This Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting has a warm cinnamon flavor that pairs perfectly with tangy cream cheese to create a fluffy and easy to pipe frosting. It comes together in just 5 minutes with simple ingredients and is perfect to top cupcakes, cakes, or any cinnamon dessert!
If you’re a fan of cream cheese frosting (who isn’t!) and love a hint of spice, you’re going to absolutely love this fluffy cinnamon cream cheese frosting recipe! This delectable frosting is a combination of tangy cream cheese, warm cinnamon, and a fluffy powdered sugar that creates a frosting like no other!
The cream cheese lends a tangy and creamy texture, while the powdered sugar provides just the right amount of sweetness. The cinnamon adds a warm and cozy flavor, and the vanilla extract gives it a boost of flavor. The cream helps to bring it all together and make it super light and fluffy.
As a professional baker, I want you to know that the key to making this recipe is to use room temperature cream cheese and butter. If your cream cheese or butter is cold and you can’t wait to allow it to soften on its own, learn how to soften cream cheese or how to soften butter quickly.
If you’re out of butter, dont worry! You can still make cream cheese frosting without butter, and just add cinnamon to it! It wont pipe as well but you can still slather it over cake.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- It’s perfect for fall desserts.
- This recipe takes 5 minutes to make.
- It’s super easy for beginner bakers.
- Softened Cream Cheese – Makes up the base of this frosting recipe, lending a tangy and creamy texture to the frosting.
- Softened Butter – Helps to add richness and depth of flavor to the frosting while also helping to create a smooth and creamy texture.
- Powdered Sugar – Adds sweetness while also helping to create a light and fluffy texture.
- Ground Cinnamon – Gives this frosting its warm and cozy flavor, perfect for pairing with any baked good.
- Vanilla Extract – Provides a subtle but delicate warm aroma to the frosting, enhancing the overall flavor and sweetness.
- Cream – Helps to bring all the ingredients together and create a light and fluffy texture that’s perfect for decorating cakes and cupcakes.
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Mix butter and cream cheese: Add the softened cream cheese and butter into the bowl of a stand mixer or a bowl with an electric hand mixer. Mix on low-medium speed for one minute or until they are fully combined.
Add sugar and cinnamon: Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the powdered sugar and cinnamon. Continue to mix at low speed and increase as the sugar mixes in completely.
Add cream and vanilla: Turn the mixer back to low, then add the vanilla and cream. Continue to mix on medium speed until the frosting is light and fluffy. Use immediately or add to a piping bag to use on your favorite desserts!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature before beginning the recipe. This will ensure that they blend together smoothly and create a creamy and fluffy frosting.
- Sift your powdered sugar before adding it to the mixture. This will help prevent any lumps in the frosting and ensure a smooth and velvety texture.
- When adding the powdered sugar and cinnamon, start on low speed and work your way up to medium. This will help prevent the sugar from flying out of the bowl and ensure it’s fully incorporated into the frosting.
- Use a stand or hand mixer to make this frosting, as it requires a lot of whipping to get a light and fluffy texture. Trying to mix it by hand will be difficult and take much longer.
- Add the cream slowly, a little bit at a time, until you reach the desired consistency. If you add too much cream at once, the frosting may become too runny and lose its fluffy texture.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: To store this fluffy cinnamon cream cheese frosting, simply transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to one week. Before using the frosting, allow it to come to room temperature and give it a quick whip with a hand mixer to restore its fluffy texture.
Freezing: If you want to freeze this frosting for later use, transfer it to an airtight container and freeze it for up to three months. When you’re ready to use it, thaw the frosting in the refrigerator overnight and then allow it to come to room temperature. Once it’s thawed, give it a quick whipping with a hand mixer to restore its fluffy texture.
Is there a difference between cream cheese icing and cream cheese frosting?
Yes, frosting is usually thicker than icing and has more body to it. Cream cheese frosting is also made with powdered sugar, cream, and butter for a rich and creamy texture that’s perfect for decorating cakes or cupcakes.
What other warming spices can be added to this cream cheese frosting?
You can add any warming spices such as nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, or ginger to this frosting. Just be sure to adjust the quantity of sugar and cream depending on how much spice you add.
What thickens cream cheese frosting?
Powdered sugar is the main thickening agent for cream cheese frost. You can also use a combination of powdered sugar and cornstarch or arrowroot powder for extra thickening power. Make sure to add these ingredients slowly, a bit at a time, until you reach desired consistency.
MORE WAYS TO ENJOY
Spread or pipe this tangy and warm cinnamon frosting on these delicious desserts!
Fluffy Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup butter unsalted, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cream
- Make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature for easy mixing.
- In the bowl of a hand or stand mixer, add the 1 block cream cheese and the 1/2 cup unsalted butter and mix on low- medium speed for 1 minute or until fully creamed together.
- Stop and scrape down the mixer. Add in the 4 cups powdered sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix on low speed working your way up to medium speed as the sugar mixes in. Mix for 2 mins more until fully mixed.
- Turn the mixer to low and add in the 1/4 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp cream. Mix again on medium speed for 1 more minute until super light and fluffy.
- Pipe over cupcakes.