This simple recipe for banana chocolate chip muffins has the perfect balance of banana and chocolate. The batter uses yogurt along with eggs to make them super moist and flavorful. Enjoy them as breakfast, a snack or bring to a brunch!
There is just something about bananas and chocolate chips. Anytime I bake anything with banana in it, my whole house smells like heaven. I know bananas get a bad rap when it comes to other flavors – don’t even get me started on banana laffy taffys, but when it comes to baking, you CANNOT go wrong with banana!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
First of all, who doesn’t love a good moist banana chocolate chip muffin! My kids love these as a quick snack or for packing in their lunch bags.
Also if you’re like me and always have a ripe banana or two sitting on your counter, well then thats just an excuse to make these! Ripened, black, and spotty bananas are the best ones to bake with for moist banana bread, cakes or muffins!
These can also be baked in large batches if you have a bunch of bananas you need to get rid of.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Melted Butter – Adds a rich buttery flavor and helps keep the muffins dense.
- Mashed Ripe Bananas – The star of this recipe is mashed bananas. They add a classic texture to the muffins along with a natural sweetness and banana flavor. Make sure your bananas are ripe! Ripe bananas typically have completely brown skin and can be mashed very easily.
- Eggs – Eggs are important in any muffin recipe because they help bind all the ingredients together and help add density to the muffin.
- Vanilla – Vanilla extract is a flavor that pairs well with banana, chocolate and most any baked treat!
- Yogurt – Yogurt is one of the key ingredients to making these muffins super moist. Make sure you use plain full fat yogurt!
- Milk – Milk helps thin out the batter while adding a creamy texture.
- White Flour – You’ll need white flour as the base of the muffin.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar adds sweetness that balances out the sweetness of the chocolate chips and banana.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – These two ingredients will help the muffins rise and become fluffy but still dense!
- Salt – Salt balances the flavors of all the ingredients.
- Chocolate Chips – You’ll need your favorite chocolate chips to fold into the batter. Feel free to use mini chocolate chips!
How To Make Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Melt the butter in a medium size microwave safe bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients: mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, and milk and mix to combine.
- In another bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix only until the batter comes together. Do not overmix. Pour the chocolate chips in and lightly fold again until chocolate chips are incorporated throughout.
- Line a muffin tin with 18 liners. Fill the muffins ¾ of the way full. Place a few more chocolate chips on top for garnish.
- Bake for 8 minutes on 425 then lower to 350 for 12 mins. Baking them at a low temperature at first and then increasing the temperature helps give muffins their dome shape!
How to keep banana muffins moist
- Use a combination of eggs and yogurt. The yogurt will add a beautiful density and creaminess to the batter and the eggs will help keep them moist and stay together. Do not use low fat yogurt!
- Use super ripe bananas! These are the ones that are black and spotty and you *almost* want to throw in the garbage. Dont! Bake with them instead!
- Don’t over mix! It’s important to just fold in the ingredients until the batter is formed. Over mixing will cause the gluten in the starch to become stretchy which will change the texture of the muffins.
- Don’t bake longer than 25 minutes total. Since muffins are a lot smaller than banana breads or cakes, in most cases they only need under 30 minutes to bake. Any longer than that and they risk becoming more dry.
- Add in a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Sprinkle on a spoonful of Streusel Topping before baking.
- Use white, dark, or semisweet chocolate chips to fold into the muffin batter.
- Add in 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to the dry ingredients for extra chocolate flavor.
- Sprinkle in some of your favorite chopped nuts such as pecans or walnuts.
Storing & Freezing
Storing: These muffins can stay on the countertop or in the fridge in a sealed container or bag for 4-5 days.
Freezing: The best way to freeze banana muffins is to wrap them individually in a layer of plastic wrap under a layer of aluminum foil or put them in a freezer safe plastic bag. This will keep them from getting freezer burn and will help preserve the flavor. They can be stored up to 3-4 months in the freezer and only need a couple hours to defrost on the counter!
Other Banana Recipes You’ll Love
The Best Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
- ½ cup Melted Butter
- 2 Bananas peeled and mashed
- 2 Eggs large
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Plain Full Fat Yogurt
- ¼ cup Milk
- 2 cups White Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips mini or regular
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Melt the 1/2 cup butter in a medium size microwave safe bowl. Add the mashed bananas, 2 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 3/4 cup yogurt, and 1/4 cup milk and mix to combine.
- In another bowl combine the 2 cups flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix only until the batter comes together. Do not overmix. Pour the chocolate chips in and lightly mix again.
- Line a muffin tin with 18 liners. Fill the muffins ¾ of the way full. Place a few more chocolate chips on top for garnish. Bake for 8 minutes on 425 then lower to 350 for 12 mins.