Move over, classic brownies! These Easy Fudgy Cream Cheese Brownies are about to become your new favorite dessert. With a soft and creamy cheesecake swirl, these brownies are decadent and delicious and will surely satisfy any chocolate craving!
I’ve made many brownie recipes over the years. As a pastry chef, its part of the job! The best brownies to me are the ones that have something extra special, like a cream cheese swirl!
These marble brownies take a classic fudgy brownie recipe and add in a tangy cream cheese swirl. This makes for an amazing marble effect and a brownie cheesecake taste that’s out of this world! You can also try these Oreo Cheesecake brownies for an extra fun twist.
These fudgy cream cheese brownies are easy to make and require just a few simple ingredients. If you love fun takes on classic brownies try these brownies with cream cheese frosting, Strawberry Brownies, and decadent homemade cosmic brownies!
Need a good brownie frosting? This 5 minute top rated brownie frosting is for you!
Before you try this recipe you should know you need to use softened cream cheese. Either take the cream cheese out 1 hour before you make this recipe or learn how to soften cream cheese quickly!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- The cream cheese swirl adds a tangy cheesecake taste that perfectly complements the chocolate.
- The marbled look gives them a unique and beautiful presentation that looks like they came right out of a bakery.
- Enjoy them for dessert or an indulgent snack!
- Butter – Used to create a rich, fudgy texture and a buttery flavor that compliments the chocolate.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – This chocolate has a slightly bitter taste along with the sweetness that pairs well with the tangy flavor of cream cheese.
- Granulated Sugar – Helps sweeten up the brownie batter.
- Eggs and Egg Whites – Helps bind all of the ingredients together, so they set properly when baked.
- Vanilla Extract – Gives the brownies a classic flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour – Helps thicken the batter and gives them structure when baking.
- Cream Cheese – Softens the chocolate base and adds that cheesecake taste to these marble brownies.
- Salt – Enhances the sweetness of all ingredients in this recipe.
- Cocoa Powder – Provides a more intense chocolate flavor that mixes well into the batter.
HOW TO MAKE Cream Cheese Brownies
These brownies are made in two steps, the brownie batter and the cream cheese mixture. You will divide some of the ingredients in this recipe to ensure even quality and flavor.
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray.
Melt the chocolate: Mix butter and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted.
Whip the eggs and sugar: To a stand mixer or bowl with an electric mixer, add in eggs, and whip using a whisk or the whisk attachment on high speed for 2 minutes. Add in only 1 cup of sugar and whip again for 1 minute.
Add dry ingredients: Switch to a spatula and add in only 1 teaspoon of the vanilla mix until combined. Next, add the dry ingredients, and mix well.
Make cheesecake mixture: In a separate medium-sized bowl, add the cream cheese and remaining sugar and whip on medium speed with a hand mixer for 1 minute until smooth.
Add in the egg white and ½ tsp vanilla extract and mix with a rubber spatula until combined.
Swirl the cream cheese: Pour the chocolate brownie batter into the prepared 8×8 pan and pour the cream cheese mixture on top. Smooth it out with a spoon and then swirl the two batters with a knife.
Bake then chill: Bake for 35-38 minutes until the edges of the cheesecake brownies are set, and the middle is just slightly jiggly. Cool completely before cutting and serving.
Alternative method: Leave ¼ cup of the brownie batter and pour the rest into the pan. Pour the cream cheese mixture over it and smooth it out with a spoon. Dollop the rest of the brownie batter on top of the cheesecake mixture and then swirl with a knife.
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- The cream cheese and sugar need to be whipped together first. You cannot add all the cheesecake ingredients to a bowl and mix, it will be too runny. I tried at first to combine it all and it was an epic fail!
- When microwaving chocolate, be sure to stir the chips in between intervals so that the chocolate melts evenly. Do not overcook as it can burn.
- Be gentle when swirling together the two batters. If you overmix, the marble effect won’t be as prominent.
- Allow the cheesecake marble brownies to chill in the fridge before cutting them into squares. This will help ensure they hold their form when cut.
- The brownies are done when the edges are set, and the middle is just slightly jiggly. If they overcook, they will become dry and crumbly.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing- Once cooled, store marble cheesecake brownies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Frozen- The marble cheesecake brownies can be frozen too! Cool the brownies completely before wrapping them tightly with foil and freezing. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What can I substitute cream cheese with?
I havent tested it but you can try to substitute the cream cheese with ricotta cheese or Greek yogurt for a lighter and healthier option.
Are marble cheesecake brownies gluten-free?
No, marble cheesecake brownies are not gluten-free because all-purpose flour is used in this recipe. To make these marble brownies gluten-free you could use a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour.
What makes a brownie fudgy vs cakey?
The amount of fat and sugar used in a recipe makes the difference between a fudgy or cakey brownie. Brownies with more butter, oil, and sugar will be more fudgy than those with less. In this marble cheesecake brownie recipe, we use both butter and oil for a perfectly fudgy texture.
WAYS TO ENJOY
- Add nuts: Sprinkle your favorite nuts, like chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans, on top of the cream cheese marble brownies before baking for a crunchy texture.
- Serve with ice cream: Serve these marble cheesecake brownies warm and topped with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. The coldness from the ice cream will contrast nicely with the warm and fudgy brownies.
- Crumble on top of yogurt: Sprinkle crumbled marble cheesecake brownies over a bowl of Greek yogurt for an indulgent breakfast or snack.
Easy and Fudgy Cream Cheese Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips about 1 heaping cup
- 3 large eggs + 1 egg white separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar + 1/4 cup separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract + ½ tsp separated
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Clamp down the sides of the pan with clips to hold the parchment paper in place.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and 6 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes.
- Add in 3 eggs and whip using a whisk or the whisk attachment on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add in only 1 cup sugar and whip again for 1 minute.
- Switch to a spatula and add in only 1 teaspoon vanilla mix until combined. Next add in the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl add the cream cheese and remaining ¼ cup sugar and whip on medium speed with a hand mixer for 1 minute until smooth.
- Add in the egg white and ½ tsp vanilla extract and mix with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Pour the chocolate brownie batter into the prepared 8×8 pan and pour the cream cheese mixture on top. Smooth it out with a spoon and then swirl the two batters with a knife.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes until the edges of the cheesecake brownies are set and the middle is just a tiny bit jiggly.
- Cool completely before cutting and serving.