Mascarpone frosting is a light and easy to make sweet frosting. It is made with only 4 ingredients and perfect for layering cakes or even just dipping in some berries!
Think of this as like an elevated whipped cream frosting recipe. It’s light and sweet but has an extra richness to it. It also is way more stable than whipped cream which makes it great for cupcakes or cakes!
You can use this frosting recipe to pipe decorations and designs onto cake and it will hold it’s shape!
What is Mascarpone anyways?
Mascarpone is an Italian cream cheese. It’s different than American style cream cheese because its less dense and has a yellow-ish color to it. You can use it in sweet and savory recipes!
Mascarpone (obviously LOL)– I buy mascarpone cheese at Trader Joes, or the BelGioioso brand. They are both kosher!
Heavy whipping cream– you cannot substitute this because you will need to whip it.
Confectioners sugar- adds sweetness and helps to stabilize the frosting
Vanilla extract– you can substitute this with almond extract too.
How to make
First things first- do not over mix the heavy cream or the frosting. It’s easy to do, so just keep an eye out on it. If the frosting is over mixed it can curdle and nobody wants that.
- In a medium bowl beat the mascarpone, vanilla, and confectioners sugar together either with a spatula or with a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment until combined.
- In another bowl, add the heavy cream and whip on high until stiff peaks form, about two minutes. You will need a hand or stand mixer with the whip attachment for this part.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture and it is ready for use!
Some people say you can substitute mascarpone with American cream cheese, but I think the whole allure of this recipe is using the mascarpone. I wouldn’t substitute it unless you absolutely had to.
Making ahead and storing
This recipe can be made up to 2 days in advance and kept in the fridge. It wont get hard, yet it will still be stabilized. If your are topping a cake with this, I would store the cake in the fridge.
To make this just for dipping- store the frosting in a bowl with a piece of plastic directly over the frosting. Keep it in the fridge!
What to use this for
You can use really this recipe as a substitute for anything that calls for a cream cheese frosting, to give it a little spin!
Mascarpone Frosting Recipe
- Hand or Stand mixer
- 1 8 oz Mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream cold
- In a medium sized bowl combine the 8 oz of mascarpone and the 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Mix with a spatula until combined and smooth.
- Add in the 3/4 confectioners sugar and mix again until combined. Alternatively you can use a hand or stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- In another medium sized bowl, add the 1 cup heavy whipping cream and using a hand or stand mixer with the whip attachment, whip until stiff peaks form. About 2 minutes. Make sure not to over whip as the cream will curdle.
- Take the whipped cream and fold it in turns into the mascarpone with a big spatula. Fold and mix until the whipped cream is no longer visible. Store in a bowl in the fridge or use for cake decorating!