This small batch of chocolate chip cookies are perfect to make when you need a good cookie STAT but don’t want to go through the fuss of making a whole batch! Soft and chewy, this recipe makes only 6 cookies.
Ever get a SERIOUS craving for an ooey gooey warm and chocolatey chocolate chip cookie?
YES ALL THE TIME AM I RIGHT?
Usually I like to store some extra dough or extra baked cookies in my freezer for when I need a quick easy to bake treat. These coffee cookies are perfect for just that.
But when I don’t have any reserves left (I know, the horror), and I don’t feel like making a whole batch , I make these small batch chocolate chip cookies.
Small batch chocolate chip cookies
Unlike other cookie recipes like these brownie cookies (which make about 18 cookies) are great for a crowd, this recipe only makes 6 cookies. They are perfect for you and your family’s late night cravings. Or just yours- no judgment. These cookies are so damn good I would for sure eat all 6 of them.
They are a little crisp on the edges but so super soft and chewy on the inside. The chocolate just oozes out of the center and if you sprinkle a little Maldon on top, they are straight up irresistible.
Make these cookies in one bowl using these baking pantry staple ingredients:
- Softened unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- chopped semi sweet chocolate (or chips but I prefer to chop my own!)
- Maldon (optional but also highly recommend)
How to make small batch chocolate chip cookies
The way to make these cookies is just like any other cookie recipe. You are just using less quantity of each ingredient. This makes the batter easier to assemble and less time to bake, wohoo!
First cream the butter and sugars together in a bowl.
Use a wooden spoon or spatula until a paste forms. Then add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Mix until the cookie dough forms.
Chop up a chocolate baking bar or add in the chocolate chips at this point. Save a handful to add to the top of each scoop of dough before baking.
Scoop out uniform scoops using an ice cream or large cookie scoop. If you only have a tablespoon, use two per each scoop. Place on a cookie sheet and freeze for 30 mins to one hour.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Press the extra bits of chocolate onto the frozen dough scoops and bake for 18-20 mins depending on how crispy you like the edges.
Sprinkle with Maldon when they come out of the oven, let cool for 3 mins and devour.
How to store
Honestly you shouldnt need to know this because you should just eat all the cookies but if you need to store them, store them in an airtight container or ziplock bag on your counter.
Place the cookie dough balls or baked cookies in a freezer safe bag if you want to freeze them.
How to get those pools of chocolate:
If you are wondering how to get those melty pools of chocolate in your chocolate chip cookies, you need to either use a high quality chocolate baking wafers like Guittard, or chop up your own chocolate bar.
My favorite are the Guittard baking bars. I also always like to chop up my own chocolate because it is more rustic looking and you get more chocolate all over versus in just a few spots.
I do not recommend using regular chocolate chips like nestle or something for this recipe.
Chocolate chips have additives that are put in to make sure the chips stay in their shape throughout baking so you won’t get those puddles if you use them. Sad, but true.
If that’s all you have and you don’t care about the pools of chocolate then go for it!
Lemme know if you make these! I made them late one night with no plans to put them on the blog but then they were SO insanely good, I just had to share! Please let me know in the comments below if you love them too!
Have more cookie craving? Try these recipes:
- The Best Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever
- Funfetti Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies
- Coffee Cookies
- Brownie Cookies
Heads up! This post contains affiliate links which means if you purchase something off one of these links, I get a small kickback! Thanks for supporting my blog!
Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened, (4 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup chopped semi sweet chocolate (sub chips if you have to)
- Maldon optional garnish
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a medium size mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon or spatual until a thick paste forms. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until evenly combined.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt and stir till dough forms.
- Chop up the chocolate or measure out the chips. Leave out a handful of chocolate on the side and add the rest in to the batter. Mix.
- Scoop out the dough using an ice cream scoop, a large cookie scoop, or using two tablespoons for one cookie dough ball. Press the leftover chocolate pieces all over the tops of each cookie. Place on a cookie sheet leaving 1.5 inch space between each one and freeze for 30-60 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and bake for 18- 20 mins. Sprinkle with Maldon if you feelin fancy.