This post might have affiliate links, please check out my full disclosure policy.
These Moist Mini Vanilla Cupcakes are perfect for any occasion. They are simple to make, using only basic baking ingredients. Whether you are planning a birthday party or just want a sweet bite-sized treat, these mini cupcakes will definitely hit the spot!
A mini cupcake is just a smaller version of a regular-sized cupcake. This recipe is a scaled down version of my homemade vanilla cupcakes packed into bite size! I love mini cupcakes because you can make them in any flavor – hello mini chocolate cupcakes– and because they are so much fun to eat!
You can also top mini cupcakes with basically any frosting. Try my classic American buttercream frosting, or 5 minute coffee frosting, or a zesty lemon buttercream!
This cupcake recipe also uses cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. As we learned in pastry school, cake flour is milled to have a lower protein content than all-purpose flour which results in a more tender cake.
This is a great flour to use if you want a light and airy cupcake that’s not too heavy and tastes delicious! If you’d like some ideas on how to make these even cuter, check out how to bake cute cupcakes!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS RECIPE
- This easy cupcake recipe uses simple baking ingredients and makes 24 mini cupcakes.
- Mini cupcakes are the perfect treat to add to a fabulous grazing table if you are making food for a crowd!
- The entire recipe takes just 20 minutes from start to finish.
- Vanilla cupcakes are a great base for any flavored topping or buttercream frosting.
- Cake Flour – This light and fine flour is used to create a tender and fluffy texture in baked goods and is perfect for mini cupcakes.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – This allows the cupcakes to rise properly making them moist and airy.
- Kosher Salt – Helps balance the flavors and activate the leavening agents.
- Unsalted Butter – Adds richness to the batter along with a buttery flavor.
- Sugar – Sweetens up the vanilla cupcake batter.
- Egg & Egg Whites – Used to bind all of the ingredients together so the cupcakes set while baking and cooling.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds light and warming vanilla flavor to the cupcakes.
- Buttermilk – Helps thin out the cupcake batter while keeping it creamy and satisfying.
HOW TO MAKE MINI VANILLA CUPCAKES
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 350F and line a mini muffin pan with 24 mini muffin liners. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a medium-size bowl combine the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt. Whisk until fully combined.
- Cream the wet ingredients: In the bowl of a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium speed. Scrape the butter off the sides, then add the sugar. Mix again until light and fluffy. This should take about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl again, then add the eggs, egg white, and vanilla extract. Mix for an additional minute until fully combined.
- Assemble the cupcake batter: To the wet mixture, add in 1/3 of the dry mixture followed by the buttermilk. Continue to alternate ending with the dry ingredients. Mix everything until just combined.
- Bake, cool, and serve: Add 1/2 tablespoon of batter to each of the mini muffin liners making sure each is only 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cake is completely set through the center. Let cool completely on a wire rack before frosting and serving.
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- Use softened butter. If you forgot to leave your butter out, learn how to soften butter quickly.
- When combining the wet and dry ingredients, be sure to mix until just combined. Over mixing the batter will result in tough cupcakes.
- Do not overfill the mini muffin liners with batter. If they are too full, the cupcakes will overflow while baking and will be difficult to remove from the tin. Each mini muffin tin gets 1/2 tablespoon per liner.
- It’s important to make sure all of your perishable ingredients are at room temperature. This will help them mix together evenly and produce a more consistent final product.
- A stand mixer or a hand mixer can be used to make this recipe. If using a hand mixer, mix the wet ingredients on medium speed and the dry ingredients on low speed.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storing: These cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-5 days.
Freezing: These cupcakes can be frozen for up to two months. Be sure to place them in an airtight container or bag and thaw overnight before enjoying. I recommend freezing the cupcakes before frosting them. Frost them the day you are serving them.
What to do if you dont have cake flour
I highly recommend getting it but if you can’t find cake flour, you can substitute all-purpose flour. For each cup of flour, remove 2 tablespoons and replace them with an equal amount of cornstarch.
What to use if you dont have buttermilk
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can use milk. For each cup of buttermilk called for in the recipe, take out one tablespoon and replace it with one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and now you have buttermilk!
You can also just use milk but it might alter the taste a little!
Mini cupcakes go great with a spread of homemade buttercream frosting. Check out these frosting recipes below to top your vanilla cupcakes:
- Mascarpone Frosting
- Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- Raspberry Buttercream Frosting
- Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Moist Mini Vanilla Cupcakes
- ¾ cup cake flour (108g)
- 2 tbsp cake flour addtional
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (56g) softened to room temperature
- ½ cup sugar (100g)
- 1 egg (50g)
- 1 egg white (35g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup buttermilk at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a mini muffin tin with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium size bowl combine the ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp cake flour, ½ tsp baking powder, ⅛ tsp baking soda, and ⅛ tsp kosher salt. Whisk until combined.
- In the bowl of a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the ¼ cup butter for 1 minute on medium speed. Scrape down the bowl and add ½ cup sugar.
- Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the egg, egg white and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix for 1 minute on medium speed.
- Add in 1/3rd of the dry ingredients, then half of the buttermilk and alternate, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix only until combined. Do not overmix.
- Using a ½ tbsp, scoop the batter into the muffin liners ¾ of the way full. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cake is set.
- Cool and frost with your favorite buttercream.
Excellent turnout! Is there anyway to turn this recipe into a 3 layer cake?
Sam Adler says
Hi Danie! Yes you totally can! These are a smaller version of my homemade vanilla cupcakes which you can double up and make into a layer cake. Please let me know if you do!! So glad you loved these!!
Can this recipe be multiplied to make a large batch of about 150?
Sam Adler says
Hi! I havent tried it but I dont see why not!
I did today! and they were phenomenal! OMG! … dusted them with hydrated Strawberries topped with custom toppers…thank you!!!
Sam Adler says
That sounds amazing Kay! So glad it worked out, happy holidays!!