Eggnog snickerdoodle cookies are a fun take on classic snickerdoodles. Just in time for holiday baking, these cookies are crispy and chewy and have that delicious eggnog flavor that you love!
We’ve all had snickerdoodle cookies right?
Classic snickerdoodles have two things- they are made with cream of tartar and they are rolled in a cinnamon sugar coating before they are baked.
But-have you have eggnog snickerdoodle cookies? The classic rum flavor is enhanced in this holiday cookie recipe with the addition of rum extract to give it a little boost!
Ingredients you need for this recipe
You’ll need the normal cookie ingredients like butter, sugar, and flour. But you will also need eggnog, rum extract, and cream of tartar.
What is cream of tartar and why do I need it
Cream of tartar is a leavening agent and is what makes a snickerdoodle different than any other cookie. If you make these without using cream of tartar, some would argue and say these weren’t the real deal.
Combined with baking soda, cream of tartar gives these cookies their classic tangy taste and makes them more chewy than the average soft sugar cookie.
How to make Eggnog Snickerdoodles
You can make these cookies by hand, in a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the softened butter and sugar. Mix until a thick paste forms, then add in the egg, rum extract, and eggnog. Mix again till combined.
- Add in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt and mix until a uniform dough is formed.
- In a small bowl combine cinnamon and sugar and mix.
- Scoop using a small ice cream scoop or roll out balls of dough. A good rule of thumb (HA!) is to connect your pointer finger to your thumb and thats how big the cookie dough balls should be. Roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Really get in there to make sure it is coated well.
- Bake the cookies 6 at a time on cookie sheets at 350°F for 12-13 mins.
This recipe makes 2 dozen cookies!
Storing and freezing
You can freeze the cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet for an hour, then transfer them to a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When you want to bake them, just leave them out at room temperature for 10 minutes before.
To freeze already baked cookies, line them in a freezer safe bag and squeeze all the air out of it. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Store the cookie sin an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days although I do think they taste best within the first 2 days!
Tips for baking success
- Stagger the cookie dough on the baking sheet so that the cookies don’t spread into each other
- Only bake 6 at a time so that they all have enough room
- This recipe can be doubled without any issues
- If you are using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to mix the dough.
These are the best holiday or Christmas cookies to make this season!
Want more holiday cookies? Try these!
- Gingersnap Cookies
- Gingerbread Biscotti
- Raspberry Lemon Linzer Cookies
- Cherry Pistachio Oatmeal Cookies
Eggnog Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar divided
- 1 egg large
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1-2 tbsp cinnamon depending how you like it
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and prepare two sheet trays with parchment paper. You'll be using each twice.
- In a medium size mixing bowl or using a hand or stand mixer (use the paddle attachment) combine the 1 cup butter with 1 1/4 cup sugar and mix with a spatula or on low speed until a thick paste forms. Add in the egg, 1/4 cup eggnog, and 1 tsp rum extract, and mix again until combined.
- Add the 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2tsp cream of tartar, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix until a thick dough forms.
- In a small bowl combine the leftover 1/2 cup sugar with 1-2 tablespoons cinnamon. Scoop the cookie dough using a small cookie scoop or by shaping it with your hands. The size should be the same size as if you connected your pointer finger to your thumb. Roll the cookies in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place 6 cookies on a baking sheet staggered.
- Bake the cookies for 12-13 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown and the tops are cracked.