These double chocolate peppermint cookies are stuffed with chocolate peppermint bark and are sure to be your new favorite holiday cookie!
Holy moly these cookies are good.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
And look at them, they are pretty too, and just screaming “make me for the holidays!”
You should so listen to the cookies.
These double chocolate peppermint cookies are laced with minty flavor and then studded and stuffed with chocolate peppermint Ghirardelli bark.
The hardest part about making these cookies is waiting for them to chill before baking. Like I say to my kids, I know it’s so hard to wait but it is worth it in the end!
Do I have to chill the dough?
Chilling the dough ensures that your cookies won’t spread too much and they still retain their shape. It’s very tempting to just shove them into the oven once they are ready but trust me, you should chill em.
Can I make these cookies in advance?
You totally can!
Just freeze the dough balls (hehe) on a sheet tray for one hour, then once firm, move the balls (still hehe, I’m a child) into a ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months!
Bake them all at the same time, or if you are looking for a midnight snack, take one or two (or 6 no judgment) out and bake them as a treat!
I like to always have dough balls (hehe I’M SORRY) in my freezer in case of last minute guests, because that means you can always have dessert ready in 15 mins or less.
So if your inlaws happen to show up unannounced this holiday season, you can have these at the ready to serve up or use them to keep yourself sane.
Just hold off on the ball jokes.
For more cookies and a guide on how to create a cookie gift box, check out these links!
- How to Create the Ultimate Cookie Gift Box
- Raspberry Lemon Linzer Cookies
- Chewy Lemon Coconut Cookies
- Chewy White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chunky Cherry Pistachio Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something from the link, I get a small commission at no extra cost to you. THANKS FRIEND!
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs large
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup peppermint flavored chocolate bar such as Ghirardelli peppermint bark, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Prepare 2 half sheet trays with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugars on low-medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, combining into the mix before adding the next. Then pour in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and continue to mix until dough forms.
- Stop the mixer, add the chopped chocolate and mix by hand, so you don’t break up the chocolate too much.
- Using an ice cream scooper, or a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the dough into even shaped balls and line then up on the sheet trays with about 1” of space in between.
- Take a few small chopped pieces and press them down onto the tops or sides of the cookie dough. Not too hard to press the dough down, just light enough to get it to stick to the top.
- Freeze for 1 hour, then preheat your oven to 350°F, and bake the cookies for 15 minutes.