Are you looking for a delicious banana treat? These Fudgy and Rich Banana Brownies are the perfect indulgence! They’re made with real bananas, along with simple baking ingredients giving them a unique flavor that will leave you wanting more!
Bananas and chocolate are a delicious combination- plus bananas are so great for baking so I thought let’s make banana brownies! As a professionally trained baker, it took me a few tries to get this one right but it was totally worth it!
Chocolate lovers will love that these are fudgy and rich like a good fudgy brownie recipe should be, plus they have just a hint of banana for that classic combo. These are a little different than my banana bread brownies, as those are a combo of banana bread and brownies, but they are just as delicious!
Bananas are a great source of flavor, but they also offer the benefit of being natural sweeteners. Not to mention the banana adds moisture to your desserts—which is especially true for these banana brownies!
In this easy brownie recipe, we take simple baking ingredients like flour, sugar, and cocoa powder and mix them with spotty ripe bananas. The batter itself is incredibly easy to make and takes just minutes to whip up, and are fully baked in under 30 minutes!
Try these banana brownies out for a school fundraiser or a special weekend treat! And if you love these brownies, you’ll surely love making homemade cosmic brownies, Triple Chocolate Brownies, or even Brownie Cookies!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- These banana brownies are perfect for any banana lover, as the natural banana flavor is present in every bite but is not overwhelming at all!
- They’re made with easy-to-find ingredients, so you don’t have to worry about finding anything special!
- The banana adds a unique texture and flavor that you won’t get from traditional brownies.
- They are easy to assemble and only take about 30 minutes to bake!
- Unsalted Butter – This is used as the oil in the recipe, which gives the brownies a rich smoothness with a buttery flavor.
- Dark Chocolate – Solid chocolate gets added to brownies to create a deep flavor and a glossy finish. I like to use semi sweet chocolate for this recipe.
- Bananas – Ripe bananas add natural sweetness and moisture to the banana brownies, making them extra fudgy!
- Flour – This is what gives banana brownies their structure and helps hold it all together.
- Sugar– White sugar adds a hint of sweetness that complements the natural flavor of banana.
- Vanilla Extract – This adds a hint of fragrant vanilla flavor to the banana brownies that pair perfectly with the banana.
- Cocoa Powder – Cocoa powder gives banana brownies their deep chocolate flavor and also helps deepen the color.
- Kosher Salt – Salt is used in baking recipes to enhance all the other flavors in your banana brownies.
The best bananas to use
The best bananas to use for baking are spotted ripe bananas because they are sweeter than bananas without spots. They will also be more mushy so they are easier to mash up and incorporate into batters.
HOW TO MAKE Banana Brownies
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Clamp down the sides of the pan with clips to hold the parchment paper in place. Set aside while you prepare the brownie batter.
Melt the chocolate and add banana: In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes before adding the mashed banana and vanilla extract to the chocolate and butter mixture.
Whip egg and sugar: In a medium bowl, add the eggs and sugar. Use an electric mixer like a hand mixer or a stand mixer using the paddle attachment. Whip until the mixture is light and foamy. This should take about three minutes. Whipping the egg with the sugar is an important step as it allows the brownies to have those classic crinkly tops and shiny texture.
Assemble the brownie batter: Add the egg and sugar mixture into the banana and chocolate mixture, stirring until fully combined. Then, add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold until the batter is just combined with no dry streaks of flour remaining.
Bake and cool: Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 25-28 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy! Top the brownies with this easy brownie frosting if you want to go the extra mile.
How to make brownies with crinkled and shiny tops
The secret to this is mixing the eggs with the sugar separately in a medium bowl on high speed for a full 3-4 minutes. The high speed mixing creates air pockets in the eggs which allow them to foam up, double in size, and even change color. When baked, this creates the shiny crinkled tops!
This is also why we dont need any leavening agents like baking soda or powder in brownies.
If you choose to skip this step the brownies will still be delicious but the tops will be smooth and look different
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- If you skip whipping the eggs whites separately then they wont have the crackled tops!
- Make sure your banana is ripe enough for this banana brownie recipe. The banana should be spotty, with some brown spots on the skin. This will make sure that the banana flavor is prominent in every bite..
- Do not overmix the brownie batter, as this can cause them to be tough and dry.
- It’s important to cool banana brownies completely before cutting them into squares, as it helps them set into their perfect shape.
- Mix-ins: If you’d like to add an extra flavor, try adding some mix-ins to your banana brownies, such as chocolate chips, chopped nuts, coconut flakes, or even dried fruit!
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Once cooled, store banana brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze banana brownies by wrapping them tightly in parchment paper and then placing them in a freezer bag or airtight container. When ready to eat, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
What makes brownies fudgier?
Adding natural ripe banana adds a natural sweetness and moisture that makes banana brownies extra fudgy!
How do I get brownies to have a smooth layer on top?
Whipping the egg and sugar together for three minutes before adding it to the banana and chocolate mixture helps create a glossy top layer that improves the texture and look of the brownies.
How do I know when a banana is ripe enough to use for baking?
A banana is ripe enough to use for baking when it has brown spots on the skin, and it yields slightly when gently pressed with your finger.
Take your banana brownies to the next level by spreading a layer of thick, decadent frosting on top! Here are my favorites:
- Chocolate Brownie Frosting
- Small Batch Chocolate Buttercream
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Fudgy and Rich Banana Brownies
- ½ cup unsalted butter 113g
- 3 oz dark chocolate
- 1 ripe banana mashed.
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs large at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar 200g
- ½ cup flour 60g
- ¼ cup cocoa powder 21g
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray. Clamp down the sides of the pan with clips to hold the parchment paper in place.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the 1/2 cup butter and 3 oz chocolate. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until the chocolate is completely melted. Up to 90 seconds total. Let the chocolate cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the mashed banana and 1 tbsp vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture.
- In a medium bowl whip the eggs and 1 cup sugar until light and foamy, 3 minutes. This creates the shiny crackled tops!
- Add the chocolate banana mixture into the eggs gently with a spatula and stir lightly until combined.
- Next add in the 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and 1/2 tsp kosher salt. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking pan and bake for 25-28 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting into them!
- Frost with brownie frosting if desired!