry ingredients and bake time! The less flour in a brownie recipe, the more fudgy they will be. This recipe only uses 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup cocoa to keep these on the fudgier side. Bake them for 25 minutes exactly for fudgy brownies and 28-30 mins for more cakey brownies.
How many brownies does this recipe make? Depends on how you cut the brownies, you can get between 12-16 brownies from this recipe.
WANT MORE Brownies and Bar RECIPES?
30 Minute Fudgy One-Bowl Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips about 1 heaping cup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour all purpose
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Clamp down the sides of the pan with clips to hold the parchment paper in place.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and 6 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in 3 eggs and 1 cup sugar and whip using a whisk or the whisk attachment on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Switch to a spatula and add in 1 teaspoon vanilla mix until combined. Next add in the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking pan and bake for 25 minutes for super fudgy brownies. Allow to cool before cutting in to them!