This chocolate banana cake has double the chocolate and can be made dairy free! It’s perfect for when you have ripe bananas sitting on your counter!
Hot damn this chocolate banana cake is so good.
Chocolate Banana Cake
Very often I buy bananas, and then very often they sit on my counter till they are bruised and black in the bowl in the corner of my kitchen where my fruit go to die.
Sometimes I do get to them before they over-ripen, for smoothies and things, but when its been too long and its just about time to *almost* throw them away, I use them as an excuse to bake.
Using overripe bananas
Don’t throw away your overripe bananas! Use them instead to bake with, or peel them, wrap them in plastic and then freeze them for another baking session.
An overripe banana is perfect for baking with! The darker and more spotted and bruised it is, the sweeter it will be in the recipe. This means you can make your banana breads healthier too because you won’t need as much sugar.
How to make chocolate banana cake from scratch
You can either make this recipe by hand in a medium sized bowl, or in your mixer. I prefer to make it by hand, but it is up to you!
Combine the butter or butter substitute with the sugars and mix with a spatula (or the paddle attachment if using a stand mixer) until a think paste forms. Then add in the chopped bananas and mix again. The bananas don’t have to be totally smushed up. There can be some lumps!
Next add in the eggs one at a time, mixing in between. Then add in the dry ingredients and vanilla. The batter will be very thick!
My recipe calls for chocolate chips but you can add in nuts or anything else that sounds good to you. Just make sure you dust the add in with a little flour. This ensures that it won’t sink to the bottom of your cake and will be evenly dispersed.
If you are using your stand mixer I recommend adding in your add ins by hand so they don’t get crushed up.
Pour the batter into an oiled or parchment paper lined loaf pan and fill.
I top the banana bread with more chocolate chips because YOLO why not! These ones don’t have to be dusted with flour so don’t worry about that, they won’t sink.
Bake on 350° for 45- 50 minutes or until the edges of the cake start to break away from the loaf pan and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remember that the darker your pan is the quicker the loaf will bake, so if you are baking in a glass pan or a lighter colored pan, it may take a little longer.
How long does it last?
Store this cake covered and sealed with plastic wrap on the counter for up to 3 days. It is freezer friendly too and can last for 2 months in the freezer.
How to make this into muffins
You can totally make these into muffins! This recipe will make about a dozen muffins. Line a muffin tin with liners and fill them up 2/3 of the way with batter. Bake for 18- 20 minutes.
If you like this recipe you might like these!
- Chocolate swirled pumpkin bread
- Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Apple Bundt Cake
- Peach Muffins with Crumb Topping
Heads up! This post may contain affiliate links which means if you purchase something off that link, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!
Chocolate Banana Cake
- 1/2 cup Earth balance margarine, or butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 overripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 tsp flour separated
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 5x11 loaf pan with oil- preferably Baker's Joy
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the butter or butter substitute and sugars and whisk until a smooth paste forms. Alternatively you can use the paddle attachment in your stand mixer.
- Add the chopped bananas and mix well to combine. It's ok if its lumpy!
- Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring to combine in between.
- Add in the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda and mix.
- Add in the vanilla, stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, add 1 tsp flour and the chocolate chips. Toss together to coat to ensure the chips won't sink to the bottom of the cake.
- Pour the chocolate chip/flour mixture into the batter and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake 40-45 mins or until the middle no longer jiggles. If you insert a skewer and it comes out dry, it is done!
- If the bananas aren't as overripe as you would like, just mash really well and add to mixture.
- Try adding in nuts as a topping
- Try adding in white chocolate chips instead of the dark