Banana bundt cake is a beautiful way to use up leftover bananas. The sweetness of the extra ripe bananas lends to a perfectly moist bundt cake. Drizzled with a chocolate glaze, it’s a match made in heaven!
Super ripe mashed bananas are so perfectly sweet and add extra moisture to any baked good. And for me, nothing pairs with bananas better than chocolate!
When I developed this recipe, I wanted to really punch up that banana flavor with a smooth nut-free batter and then drizzle with a chocolate glaze for that classic flavor combo. As a trained pastry chef I love coming up with fun baking ideas, and knew this one would be great! If you want a sheet cake option, I highly recommend this banana cake made with oil!
USING BANANAS IN BAKING
Are those spotty bananas staring at you?
We all have that overlooked bunch of nanners on our counter. You know – the ones that seem to age by the minute and everyone in your house ignores them as they look for something to eat.
Never let those guys go to waste!
Once your bananas get really spotty and brown, you know they are perfect for baking! Their natural sugars come out as they age resulting in sweeter banana bread or… banana bundt cake.
Freeze them by individually wrapping peeled bananas in plastic wrap if you’re not ready to use them right away. Or get to work now and make this delicious cake!
FOR THE CAKE:
You need fairly standard baking pantry ingredient for this bundt cake, but I’m just going to point out a couple here.
- Bananas– enough to equal one cup mashed, so that’s about two medium bananas
- Vegetable oil- this also helps give the cake its smooth moist texture.
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE:
- Chocolate chips – semi-sweet is best here
- Vegetable oil– adds that sheen and makes it really pourable!
HOW TO MAKE BANANA BUNDT CAKE
- Start with your wet ingredients and mix together your mashed bananas, oil, vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add the sugar to your wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Use your trusty standup or hand mixer or whip together by hand.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and mix lightly until combined.
- Pour the batter into a very well greased bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Make sure to check out my post on how to bake and get a bundt cake out of the pan perfectly.
MAKING THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- Combine chocolate chips with vegetable oil in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until the chocolate has melted.
- Once the cake has cooled, drizzle the chocolate glaze over the top.
This cake is also SUPER delish with a cream cheese frosting if you want to skip the chocolate glaze!
- I use a 10 cup bundt pan for this recipe. If you use a smaller or larger pan you will have to adjust the baking time accordingly
- Top with powdered sugar if you don’t want to make the chocolate glaze
- Make sure to mash the bananas well so they are incorporated easily into the batter.
- add 1 cup chocolate chips to make this a banana chocolate chip cake.
LOVE BUNDT CAKES? CHECK OUT THESE RECIPES!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something off of one of those links I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
Banana Bundt Cake Recipe
For the cake
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana About 2 medium-large or 3 small bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
For the glaze
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Chocolate Chips for garnish (optional)
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F and generously grease a bundt pan with baking spray. You can make this recipe by hand or by using a hand or stand mixer on medium speed.
- In a large bowl mash the 1 cup bananas. It's ok if there are little lumps. Add the 3 eggs, 1 cup vegetable oil, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and stir to combine. Add the 1 1/2 cups of sugar to combine.
- In another bowl or over a large piece of parchment paper combine the 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Add the mixture to the bowl and mix lightly until combined.
- Pour the batter into the bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes. The cake is done when the edges start to pull away from the sides and the top feels firm when touched.
- Allow cake to cool at least 10 minutes then invert into a wired rack to cool.
For the glaze
- Combine 1 cup chocolate chips with 1 tsp vegetable oil in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until chocolate has melted.
- Drizzle over cooled cake. Sprinkle leftover chocolate chips on top of the glaze for more chocolate flavor.