This post might have affiliate links, please check out my full disclosure policy.
This Fluffy White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is perfect for any cake, cupcake, or dessert. It’s fluffy, creamy, and has the perfect amount of sweetness! Plus it takes only 10 minutes to make! In just a few simple steps, you can have delicious white chocolate frosting that will take your desserts to the next level!
Buttercream frosting is a combination of butter, powdered sugar, extract for flavor, and some milk or cream. The reason why everyone loves it to top their cakes and cupcakes is because it is super simple to make- takes about 5-10 minutes tops- and can be flavored virtually in any way you want!
We all know that chocolate frosting is absolutely delicious, but have you ever had white chocolate frosting? It’s a favorite among my homemade frosting recipes and is delicious on top of white chocolate cupcakes or these white chocolate raspberry cupcakes.
It’s also the frosting I use for my spring favorite blackberry cake.
White chocolate is a deliciously sweet and creamy flavor that pairs perfectly with cakes and cupcakes. It’s also a beautiful frosting color for weddings and other special occasions!
The best part is how simple it is to make! As a trained pastry chef , I love when a recipe is delicious but also simple- this recipe only takes 10 minutes!
If you love to experiment with fun frosting flavors, you’ll love making coffee buttercream frosting, lemon cream cheese frosting, caramel buttercream, and smooth brown sugar buttercream!
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE THIS Frosting
- You can use it to frost cakes, cupcakes, brownies, or eat it with a spoon!
- The smooth flavor of white chocolate turns any dessert into a decadent treat.
- It takes just 10 minutes to make from start to finish.
- Perfect for special occasions or when you’re feeling fancy!
- Unsalted Butter – The smooth base of the frosting, butter adds a rich texture along with buttery flavor.
- White Chocolate – Gives the frosting a smooth and creamy taste along with sweetness.
- Confectioners Sugar – Blends into the frosting mixture to make it thick and sweet.
- Heavy Cream – Helps thin out the frosting to the perfect consistency while keeping it creamy.
HOW TO MAKE WHITE CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- Melt the white chocolate: Add the white chocolate to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave it in 30-second intervals making sure to stir each time until fully melted. Let it cool for 5 minutes before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cream the butter and sugar: To a stand mixer, add the butter and sugar. Mix starting on low speed with the paddle attachment then moving to medium speed until creamy and fluffy. This should take 1-2 minutes.
- Add the white chocolate: Drizzle the melted white chocolate into the creamed butter and sugar mixture and continue to mix for a further minute until well combined and creamy.
- Add heavy cream: Add heavy cream to the mixture until the desired consistency is reached.
The best white chocolate to use
For the best flavor you want to use a white chocolate baking bar like Ghirardelli or Baker’s. White chocolate bars are better than chips because they contain cocoa butter and not oil like chocolate chips do. This results in a better flavor and higher quality chocolate!
This recipe makes enough frosting to fill and frost a 2 layer 8″ round cake, a 9×13 sheet cake, or frost 12 cupcakes.
TIPS FOR RECIPE SUCCESS
- The butter should be at room temperature before beginning the recipe. This allows it to cream together with the sugar more easily and results in a fluffier frosting. Learn how to soften butter quickly in 3 easy ways!
- If you want a stiffer frosting, add less heavy cream. If you want a runnier/pouring consistency, add more heavy cream until desired consistency is reached.
- The melted white chocolate should be cooled for at least 5 minutes to ensure that it doesn’t melt the butter when added.
- Start mixing the butter and sugar together at low speed so the sugar does not fly out of the bowl then move to medium speed once the mixture is well combined.
- To get smooth and creamy frosting, make sure all ingredients are mixed together until completely combined.
STORAGE AND FREEZING
Storage: To store white chocolate buttercream, keep it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week or in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Freezing: This recipe can be frozen for up to three months. To freeze, place frosting in a freezer-safe bag and squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing. Thaw overnight in the fridge then bring it to room temperature before using.
What’s the best white chocolate to use for buttercream frosting?
I recommend using a premium white chocolate with a cocoa butter content of at least 30%. This will ensure that your frosting is smooth and creamy. I used Baker’s White Chocolate. White chocolate chips are not as high quality as a baking bar so it is preferred to use!
Can I use milk chocolate instead of white chocolate?
Yes, you can! Just keep in mind that the frosting will no longer be white in color but will have a light brown hue from the milk chocolate. The flavor will also be slightly different with milk chocolate being sweeter than white chocolate.
How do I make white chocolate buttercream less sweet?
If you find the frosting too sweet for your taste, you can add a touch of salt to balance out the sweetness. Start with ¼ teaspoon and add more to taste. You can also add in a little bit of lemon juice or zest for a tart flavor.
Can I use white chocolate chips?
Yes, you can use white chocolate chips though they may increase the sweetness in the recipe.
WAYS TO ENJOY
This versatile white chocolate icing can be used in so many different ways! Check out our favorite ways to enjoy below!
- Strawberry Basil Cake
- Frost on One Bowl Brownies
- Vanilla Cupcakes with Oil
- White Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches
- 6 Inch Chocolate Cake
Other frosting recipes to try
10 Minutes Fluffy White Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature (227g)
- 3 cups confectioners sugar (340 g)
- 6 oz white chocolate melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or more if needed
- In a microwavable safe bowl, microwave the white chocolate 30 seconds at a time mixing in between until melted. Stir and cool for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the 1 cup butter and 3 cups of confectioners sugar and mix on low speed then move up to medium speed.
- Mix until creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle the melted white chocolate into the creamed butter and sugar. Mix on low to medium speed for 1 minute until creamy.
- Add in the tbsp of heavy cream, and mix again until combined and super fluffy.
When do you add the powdered sugar?
Sam Adler says
Hi Diane, you cream the butter and powdered sugar, powdered sugar is also called confectioners sugar and you can see the exact instructions in the recipe card 🙂
Hi! Is this frosting able to be colored? I need it brown but want white chocolate buttercream frosting!
Sam Adler says
Totally! You can easily frost it with a gel or water based food coloring. Have fun!
Ronald Lucido says
First time to make white chocolate butter cream frosting. What will happen to the consistency if I reduced powdered sugar to 2.5 Cups?
Thanks for your advise
Sam Adler says
Hi Ronald! If you only use 2.5 cups of powdered sugar then you will need to reduce the amount of chocolate to 4 oz and the milk to 1/2 tbsp you put in. Otherwise the chocolate will be too much for the frosting and may make it harder to mix. You may also not have enough frosting to cover an entire cake.
Ron Lucido says
Thank you very much. Extremely excited to make This!
Sam Adler says
Please let me know how it comes out Ron!
Barbara Kalish says
Excellent recipe! I frosted 24 cup cakes with 1/2 quantity and still had lots left over. Could easily do another 12 cup cakes. Also – I used Callebaut bar chocolate which I cut into small pieces for melting. Worked wonderfully in a double boiler. Added a little warm milk to lighten the thickness of the chocolate. I also replaced the cream with warm whole milk (I didn’t have any cream) and the results were excellent.
Sam Adler says
So glad to hear it Barbara! Thank you so much for your 5 star rating and comment!!