If you’re looking for something extra special to satisfy your sweet tooth, then you will love these Decadent Fudgy Oreo Brownies! These brownies have a soft and fudgy texture that is studded with creamy crunchy Oreo cookies! Plus they have the crackly tops that delicious brownies have!
As a trained pastry chef, I’ve spent many, many hours making different types of desserts. However, some of my favorites are a mash-up between two classic treats. This recipe for Oreo brownies takes a classic dessert and gives it an Oreo makeover!
The base of the recipe starts with my one bowl brownie recipe. These can easily be made by using simple baking ingredients like cocoa powder, flour, sugar, eggs, and chocolate. The secret to fudgy brownies is keeping them dense, which means they’re not overbaked. Brownies don’t need leavening agents like baking powder or soda which also keeps them super fudgy!
Once the brownie batter is mixed, it’s poured halfway into the pan and topped with a line of Oreo cookies to create a layer right in the center with every bite. Top with the rest of the batter and crushed Oreos to round it out, and you have an out-of-this-world treat!
While these are super quick and easy to make, you can also try these Oreo Cheesecake Brownies if you can spare a couple extra minutes- it’s so worth it!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- These Oreo brownies are the perfect combination of two classic desserts that everyone loves – fudgy brownies and Oreo cookies!
- This recipe is incredibly easy to make – you only need a few simple ingredients, and it requires little prep time.
- The end result is an incredibly delicious treat that is sure to please everyone in your family.
- Oreo brownies are great for taking to parties or gatherings – they’re always a hit!
- Butter – Used as the oil in this recipe, butter gives the brownies moisture as well as a buttery taste.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – Once melted, chocolate chips add a dense chocolate texture and flavor.
- Granulated Sugar – Sweetens up the base of the brownies.
- Eggs – Binds the ingredients in the brownies and helps them set properly. The eggs are whipped which gives the brownies the lift they need without baking powder or baking soda.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a hint of fragrant vanilla flavor.
- Flour – This dry ingredient helps create structure in the brownies.
- Cocoa Powder – Used to add even more chocolate flavor and adds a chocolate brown color.
- Salt – Helps balance and enhances the sweetness in the cookies.
- Oreo Cookies – These crunchy creamy cookies are the perfect addition to brownies because they add texture and flavor.
HOW TO MAKE OREO BROWNIES
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
Melt the chocolate: Add the chocolate and butter to a microwave-safe small bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is completely melted. Set aside and let cool slightly.
Whip the eggs and sugar: Add the sugar and eggs to a medium-sized bowl and whip for four minutes using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Don’t skip this step. Whipping the egg whites creates crackled tops!
Assemble the brownie batter: Gently fold the chocolate and butter mixture into the eggs taking care not to deflate the eggs. Use a spatula for this, and don’t mix vigorously. Add the vanilla extract and mix. Add in all of the dry ingredients and mix gently until combined.
Add the cookies: Pour half of the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan. Then, top the brownies with one layer of Oreo cookies (16). Pour the rest of the brownie batter on top. Crush the rest of the cookies into pieces, then sprinkle them on top.
Bake and cool: Bake the brownies for 28 minutes. Let them cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Do not overmix the wet and dry ingredients, as this could cause the brownies to have a tough texture.
- To create the crackly top on the brownies, you’ll need to whip the eggs and sugar for four minutes. Skipping this step will not create that glossy effect on top.
- The brownies will continue to set as they cool, so be sure to cool completely before cutting them into squares.
- To make the perfect brownie cut – chill the brownies for 2 hours, then dip a sharp chef’s knife in hot water and wipe it off. Cut the brownies, wiping off the knife after each cut.
- Swap oreos for your favorite cookie, such as fudge striped cookies, chocolate chip cookies, or even snickerdoodles!
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: Once cooled, oreo brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Freezing: Wrap oreo brownies in parchment paper and then wrap them again in aluminum foil. Place them into a freezer-safe zip top bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy oreo brownies straight from the freezer!
How do you make brownies fudgy?
Using just a little bit of dry ingredients (flour& cocoa) and no leavening agents are what give brownies their fudgy texture. Brownies don’t need leavening because the whipped eggs create all the lift they need.
Can Oreo brownies be stored in the refrigerator?
These brownies are best when stored outside of the fridge as this will keep moisture from getting into the cookies, which can make them stale and soggy.
Can I use other types of Oreos?
Yes! There are plenty of Oreo cookie flavors you can choose from, including peanut butter oreos, double stuff Oreos, and even birthday cake oreos! Feel free to mix it up according to your taste.
WAYS TO ENJOY
- Add a thick layer of Cream Cheese Frosting to the top.
- Make it even more chocolatey by adding Chocolate Brownie Frosting on top, then sprinkling with Oreos.
- Make Oreo Brownie Ice Cream Sandwiches by adding a scoop of your favorite ice cream in between two oreo brownies!
- Top oreo brownies with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge for a rich dessert.
Decadent and Fudgy Oreo Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips about 1 heaping cup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 22 Oreo cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and 6 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for a couple minutes.
- In a medium bowl add the 1 cup sugar and 3 large eggs and whip on high speed using an electric mixer for 4 minutes. You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Gently fold the chocolate and butter mixture into the eggs taking care not to deflate the eggs. Use a spatula for this and don’t mix vigorously. Add the 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix.
- Next add in the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix gently until combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the lined baking pan, then line the pan with 16 Oreo cookies. Pour the rest of the brownie batter on top.
- Crush the remaining 6 cookies into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the brownies. Bake for 28 minutes.