Are you a caramel lover looking for the perfect way to cool down? This Easy Homemade Caramel Iced Coffee is just the thing you need! Make this quick caramel iced coffee in just two minutes for a sweet pick-me-up to start your morning.
Even though I’m a pastry chef, sometimes I hone in on my barista skills! Luckily, when making iced coffee from scratch, you don’t need any special skills. All you need is an obsession with coffee, and luckily I already have that!
Making iced coffee at home is great for so many reasons! First, you can adjust the caramel richness to your own tastes. Second, you can save money—iced coffee from a café or your local Starbucks can really add up! You can also switch it up and make vanilla iced coffee!
Caramel with coffee is the perfect combination because caramel brings out the sweetness of your coffee and helps to balance the bitter flavors. I recommend making your own caramel sauce from scratch because it’s made with simple ingredients and has a much richer flavor than any store-bought brand.
This 2 minute iced coffee couldn’t be easier to make. All you need is strong brewed coffee, caramel syrup, cream, and ice cubes. Just stir everything together, and voilà!
When you need a caffeine buzz with a sweet caramel twist, this caramel iced coffee is the way to go! You can also try this instant iced coffee recipe, or go for a smoothie and try this coffee protein smoothie or this coffee banana smoothie. They are all great ways to start your day!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Making caramel iced coffee at home is easy, fast, and delicious.
- You can customize the caramel flavor and level of creaminess to your liking.
- It’s a great value! You dont have to spend any time or money at a coffee shop!
- Caramel has a deep sweet flavor that pairs well with the bold flavor of brewed coffee.
- Caramel Syrup – Adds a rich caramel taste to the iced coffee, which also sweetens it.
- Cold Coffee – You’ll need chilled brewed coffee or your favorite cold brew to add caffeine and rich coffee flavor.
- Ice – Cools the coffee to make it cold and refreshing.
- Half and Half – Adds a creamy richness to the caramel iced coffee. You can also use heavy cream or whole milk.
Best Caramel Syrup to use
You can use any caramel syrup you want. I like Ghirardelli but also have Smuckers at hand always to also top ice cream! Torani Syrups are also great to add to your drinks but they are more like liquid flavoring and less like actual caramel.
HOW TO MAKE CARAMEL ICED COFFEE
Prepare the coffee: Brew your favorite coffee or use store-bought cold brew. Make sure it’s chilled or at room temperature before making this coffee drink.
Sweeten the coffee: Add homemade caramel sauce or a store-bought caramel sauce into a glass. You can also drizzle the caramel on the side of the glass first for a beautiful aesthetic. Add the coffee and stir until fully combined.
Add ice and cream: Pour the ice into the glass, then top it with your desired amount of cream.
Taste and adjust: Try a sip of the coffee and adjust the amount of caramel sauce or cream to your desired taste. Enjoy!
This recipe makes 1 serving of caramel iced coffee but you can easily double, triple or even quadruple (getting crazy now!) to make more servings.
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- When making the coffee, brew it stronger than usual, as you don’t want the ice cubes to water down the flavor of the coffee.
- The fastest way to chill hot coffee is to add a few ice cubes while it’s still warm.
- To make caramel iced coffee even richer, you can use heavy cream or whole milk instead of half and half.
- Try adding some flavored extracts, such as almond extract or peppermint, for an extra layer of flavor.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
You can mix the coffee, caramel syrup, and cream together without the ice and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. When you’re ready to enjoy, serve over ice!
To freeze, mix the coffee, caramel syrup, and cream together. Pour it into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid for three months. When ready to enjoy, thaw the ice cubes in the fridge overnight or blend the cubes with ice for a frozen caramel iced coffee.
Does Starbucks make caramel iced coffee?
Yes! Starbucks makes caramel iced coffee using caramel syrup. However, this homemade iced coffee is easy to make and is much less expensive.
What other flavors can I add to this iced coffee?
You can experiment with other flavorings, such as adding peppermint extract or almond extract for a holiday twist. You could also use different syrups like hazelnut or coconut instead of caramel.
What can I use besides cream?
For a lighter version of caramel iced coffee, you can substitute the cream with skim milk or almond milk. You could also try adding a spoonful of Greek yogurt for an extra bit of thickness and protein.
WAYS TO ENJOY
Caramel iced coffee is a great pairing with many different types of coffee treats!
Easy Homemade Caramel Iced Coffee
- 2 tbsp caramel simple syrup or to taste
- 8 oz coffee or cold brew
- 1 cup ice
- 2 tbsp half and half or favorite creamer
- In a tall glass add 2 tbsp caramel syrup (homemade or store bought). I like to drizzle it down the sides of the glass instead of just pouring it in.
- Add the 8 oz of cold brew or cold coffee.
- Add in the 1 cup ice or more.
- Next add in the half n half or your favorite milk or creamer.
- Stir, taste, and enjoy!