Coffee frosting is so fluffy and easy to make! It’s made with instant coffee and is my favorite frosting for any type of chocolate dessert from cakes to cupcakes and everything in between!
Especially chocolate desserts! Coffee is used a lot in chocolate desserts because it brings out the chocolate flavor even more.
So what happens if you top your baked goods with this super easy to make coffee frosting?
Well then you are in coffee heaven my friend!!!
Instant coffee- were using this twice in the recipe. Once in the dissolved form, and then again by throwing some instant coffee granules into the mix! If you don’t have instant you can also use whatever coffee granules you have.
Butter– Make sure you use softened butter otherwise the butter and sugar will not properly cream together.
Milk or cream– These are interchangeable in this recipe, you can even use a dairy free milk or even water if you want!
How to make coffee frosting
- Start by adding butter and sifted confectioners sugar to the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes until fluffy and mixed together.
- Add in the dissolved instant coffee and beat again for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl then add the cream and dry instant coffee granules and mix again for 30 seconds.
HOW EASY IS THAT?!
How to store
Store the frosting in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap lined directly over the frosting. This helps the buttercream from forming a crust.
You can also rip a piece of plastic wrap and dump the frosting on top of it. Wrap it up and store it in the fridge or even freeze it for up to 2 months!
Tips for recipe success
Sift the confectioners sugar so that the frosting will be smoother and you wont have any clumps. This is not a necessary step but it does help!
There really is no way to mess this recipe up. If the frosting is too thick, then add 1/2 tbsp milk or cream at a time to loosen it.
If the frosting is too thin, add a little more confectioners sugar (1/4 cup at a time) until it thickens.
You can adjust the coffee flavor by adding in more or less of the dry instant coffee granules, and remember the flavor will deepen over time! You can also leave out the dry granules if you prefer.
Desserts to top this with
- Chocolate cake!! This frosting works well in between layers and also to frost an entire cake with.
- Sandwich it between cookies.
- Vanilla cake
For cake decorating resources check out these posts:
Happy caking friends!!!
Coffee Frosting Recipe
- Stand or Hand mixer
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 cups confectioners sugar sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules divided
- 1/2 tsp milk or cream
- Add the 1 cup softened butter to the bowl of a hand or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the sifted 3 cups of confectioners sugar and beat on low speed working up to medium for 2 minutes.
- Dissolve 1 tsp of the instant coffee granules in 1 tbsp of water. With the mixer on medium speed add the coffee to the bowl. Stop and scrape down the bowl. Add the 1/2 tsp cream and the remaining 1/2 tsp dry instant granules to the frosting and mix on low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- Spread all over cakes and cupcakes!