These big and chewy lemon coconut cookies have the perfect balance between sweet and zesty, you’ll want to eat them all!
I’m all about these cookies man.
When you think about cookies, I know lemon coconut is probably not the first thing that comes to your mind. It would probably be something like chocolate chip, something with sprinkles, or even maybe a classic linzer.
Well, lets change that!
What I love about these chewy lemon coconut cookies is that they pack a punch. To the naked eye they just look like a classic sugar cookie with some coconut flakes added in.
Then you take a bite and it’s like bam! You are hit with a tangy lemon flavor along with the coconut nutty-ness. Best of all , they are BIG.
I love a big cookie because then you can tell yourself that you only had one. Who cares if it’s the size of your toddler’s head, it’s just one cookie. #justified.
These cookies also make a great gift! I made them as part of my cookie gift box for the holidays this year, along with a bunch of other really yummy and fun cookies. There are links below for you to check out all the other ones I included.
Who wouldn’t want a box full of cookies!?
SIGN ME UP.
Also, if there was one cookie that made me feel like I was on some tropical flavor vacation, these would be it.
Between the lemon and the coconut, I’m just gonna pretend that I’m in Hawaii with a fruity drink (read: ALCOHOL) and one of these cookies in my hand.
Check out the links below to see all my cookie box recipes and a How-To on creating your own cookie gift box:
- How to Create the Ultimate Cookie Gift Box
- Raspberry Lemon Linzer Cookies
- Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Chewy White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip cookies
- Chunky Cherry Pistachio Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies
Big and Chewy Lemon Coconut Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs large
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- Prepare 2 half sheet trays with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugars on low-medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add the eggs one at a time, combining into the mix before adding the next.
- Add the lemon extract and lemon zest continue to mix. You may have to scrape down the sides of the bowl to mix everything together.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and continue to mix until dough forms.
- Stop the mixer, add the coconut flakes and mix by hand, so you don’t break them up too much.
- Using an ice cream scooper, or a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the dough into even shaped balls and line then up on the sheet trays with about 1” of space in between.
- Freeze for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F, then bake the cookies for 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.