Moist and Rich Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
Indulge in ultimate chocolate decadence with these Moist and Rich Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes! Perfectly sweet, rich, and easy to make, these chocolate cupcakes are the perfect treat for any chocolate lover, especially when topped with a decadent chocolate fudge frosting!
As a a professional baker, I’ve learned that chocolate fudge cupcakes are a classic dessert that never fails to impress! They are rich, moist, and incredibly chocolatey, making them the perfect indulgent treat for any special occasion.
These cupcakes are made with a combination of cocoa powder and boiling water, which creates a smooth and velvety batter that bakes into a perfectly fluffy cupcake. The deep chocolate flavor is perfectly balanced with just the right amount of sweetness, so it’s not overpowering.
We use boiling water because the heat from the water will “bloom” the chocolate. This is just a fancy way of saying that it brings out and deepens the chocolate flavor.
What makes them extra fudgy is the addition of yogurt or sour cream, which adds a subtle tanginess that helps to balance all the flavors and textures. When topped with a generous dollop of chocolate fudge frosting, these cupcakes are the ultimate chocolate indulgence!
You can also top these cupcakes with a 3 ingredient whipped chocolate frosting, with an easy chocolate ganache frosting– or you can switch flavor profiles and use this cherry frosting for that classic combo.
If you are a serious chocolate lover make sure you dont miss out on this reader favorite Flourless Chocolate Cake, this Chocolate Loaf Cake, or these Chocolate Brownie Cookies that have 75 (!!) 5 star reviews!!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- This recipe is super easy to follow, so even if you’re a beginner baker, you can whip up a batch of these cupcakes that have bakery-style quality right at home!
- Perfect for any occasion, whether you’re celebrating something special or just need a rich chocolate pick-me-up.
- The chocolate fudge frosting is the perfect finishing touch to these cupcakes. It’s rich, creamy, and adds an extra layer of decadence, and is easy to make!
- They’re moist, chocolatey, and have the perfect balance of sweetness and richness.
- Sugar – Provides sweetness and helps to create a tender crumb in the cupcake.
- All-Purpose Flour – Provides structure and volume to the cupcake while mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Adds a rich chocolate flavor and color to the cupcake along with a natural brown color.
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder – Helps the cupcakes rise while baking.
- Kosher Salt – Enhances the flavor of the cupcakes and balances the sweetness.
- Eggs – Add moisture and richness, and act as a binding agent in the batter.
- Plain Yogurt or Sour Cream – Adds moisture and tanginess to the cupcakes, making them extra moist and delicious.
- Vegetable Oil – Adds moisture to the cupcakes and improves the rich texture.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a subtle and delicious vanilla flavor to the cupcakes that enhances the chocolate flavor.
- Boiling Water – Helps to bloom and dissolve the cocoa powder and creates a smooth and velvety batter. You can also use black coffee to do this too!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE FUDGE CUPCAKES FROM SCRATCH
Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
Combine the dry ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt. Whisk to combine.
Add in the wet ingredients: To the dry ingredients, add in the eggs and yogurt and mix until crumbly. Then, add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Slowly add the boiling water and mix until no dry ingredients remain.
Bake and cool: Pour the chocolate batter into the prepared muffin tin, making sure each muffin is only 3/4 of the way filled. Bake for 18 minutes. Cool completely before topping with chocolate fudge frosting. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Measure your ingredients accurately, especially the flour, as too much flour can make the cupcakes dry and dense.
- Don’t overmix the batter – mix until everything is just combined. Overmixing can cause the cupcakes to be tough and dense. Be sure to check the bottom of the bowl for any dry ingredients that can get trapped underneath.
- Use room-temperature eggs to ensure that they mix smoothly with the other ingredients in the batter.
- Add one teaspoon of espresso powder to the batter to further enhance the chocolate flavor.
- Don’t overfill the muffin tins, as this could cause the batter to spill out when baking.
- Make sure the water is boiling hot when you add it to the batter, as this helps to develop and deepen the chocolate flavor.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: These chocolate fudge cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. To keep them fresh for longer, store them in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just be sure to bring them to room temperature before serving so that they’re nice and soft.
Freezing: Wrap each cupcake tightly in plastic wrap, then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag. When you’re ready to enjoy them, let them thaw at room temperature for a few hours before frosting and serving.
Can I use a different type of flour, like whole wheat flour or almond flour, in this recipe?
This recipe is best made with all-purpose flour, as other types of flour may produce a denser or drier cupcake and will not be as moist and fudgy.
What is the best type of cocoa powder to use for chocolate fudge cupcakes?
Look for a cocoa powder that is labeled “natural” or “unsweetened.” This will give the most intense cocoa flavor and dark color to your cupcakes. Popular brands include Valrhona and Hershey’s.
WAYS TO ENJOY
This easy recipe for chocolate fudge frosting is highly recommended. However, you can also try out other frosting flavors!
Moist and Rich Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar, (200g)
- 1 cup all purpose flour, (120g)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (42g)
- ½ tsp baking soda, (3g)
- ½ tsp Baking powder, (2g)
- ½ tsp kosher salt, (3.5g)
- 2 eggs, (100g)
- ½ cup plain yogurt, or sour cream (114g)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, (24g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, (5g)
- ⅓ cup boiling water, (71g)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, ½ cup cocoa powder, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp baking powder, and ½ tsp kosher salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add in the 2 eggs, ½ cup yogurt, and mix. The mixture will be crumbly.
- Add in the 2 tbsp vegetable oil and 1 tsp vanilla extract, then slowly add in the boiling water. Make sure to mix well as some dry ingredients can get trapped on the bottom of the bowl. The mixture will be smooth now.
- Fill each muffin tin 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 18 mins. Cool completely.
- Frost with chocolate fudge frosting.