These Fudgy Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting are so decadent! The brownies are gooey and full of chocolate flavor, and the thick and creamy cream cheese frosting slathered on top takes these brownies to the next level! Your whole family is going to love these!
There are two brownie teams as far as I’m concerned. People who love the texture of cake-like brownies, and those who love the rich fudgy moist, and gooey brownies. I am definitely on team ooey-gooey!
For this recipe, I took my own bowl brownie recipe and covered it in a creamy and tangy cream cheese frosting. This gives the brownies a contrasting flavor and fun texture that you might not expect.
As a trained pastry chef I love to play around with contrasting flavors and textures. I’ve been experimenting with brownie recipes lately and really love these strawberry brownies, and also these red velvet brownies! If you really want to take those over the top, frost them with my 5 minute decadent brownie frosting – you will not be sorry!
If you love the combo of chocolate and cream cheese you will also love this easy chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting!
WHY YOU Will love this recipe
- The base of the brownie batter is made with simple ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
- The homemade cream cheese frosting takes just minutes to whip up.
- These brownies are great to bring to a party but also great as a decadent home dessert!
- The flavor of chocolate and sweetened cream cheese frosting is a heavenly combination.
- The brownies have a moist and gooey texture that is out-of-this-world delicious!
For the brownies:
- Butter – Makes up the oil content of the brownies lending to their moist and gooey texture. It also gives them a buttery flavor.
- Chocolate Chips – Adds a sweetened chocolate flavor to the brownies and helps with the texture.
- Granulated Sugar – Helps sweeten up the base of the brownie batter.
- Eggs – Binds all of the ingredients together and helps them set as they bake.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a warming touch of floral vanilla flavor.
- Flour – The main dry ingredient, flour gives structure to the brownies as it mixes in with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cocoa Powder – Gives these brownies a natural chocolate flavor and brown color.
- Salt – Balances the sweet flavor in the base of the brownies.
For the cream cheese frosting:
- Cream Cheese – Take this out 2 hours before making so that it is soft!
- Unsalted Butter – This needs to be softened, learn how to soften butter quickly.
- Confectioners Sugar – This finely milled sugar mixes in with the frosting ingredients and sweetens it up perfectly.
- Milk – Used to thin out the frosting to the perfect consistency.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a hint of warm flavor to the mixture.
HOW TO MAKE BROWNIES WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips: In a microwave-safe bowl combine the butter and chocolate chips. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes. You can also melt the chocolate on the stovetop using a double boiler.
- Combine the wet ingredients: In a large bowl with a hand mixer, or a stand mixer bowl, add the eggs and whip on high speed for about 2 minutes. Then, add the sugar and whip again until fully combined. Add in the vanilla and fold in with a spatula.
- Add the wet ingredients: To the wet mixture, add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix with a spatula until fully combined and no dry streaks of flour remain.
- Bake and cool: Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan, then bake for 25 minutes for a fudgy texture. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- Assemble the cream cheese frosting: While the brownies are cooling, add the cream cheese, and butter to the stand mixer and mix until fully combined on medium speed for 1 minute with the paddle attachment. Pour in the sugar, mix, and scrape down the sides. Add the milk, and vanilla, then mix again until the frosting is smooth in texture.
- Frost and serve: Once the brownies are completely cool, add a layer of frosting to the top. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
How to easily get brownies out of a pan
To get brownies easily out of a pan you will have to either spray the pan heavily with baking spray that has flour in it, or you can line it with parchment paper before baking.
To line it with parchment paper, cut two strips of parchment and line them across from each other in the pan leaving at least a 2 inch overhang. Use clips to hold down the parchment paper while you pour the batter in. Take the clips off before putting it in the oven.
When the brownies are cool, simply lift the parchment paper to release the brownies, tada!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- In order to get that crackly top, you’ll need to make sure the eggs are whipped well before adding the sugar.
- Use full-fat cream cheese when making the frosting as a lighter or reduced-fat frosting will make the frosting less rich and creamy.
- Make sure the brownies are cooled completely before adding the frosting. If they’re warm, the frosting will melt and slide right off.
- These brownies take 25 minutes to bake and may seem underdone when out of the oven. They will set as they cool to a delicious fudgy gooey texture.
- Make sure to measure your flour correctly. The best way to do it is with a kitchen scale. Otherwise spoon flour into your measuring cup and level it off. Never scoop flour with your measuring cup.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storage: To store any leftovers, brownies can be kept at room temperature for up to a week in an airtight container. If brownies are not covered, they will dry out quickly.
Freezing: Brownies with cream cheese frosting freeze well too! I like to cut brownies into individual squares and wrap each one tightly in plastic wrap before storing them in a freezer-safe bag. They’ll keep in the freezer for up to three months. When you’re ready to enjoy, let brownies thaw on the countertop or heat them up in the microwave for a few seconds before enjoying.
What makes a brownie more fudgy? The less flour you use in a brownie recipe the fudgier your brownie is going to be. Also make sure not to over bake your brownies. If you want them on the fudgy side, take them out at 25 minutes.
Can I double the recipe? Yes you can double the recipe and make it in a 9×13 pan. Add 10 minutes to the baking time.
What else can I top my brownies with? Throw some chocolate chips, nuts, m&ms, or even chopped up pretzels on top of the cream cheese frosting for an extra crunch!
MORE FROSTING IDEAS
Cream cheese frosting is a perfect pairing for these delicious brownies. You can also change it up and use any frosting you enjoy!
- Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- Espresso Buttercream Frosting
- Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
- Coconut Buttercream
- Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting
Fudgy Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter 113g
- 6 oz chocolate chips about 1 heaping cup
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200g
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour 62g
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder 25g
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (half a bar) softened 113g
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened 56g
- 2 cups confectioners sugar 227g
- ½ tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and 6 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in 3 eggs and whip using a hand mixer on high speed for 2 minutes. Add the 1 cup sugar and whisk again.
- Switch to a spatula and add in 1 teaspoon vanilla mix until combined. Next add in the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking pan and bake for 25 minutes for super fudgy brownies. Cool.
- Meanwhile make the cream cheese frosting. In the bowl of a stand or hand mixer combine the 4 oz cream cheese and ¼ cup butter together with the paddle attachment for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Add in the 2 cups confectioners sugar, and mix on low speed moving up to medium for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the ½ tbsp milk and ¼ tsp vanilla and whip again until smooth.
- Top the brownies with the frosting.