You can create a smooth, creamy Nutella Frosting with just 4 ingredients and 5 minutes! It is perfect for piping onto Nutella cupcakes, chocolate cakes, and more! The rich and nutty flavor of Nutella is a must-try for any lover of rich chocolate and a distinct hazelnut flavor!
Let’s talk Nutella! This creamy hazelnut spread has taken the world by storm, and it’s not hard to see why! The rich flavor of roasted hazelnuts blended with smooth, creamy chocolate is nothing short of heavenly. But have you ever thought about putting Nutella into your frosting? Well, now is the time!
What makes this Nutella frosting so easy to make is the fact that it only requires four ingredients: butter, powdered sugar, Nutella, and a splash of milk or cream. All you need to do is cream the butter and powdered sugar together, add in the Nutella and milk, and whip until smooth. It’s that easy, and delicious!
There are many ways to use Nutella icing, but the best way is to pipe it on Nutella cupcakes! The creamy texture of the frosting holds it’s shape well, making it ideal for creating beautiful designs with a piping bag.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- Have you tried Nutella before? YAH. Now imagine in it a frosting. Drool!
- It only takes 5 minutes to make.
- There are only 4 ingredients needed.
- It’s super easy!
- Unsalted Butter – Provides the base for the frosting, adding richness and creaminess to the mixture.
- Powdered Sugar – This is the primary sweetener in the recipe and also gives the frosting a smooth and creamy texture.
- Nutella – The star of the show! Nutella adds a rich and nutty flavor to the frosting, as well as a lovely chocolatey color. Its creamy texture also helps to create a smooth and spreadable consistency.
- Milk or Cream – Milk or cream thins out the frosting to make it easier to pipe.
HOW TO MAKE NUTELLA FROSTING
Soften butter: Using your favorite method, soften the butter until it’s at room temperature.
Cream the butter and sugar: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the unsalted butter with powdered sugar. Cream on low for 1 minute, and move up to medium speed as it combines.
Finish the frosting: Add Nutella and milk to the mixture and whip on medium-high speed for 1-2 minutes.
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature before starting the recipe. This will make it easier to cream with powdered sugar and create a smooth, fluffy frosting. Learn how to soften butter quickly here.
- Sift the powdered sugar before adding it to the mixer to remove any lumps help create a smoother consistency.
- If the frosting is too thick or stiff, add a little extra milk or cream, a teaspoon at a time, until it thins out. Be careful not to add too much liquid, or the frosting may become too runny.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: Store the frosting in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Let it come to room temperature before using again. You may have to re whip to or stir the frosting to combine.
Freezing: Add the frosting to a freezer safe bag or wrao it tightly in plastic wrap. Freeze for 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator, then rewhip to bring back the right consistency.
What’s the difference between Nutella and frosting?
Nutella is a creamy hazelnut spread and is not a necessarily a frosting. Frosting is a type of icing that can be used to top cakes and cupcakes. Nutella frosting is made with the addition of Nutella to regular buttercream frosting and will give your desserts a rich and nutty flavor.
Can you use Nutella to frost cakes or cupcakes?
Out of the jar, Nutella is not great for frosting as it’s too thick and sticky. You can easily make a Nutella frosting with butter, powdered sugar, Nutella, and milk or cream to create a frosting that will give your cakes and cupcakes an amazing flavor.
WAYS TO ENJOY
Pipe delicious Nutella frosting on your favorite desserts!
Thick Nutella Frosting (You Can Pipe!)
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar 420g
- ½ cup Nutella
- 2 tsp milk or cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the 1 cup unsalted butter with 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar.
- Cream on low for 1 minute, and move up to medium when it’s more combined.
- Add in ½ cup nutella and 2 tsp milk or cream and whip on medium- high speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Fit a piping bag with an open star tip and fill it with frosting.
- Pipe the frosting over the cupcakes and top with nuts, or shaved chocolate.